Cheeky Corsairs: -5, -6, -7

Wlad

Hi,

Now that I have cleared the last troublesome kit I will build from my stash (AMT P-40N), it's time to get to the Corsairs. It started with the F4U-5, then I found an AU-1 (F4U-6) kit I didn't know existed, and recently I found an F4U-7. I thought I'd work on them all together since they are all related. As everything will be in triplicate this will be a slow build.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From another posting:

53268604384_7a74974816_c.jpgIMG_4061 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

And @corsaircorp posted:

"Oh my God....

On the left a fine -5 engine cowling, In the middle AU-1 and the right one is wrong....

They both used the restored -7 that received a hand made engine cowling as a template...

At a time where accuracy was at best vaguely followed.....

We can put this story with the one of the Diesel engines on the WWII german tanks.....

Go on for Corsairs !! the best idea one can have !!! 

I'll follow your Corsair adventures if you don't mind it !!

Sincerely.

CC"

Hi CC, I'd love to have you onboard. Regarding the -7, Rafe Morrisey and Joe Hegedus state "The cowl ring was not the same as that of the F4U-4, though, as the F4U-7 retained the pear shaped cowl cross-section of the F4U-5 series and AU-1, as well as the cowl-flap configuration and exhaust pipe positioning of the AU-1"*. When I checked the kit, the firewall is pear shaped, so the cowling has to match it eventually. The F4U-7 which is flying in France was an Argentinean F4U-5, and the cowling had to be custom made as the F4U-4 cowling won't fit. Did you find information to the contrary?

Now, check this out: https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/200988489/n811ap-chance-vought-f4u-7-corsair. There is a head-on picture of N811AP and the cowling looks like the kit's cowling.

And another F4U-7 airframe: https://aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=140401. The cowling has the cheeks.

Cheers,

Wlad

*The Vought F4U Corsair - A Comprehensive Guide, from SAM Publications.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, well....:worms::worms:

Knowing that the F4U-7 received reconditionned PW 2800 from the late series of F4U-4....

The -5 of La Ferté Alais is a pure -5N, I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time around her...

The corsair of Le Castelet was a -4.

Now, I'll be not be categoric, but here are some food for thoughts...

Pics coming from the book from René Bail "L'aventure Corsair"

Posted here for inspirational purposes and can be removed on demand....

IMG_20231020_001054

A -7 beside an AU-1, this one is clear enough for me,

Alas, there are a few pics of a -7 head on...

But....

IMG_20231020_001249

That one is just good enough to me too....

IMG_20231020_001314 IMG_20231020_001228

It look more like a -5 with a -4 nose....

IMG_20231020_001222

And here's a french AU-1 below

IMG_20231020_001123

That last one is clearly pear shaped...

Now, everything is a hobby after all...

It is up to you to make your own mind...

And that will be good that way indeed....:cheers:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Scroll down here for the details of the F4U-5/"6"/7 Corsair cowlings: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-last-propeller-pulled-corsairs-f4u.html

Thank you @Tailspin Turtle, your information confirms mine. I also realized what I had called a firewall on the kit isn't. The firewall is further back.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 3

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well, well....:worms::worms:

Knowing that the F4U-7 received reconditionned PW 2800 from the late series of F4U-4....

The -5 of La Ferté Alais is a pure -5N, I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time around her...

The corsair of Le Castelet was a -4.

Now, I'll be not be categoric, but here are some food for thoughts...

Pics coming from the book from René Bail "L'aventure Corsair"

Posted here for inspirational purposes and can be removed on demand....

A -7 beside an AU-1, this one is clear enough for me,

Alas, there are a few pics of a -7 head on...

But....

That one is just good enough to me too....

It look more like a -5 with a -4 nose....

And here's a french AU-1 below

That last one is clearly pear shaped...

Now, everything is a hobby after all...

It is up to you to make your own mind...

And that will be good that way indeed....:cheers:

Wow, CC, quite the pictures. I can see the cheeks on the F4U-7 head-on picture; though it is very hard, or impossible, to notice them on the others due to the dark paint and the chin intake pulls one's attention away from the cheeks. Did you see the head-on pictures from the two links I posted? I'm going with the cheeks.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 2

So, a small update. I'm my line of work we like to identify risks early and mitigate them. If we fail, we fail early, learn from it, and adjust the approach. I've realized this is carrying on to how I build my models. So, I've established the scope, and I will tackle the risky parts early so I don't have a hung build, or builds, later on.

