Interwar RAF silver winged aircraft - metal parts painted or not?

TheKinksFan

Apologies for asking yet again another colour question, I'm sure this has been asked many times in the past. I know that Coastal Command and Fleet Air Arm aircraft had their metal parts painted in the so called Cerrux Grey, which is said to be very close to FS 36440 Light Gull Gray. But what about RAF aircraft? Where the metal parts left unpainted?

I have a Sword 1/72 Sea Gladiator, and if I choose to build an un-camouflaged version, I will use MRP FS 36440 for the metal panels. But concerning RAF aircraft, when I look at black and white photographs, there seems to be minimal difference between the fabric covered rear fuselage and the nose. Should I paint them in different paints, something for the aluminium dope, and something not especially shiny for the rest?

I have also an 1/72 AMG Hawker Hart in my stash. Why is the nose so spectacularly shiny in these Hawker biplanes? That contrast between the nose and the rest will make a good looking kit.  

• Like 1

Gladiators in service look to have aluminium paint finish on metal panels to (more or less) match aluminium dope of fabric parts.  Same types of finishes used on undersides of early spitfires.

By the time of Gladiator I assume the RAF had better things to do than polish cowlings, which was the finish on the Hawker biplanes.  Polished bare metal finish takes a lot of maintenance in the British climate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Corrosion was the big problem on these aircraft which is why they are painted.  They were often parked outside during increment weather and flew in a damp atmosphere.  Thus metal panels were painted with, I think V1 Aluminium paint. The fabric surfaces were Aluminium doped, the the same colour specification but the nitrocellulose medium changed the reflectivity slightly over time.  Hence the obvious appearance.  On a model you should allow for this by using slightly different aluminium paints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Starmer said:

Corrosion was the big problem on these aircraft which is why they are painted.  They were often parked outside during increment weather and flew in a damp atmosphere.  Thus metal panels were painted with, I think V1 Aluminium paint. The fabric surfaces were Aluminium doped, the the same colour specification but the nitrocellulose medium changed the reflectivity slightly over time.  Hence the obvious appearance.  On a model you should allow for this by using slightly different aluminium paints.

Fortunately I  I've got several different aluminium paints. This proves that you can never have too many hobby paints... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This topic had me puzzled too, photographs like this:

RcU7pZ.jpg

clearly showing a marked difference on these Gauntlets (the Gladiator's predecessor of course) between the metal panels and the fabric sections.  My understanding is that as the threat of war became more serious the Air Ministry issued a directive that manufacturers of (previously) shiny panels should henceforth supply them with an anodized finish.  This is a more detailed explanation from my source Christopher (forgotten his surnames):

The panels were aluminium and were anodized as an anti-corrosion measure. An anodized aluminium panel will appear matt in finish.  The Gauntlet was a transition between polishing and painting. The early Gauntlet Mk.1s (the K40-- series and only with No. 19 Squadron) started out with highly polished panels like the Furys and others before them. The Mk.2s, however, came into service as the polishing policy was actively discouraged and used unpolished anodized panels. The Gladiators were painted overall aluminium as paint formulas had improved to the extent that anodizing wasn't needed.

Interesting pic showing a marked difference on this Gauntlet:

i3sYlw.jpg

For my own kit I choose to use an anodized aluminium finish like this but who's to say if it's right or not?!

nkA82c.jpg

IW0Dk9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Very interesting information @galgos. MRP has anozided aluminium in their range. It seems to be quite greenish, and the label says it's for some modern Russian whatever (not my area of interest). Did you use that or mix your own anodized aluminium?

That first Gauntlet photo is intriguing, the difference is so stark, and the cowling is a bit different shade than the nose.

Your Gauntlet looks amazing, these interwar planes and schemes are fascinating. is it the Silver Wings 1/32?

Yes, Silver Wings with a few extras, like the two blade Watts prop, an Aldis and ring and bead sight, etc etc.  I used the MRP anodized paint, as with all their paints it sprays well but this was over a Bare Metal Foil surface:

18yMVc.jpg

wSMm2R.jpg

HTH

Max 

PS…and talking of shiny noses:

RjZvv6.jpg

Silver Wings Hawker Demon 608 (North Riding) Squadron.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My tried and tested formula is this. 

1 Prime model with Grey primer Halfords is perfect. smooth off with sanding stick or wet and dry paper. wash the model and let dry.

2 Humbrol polished Aluminium , two coats brushed on will give you a nice even finish ( use a wide brush )

3 Humbrol no 11 is great for polished engine cowlings and gives a nice contrast between the two Silvers.   
   4 Apply decals .

5 Sit back and enjoy your master piece  works every time.👍

• Like 1