Brian Lanes Spitfire P9386 QV-K. Underside tech stencils or not?

Lindsey C

45 minutes ago, Lindsey C said:

Am I reading this wrong? It reads to me that P9386 was delivered to No.19 Squadron on 18th May 1940.

Rgds,

Lindsey

Looks to me like the date is after the milestone, so it would be "19Sq 'QV-K' 3-9-40".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fukuryu said:

Looks to me like the date is after the milestone, so it would be "19Sq 'QV-K' 3-9-40".

Yup, thanks @Fukuryu. Fits in. Arrived on the 3rd September, not the 4th as stated on the the thread earlier. Must have arrived near midnight of the 3rd! 😂

Rgds,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C

On 11/19/2021 at 10:19 PM, Troy Smith said:

@Troy Smith. Do you know what the bits of material that are sticking out from the underside of the elevators, just outside the trim tabs on pictures 8, 18 & 21, were for?

Rgds,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C

Where technical stencils occur in the same locations as decals, roundels, squadron codes etc. were these stencils underneath, over the decals or both? I presume the technical stencils were applied in the factory and over painted. Or were technical stencils ever applied at the squadron?

Thanks in advance,

Lindsey

On 11/19/2021 at 6:19 PM, Lindsey C said:

@Troy Smith. Do you know what the bits of material that are sticking out from the underside of the elevators, just outside the trim tabs on pictures 8, 18 & 21, were for?

Rgds,

Lindsey

Those look like ground-adjustable (via bending) trim tabs for static elevator trim.

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 20/11/2021 at 14:15, Lindsey C said:

Oops, yes Troy. My error. I forget the outer wheel well shows when undercarriage is up! Haven't built one that was flying yet! 😂

Where did the yellow spinner idea originally come from anybody? It seems to be the norm.

Thanks @Troy Smith as ever for the great info. Most helpful. I am learning quickly. First coat of green on over the dark earth so spinner decision will be soon (though in my heart I know what's going to happen)😂

According to http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p008.html - FF 1-3-40 AMDP Airspeed trls with company test pilots 6-3-40 38MU 11-5-40 257Sq 18-5-40 19Sq 'QV-K' 3-9-40 152Sq 26-9-40 58OTU 23-3-41 Scottish Aviation 12-9-41 52OTU 17-11-41 57OTU 29-8-43 dived into ground East Lothian CE 5-5-44.

Am I reading this wrong? It reads to me that P9386 was delivered to No.19 Squadron on 18th May 1940.

Rgds,

Lindsey

Does anyone have any idea what "AMDP" stands for? Unfortunately it's not on airhistory.org's list of abbreviations.

9 hours ago, wmcgill said:

Does anyone have any idea what "AMDP" stands for? Unfortunately it's not on airhistory.org's list of abbreviations.

Morgan/Shacklady Spitfire the History lists AMDP as an abbbreviation for Air Member for Development & Production ie a member of the Air Council, governing body of the RAF r

It would appear this airframe was initially allocated to Airspeed for trials on instruction from the AMDP.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Morgan/Shacklady Spitfire the History lists AMDP as an abbbreviation for Air Member for Development & Production ie a member of the Air Council, governing body of the RAF r

It would appear this airframe was initially allocated to Airspeed for trials on instruction from the AMDP.

Thankyou!