Hobby Boss 1:48 F4U-5 Corsair

OK here goes... A Hobby Boss 1/48 F4U-5 Corsair. Initially a project for myself and my 10 year old son. We found this kit hard and he lost interest along the way with this kit so it's more my work than his (luckily he's not lost interest in modelling we have another two kits he's working on). The WIP is here.

Hand brushed with Revell Enamels the main 'Sea Blue' is a 1:4 mix of Anthracite and Lufthansa Blue thinned with White Spirit. 5 coats applied.

Coat of Humbrol Gloss varnish (thinned with Humbrol enamel thinners discovered this half way through the project!!!) hand brushed before decals were applied using Micro Set mainly (a little micro sol for the decals over the detail).

I did try a little gun smoke / exhaust smoke by dry brushing some ground pastel (black for the gun, brown / black for the exhaust) but they don't show that well - mainly due to the dark of the blue I think.

Final coat of gloss was Humbrol spray enamel. Not sure I was so happy with this finish I think my spray skills probably lacked below my brushing skills.

This is my second model since rediscovering this hobby. I learnt a lot. There were a few emotional times when things weren't going right. But some rewards along the way. Here it is 'warts n all'... Any feedback appreciated.

IMG-20211231-125147730-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211231-123338245-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211231-123243753-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211231-121737851-HDR.jpg

IMG-20211231-123351648-HDR-1.jpg

IMG-20211231-123531456-HDR.jpg

Edited by Freester
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoyed following your WIP thread and am very pleased to see that you've got her finished now.  I think she looks absolutely cracking, especially when you consider that this is your second model.  Well done indeed.

• Thanks 1