First the engine. How much of it is visible, and what would enhance it? This is an area I absolutely want to maximize the work not done. Imagine adding 36 ignition wires, two to each cylinder head, and not being able to see them once it's all closed up. Now, do that in triplicate. Sure, I'll know they are there, but is it valuable work? Here's the -5 cowling with engine; nothing is glued yet.

53271436905_25e758bcbf_c.jpgIMG_4110 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

I may add the 9 ignition wires to the front of the front row cylinders as they may be visible enough.

Next is the cockpit. Hasegawa took the one-size fits all approach and all have the F4U-5N instrument panel. I got a True Details enhancement set with panels for the F4U-5, F4U-5N, and AU-1. I wish they had omitted the -5N panel and included a F4U-7 one instead. It also includes items Hasegawa missed, like the arm rests for the seat, the "eyebrows" over the instrument panel, and a different reflector gun-sight. As I cannot find this enhancement set anymore, I will replicate some of these items. The -7 will have to do with a -5N panel made up to look different.

53270075162_43da7380ec_c.jpgIMG_4111 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

Here we see the seat bulkhead. True Details parts on left, kit parts on right. I'll add the seat belt hanger, and belts, to the kit's bulkhead.

53271324754_b63f528383_c.jpgIMG_4112 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

Lastly, these Corsairs had two radio altimeter antennas under the fuselage. These are missing on the kits. Tamiya included them for their F4U-2 kit and, by plan or fluke, my Tamiya F4U-1A kit includes the sprue with them. Rather than getting another two Tamiya Corsairs just for the antennas, I'll make the antennas from 0.6 mm and 0.5 mm styrene rods. Here's the Tamiya sprue, the antennas are part number 9, and the white thing on the right side is a test of the styrene rod approach. I'm surprised at how strong the join is with such little plastic.

53271324749_9e3a065028_c.jpgIMG_4113 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

The rest of the build seems risk free. The cockpit test fit, and the dry fit of major parts went well. The -5 and AU-1 are early kits, so the moulding is very good. The -7 is much more recent and the parts look just as good. The current plan is for a -5 from the Armada Argentina, an AU-1 from US Marines in Korea, and a French -7 with Suez stripes.

As much as I want to start with the antennas, I think I will tackle the gun-sight first. It's either going to be a blast, or sheer frustration. We'll see :wicked:.

Cheers,
Wlad

• Like 5

Thanks Wlad...

:wicked::wicked: Do I dare to say that the reductor case from the Hasegawa engine is wrong ??? :sad::sad:

From the -4 and onward, they used PW engine of -42 serie....

No longer the ogival reductor case....

IMG_20230327_230834

Here's my trick... I cut the right resin engine and glued it on the Hasegawa Cylinder bank....

That way, no need to build the engine cylinder by cylinder...

Then be careful about the wing pylons for the Armada -5

Seemingly, AFAIK, and so on, The Corsairs used in latin America were using these pylons instead of the zero lenghts ones....

IMG_20220730_225736

The bad new is that I never seen these in aftermarket.....

Now, I shut my mouth about Corsairs....:rofl2::rofl2:

I don't want to disturb anyway.....

The best way to follow is having a pic of the actual aircraft.... at the time being of course....

Carry on now, I stay quiet....:whistle::whistle:

Or at least, I'll try to stay quiet....:cheers:

Well done for the radio altimeter antennaes !!:thumbsup:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi CC,

Thanks for the info. I checked the images I have of Argentinean -5s and they all have the zero-length launchers, so I am not worried about the pylons.

As for the engine case, I took these pictures when -5NL, registered NX4901W, paid a visit in 2012.

53272725585_71270f70be_c.jpgIMG_4736 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

53271368307_1cf960e43d_c.jpgIMG_4734 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

53272259281_ce815a38ba_c.jpgIMG_4733 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

Other than some accessory (blockish, black, at 9:00 in the picture) the kit's case looks good enough for my purposes. Interestingly, the spark plug leads aren't as obvious as I thought they would be at this scale. Remember, I'm not looking for work to do on this kit. At the rate I build kits, my stash will outlive me. Funny enough I have a problem with that 😄.

Cheers,
Wlad

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

Today was fiddly work day. Lots of careful measuring, trying to cut straight vertically, filing, and gluing, here are the beginnings of three gun sights, with the original at top.

53274692862_f4bb1d1443_c.jpgIMG_4115 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

I can't imagine how the master was created for the resin casting. I found the mini miter box I have, coupled with the saws, allow for enough movement to make cutting small things like this really difficult. I forgot to get a scale on the picture. The whole thing is about 5 mm long. They look horrible magnified like this. A little more refinement is needed, though once they are painted black we may not notice it. I'll add two clear lenses punched from clear styrene on top, and attach a rectangular piece for the reflective glass. These took three hours to make :hypnotised:.

