Arma Hobby Hurricane kit question

Wm Blecky

Is there any merit to cross kitting Arma Hobby's new Mk.IIb wings with the fuselage from their Mk.I kit?  I was just wondering if that would give me a late Mk.I variant?

Thanks.

• Sad 1

None at all - there was no such thing.  This is presumably from the Hasegawa 1/72 kit mis-labelling?  No Hurricane Mk.Ib existed.  If there was a prototype somewhere, I don't know about it and it would be surprising given that the Mk.IIa was around first.  About all that could be added to the Mk.I post-summer 1940 would be the fixed ferry tanks, with a different (thinner) pylon, which were actually seen on aircraft being ferried to Malta through France when the Germans struck.  Light Store Carriers for small bombs were as used in the desert just before the true Huurribombers appeared.  Late Mk.Is can however be seen with the "bullet" Rotol spinner.  OK, IFF wires were fairly late.

There were a very small number cannon-armed Mk.Is: a 2- cannon and a 4-cannon example that saw action in the Battle of Britain, and an experimental 4-cannon Sea Hurricane, later rewinged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Graham.

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There were a very small number cannon-armed Mk.Is: a 2- cannon and a 4-cannon example that saw action in the Battle of Britain, and an experimental 4-cannon Sea Hurricane, later rewinged.

That would be quite interesting.  Are you aware of any pictures of these versions?  It would well be worth looking into and doing.

1 hour ago, Wm Blecky said:

Thanks Graham.

That would be quite interesting.  Are you aware of any pictures of these versions?  It would well be worth looking into and doing.

see here

v7360.jpg

and

Though L1750 is fabric winged. Freightdog did cannon pods at one time.

There have been other threads discussing these as well, have a google.

HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

see here

v7360.jpg

and

Though L1750 is fabric winged. Freightdog did cannon pods at one time.

There have been other threads discussing these as well, have a google.

HTH

151 sqn flew two types of cannon prototypes, one was a fabric wing with pods as above and the other was a mki with metal wings and 4 cannons, two in each wing like the mkii.

as Troy has linked to the above thread where I built them both and teddy donaldson’s metal wing mki. I only stumbled across the info reading teddy’s book around the time of the BoB GB, where it was mentioned. Britmodeller’s filled in a lot of the gaps in my knowledge on the subject.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1