I also started on the arm rests. The resin part is not quite accurate, so I won't try to replicate it exactly. The support for the arm rest is the issue, as it's narrow and curved. I'll have to make three matching pairs...:unsure:

Cheers,
Wlad

• Like 2

I think you're right, @Gondor44, when we look at the pictures CC posted. I'm not too worried about it though. Looking at the head-on picture here https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/200988489/n811ap-chance-vought-f4u-7-corsair, it's close enough for me.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

Well, four sessions and all I got to show are parts. I've been doing exactly what I don't like, and shouldn't be, doing: working on parts for later. I'd like to finish something more substantial and useful. Here are examples of parts.

53285267757_20d013f26a_c.jpgIMG_4116 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

As a fast food commercial from the '80s would say: "parts is parts". These are armrest supports. Trying to get them even sized was quite the challenge, as the pattern was ground to a slightly smaller size as I was grinding the new ones. Ugh.

53286410073_c4726b78d5_c.jpgIMG_4121 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

More parts: Adjusted seats, left and right "eyebrows" for the panel, and armrests. I'm not happy about the arm rests, and I hope they don't go to waste. I'll see how bad they look once they are on the seats, as not all will be visible.

53286530289_a9f865fd4f_c.jpgIMG_4120 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

Instrument panels. From left to right: True Details F4U-5 and AU-1, Hasegawa F4U-5N (being modified to look more like an F4U-7 panel) and the original F4U-5N. I want to conduct an experiment on the -7 panel. If it works, I may build the -7 cockpit with the parts I have so far.

While checking my references I found a couple more interesting things. First, there are two wire bundles, one from each "eyebrow" running across the coaming and going into a hole on the right side. Second, the AU-1 I'd like to build needs a DF antenna fairing (the 2-D airfoil type). While I have one, it's slated for the F4U-5. I may need to manufacture one or change my plans slightly.

People who are into 3-D printing and resin casting, there may be a niche market in DF antenna fairings. I sure wish I somebody made them.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 2

Well done Wlad !!

The seats were for the early Corsairs....

There's just the AU-1 that has an ormored seat, if you need a pic....

For the seating bucket, I used the Hasegawa one, just cut it down, the armour plate is a simple bit of plasticard....

Just saying....

IMG_20230507_205204

Bucket and armour plate from the -4 on....

Great job on the eyebrow panels !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Thanks CC. I got pictures of the armoured seat. I'll see how the eyebrow panels fit a little later.

Small update, as I've been away visiting family for a few days. Instrument panels being readied. I've grafted the kit bases to the True Details panels. Used a flying model technique to hold everything together with pins over wax paper to prevent them sticking to the styrofoam. If I had thought this through a little more, I would have added the outline of the intact panel on a piece of paper underneath so things would be properly aligned :facepalm:. I'll have to tweak the base a little more on the AU-1 panel.

53303061443_56ccd70891_c.jpgIMG_4127 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

The experiment on the -7 panel went well. I added the black backed decal to the instrument panel, minus the radar screen. Then I punched a single instrument from the clear backed decal and added it to where the radar screen was. I got tired of waiting for Micro Set to do its thing and used Tamiya Mark Fit Strong. Discovered it dissolves Future and acrylic paint, luckily no major damage done. I also added the armrests to the seats. Turns out the worst part of the armrests won't be seen, and I was able to finesse a couple of them to look more presentable. I set some of them to be in the up position, for variety.

53303061448_8218eacbb3_c.jpgIMG_4128 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

The instruments in the True Details panels are deep and have relief, so I will paint them white first, add a soft black layer, then scratch out the details. Time consuming work ahead, and glad to see the seats with armrests now.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 3

A quick update, I've been painting the cockpit items. I also figured out where I need to drill a hole in the coaming, and how large it needs to be (1/16"). It's just in front of the instrument panel stop, just as it blends into the interior fuselage (you need to see it from inside). All three fuselages are drilled now.

53315605369_979c7b5ae4_c.jpgIMG_4129 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

Looking at those instrument panels, guess which one I'm not happy about? I'll see if I can remove that decal and do the flat black acrylic over white lacquer treatment, as I did with the other panels. The kit's instruments aren't as deep as the ones in the resin panels, so it won't be as effective or as easy to do. I got two spare panels, so I can experiment. Here is a close up of the -6 panel and cockpit.

53315494883_3befe3d9c3_c.jpgIMG_4130 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

I'll distress the cockpits some more, and start putting them together next.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 4

Hello again,

Today was a long day and it shows in the form of progress. I dirtied up and distressed the cockpits, and early in the day I had this:

53317654485_3049e1ace5_c.jpgIMG_4131 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

It's the -5 cockpit ready, minus two seatbelt buckles, and the -6 fuselage showing where the hole in the coaming goes (see previous post). I did one cockpit at a time, getting things ready as I waited for other things to dry. Building the cockpit floor and bulkheads on one fuselage side, without gluing it to the fuselage, to ensure proper angles. Then adding the seat, instrument panel and control column afterwards. I cut a thin strip of Tamiya tape to continue the seatbelts to their hanger on the rear cockpit bulkhead.

After a while I had the -6 cockpit ready, and the -7 cockpit is waiting for its panel.

53316315207_13054e143e_c.jpgIMG_4133 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

Took a lot of soaking in hot water, Windex, and IPA to get the panel decal off. I had to use a very sticky tape to pull most of it off, then scrub it. It's now shiny white, and I'll let the lacquer cure for a few days. I discovered the lacquer peeled off with the black acrylic on the other panels as I scraped the details. Could have been insufficient time for it to cure before I sprayed the acrylic, or lack of primer on the resin, or both. I'll use Tamiya NATO Black on this one, instead of Model Master Interior Black. Same combination as used on the P-40's panel, which worked well.

And here is where things are at now. The -5 fuselage is closed, the -6 fuselage is closed and curing, the -7 cockpit is waiting for its panel.

53316315247_94e3a8ca73_c.jpgIMG_4134 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

One other thing I did was address the mould line on the forward fuselage. The mould for these kits allows for two front ends: one for the -5, and one for the -6 and -7. There is a slight misalignment which results in a vertical raised edge along the forward fuselage. It's just visible in the -7 fuselage above, slightly back from the second ejector pin mark. I've read nasty remarks about this and I figured out a way to remove it without obliterating the detail around it. I used the X-Acto blade as a planer, gently removing the step a little at a time. Then I sanded the affected area with a tri-grit sanding stick, not to level the area but to smooth out the blade work. Looks like it worked well, and I got better at it as I went along so the -7 fuselage looks better than the -5 fuselage 😀. The affected area now shows some distortion, like oil canning, which is better than a raised straight line that should not be there.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 3

Hello,

Today was a disappointing day. I spent my time sanding the fuselage join lines, especially the -6 one. Things had been going so well, I had not expected to run into this kind of issue. The forward section doesn't touch all the way along so the seam is obvious; the spine and the belly are OK if aligned properly. I'll take my time with the -7 fuselage to minimize these join issues.

I also checked the cowlings. They don't fit well either, and there is some interesting overlap with the side exhaust port on the -6 and -7. I'm curious to see how it pans out later. I expect more trouble once there is an engine attached to the fuselage. The cowlings also needed sanding to remove mould lines. The tri-grit sanding sticks sure came out in anger today.

Next is the -7 panel, cockpit, and cementing the fuselage. Then figure out the gun sight, eyebrows, and wiring over the coaming.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 7:11 PM, Wlad said:

Hello again,

Today was a long day and it shows in the form of progress. I dirtied up and distressed the cockpits, and early in the day I had this:

53317654485_3049e1ace5_c.jpgIMG_4131 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

It's the -5 cockpit ready, minus two seatbelt buckles, and the -6 fuselage showing there the hole in the coaming goes (see previous post). I did one cockpit at a time, getting things ready as I waited for other things to dry. Building the cockpit floor and bulkheads on one fuselage side, without gluing it to the fuselage, to ensure proper angles. Then adding the seat, instrument panel and control column afterwards. I cut a thin strip of Tamiya tape to continue the seatbelts to their hanger on the rear cockpit bulkhead.

After a while I had the -6 cockpit ready, and the -7 cockpit is waiting for its panel.

53316315207_13054e143e_c.jpgIMG_4133 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

Took a lot of soaking in hot water, Windex, and IPA to get the panel decal off. I had to use a very sticky tape to pull most of it off, then scrub it. It's now shiny white, and I'll let the lacquer cure for a few days. I discovered the lacquer peeled off with the black acrylic on the other panels as I scraped the details. Could have been insufficient time for it to cure before I sprayed the acrylic, or lack of primer on the resin, or both. I'll use Tamiya NATO Black on this one, instead of Model Master Interior Black. Same combination as used on the P-40's panel, which worked well.

And here is where things are at now. The -5 fuselage is closed, the -6 fuselage is closed and curing, the -7 cockpit is waiting for its panel.

53316315247_94e3a8ca73_c.jpgIMG_4134 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

One other thing I did was address the mould line on the forward fuselage. The mould for these kits allows for two front ends: one for the -5, and one for the -6 and -7. There is a slight misalignment which results in a vertical raised edge along the forward fuselage. It's just visible in the -7 fuselage above, slightly back from the second ejector pin mark. I've read nasty remarks about this and I figured out a way to remove it without obliterating the detail around it. I used the X-Acto blade as a planer, gently removing the step a little at a time. Then I sanded the affected area with a tri-grit sanding stick, not to level the area but to smooth out the blade work. Looks like it worked well, and I got better at it as I went along so the -7 fuselage looks better than the -5 fuselage 😀. The affected area now shows some distortion, like oil canning, which is better than a raised straight line that should not be there.

Cheers,

Wlad

What I’ve done with the mould seam on the fuselage is I flooded the area with superglue. I rescribed all the detail and used a punch to replace all the lost donuts. Hasegawa actually makes a tool that is a perfect match to these circular donuts in the area. The tool was released soon after the Hasegawa Corsairs, It makes me wonder if they were released for their Corsairs.

• Like 1

It's ambitious to do three of these at the same time while doing all those modifications to the engines and cockpits. Some nice work here! All the technical differences between types are quite beyond me 🙃 so lucky to have experts like CC on hand. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Scooby said:

What I’ve done with the mould seam on the fuselage is I flooded the area with superglue. I rescribed all the detail and used a punch to replace all the lost donuts. Hasegawa actually makes a tool that is a perfect match to these circular donuts in the area. The tool was released soon after the Hasegawa Corsairs, It makes me wonder if they were released for their Corsairs.

Thanks, @Scooby, that's an ambitious approach as there is a lot of detail there. I'm happy with the result I achieved and I didn't have to rescribe anything. Now I'm dealing with the join line on the upper forward fuselage, and that's been a pain. I was hoping adding TET to the join and squeezing the fuselage halves together would create a ridge I could scrape or sand. It's easier on soft plastic. At least two fuselages are done. I will get creative with the -7 fuselage, let's see what happens.

4 hours ago, marvinneko said:

It's ambitious to do three of these at the same time while doing all those modifications to the engines and cockpits. Some nice work here! All the technical differences between types are quite beyond me 🙃 so lucky to have experts like CC on hand. 

Thanks @marvinneko. It's been a lot of fiddly work and I'm just now seeing some progress. I'm doing all three together because, from a kit perspective, they are basically the same airframe with different noses and antenna options. I've got all my research done, and have the references I need to differentiate the three types. The kits are basically sound, so I expect I can cruise along without too many hurdles once I get past the cockpits and forward fuselages.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 2

Hello,

No sanding today. Instead, behold the Mk.23 gunsight and the new -7 panel:

53325953990_6dbb440b9b.jpgIMG_4136  53325954005_9cbd3cb40f.jpgIMG_4139

The gunsights are 5 mm X 3.5 mm X 6 mm. All three are ready. Turns out the pieces which went underneath won't be needed as the gunsight will sit on the coaming. I thought about adding a decal in the empty spot on the panel, where the radar scope sits on the -5N, yet I gave up on the idea. It won't be very visible once the panel is in place and the gunsight will sit above it.

Now the -7 has a cockpit. A little paint touch up, then cement the two fuselage halves and sand the seams away... 🫤

53325954040_30df0902ee_c.jpgIMG_4140 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

53325954055_efcedb43e3_c.jpgIMG_4141 by Wlad Franco-Valias, on Flickr

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 3

On 11/10/2023 at 11:50 AM, Wlad said:

Thanks, @Scooby, that's an ambitious approach as there is a lot of detail there. I'm happy with the result I achieved and I didn't have to rescribe anything. Now I'm dealing with the join line on the upper forward fuselage, and that's been a pain. I was hoping adding TET to the join and squeezing the fuselage halves together would create a ridge I could scrape or sand. It's easier on soft plastic. At least two fuselages are done. I will get creative with the -7 fuselage, let's see what happens.

Cheers,

Wlad

It was actually terrifying to do it that way. It was a lot of work and took me a lot of time to perfect.

I’ve noticed a lot of builds where the mold seam isn’t even touched, I often wonder if the builders knew it was there.