Vickers Armstrong Wellington BIII***FINISHED***

Hi Craig,

What they seem to have done is retained the same upper shape but deepened the bottom "pane" of the glazing as it was a bit too shallow. Ruddy annoying though! The old one has come out nicely and it seemed fitting to have a couple of actual parts on the model from the one that I actually did build as a kid. It is all masked up for spraying at the moment, but waiting for a cooler less humid day. Once that is done I will see what it looks like. They must have either adjusted the nose as well or had a deeper mounting of some sort, but I can't tell as I cut the pivot thingy off both so it could be a push fit at the end. After I took the turrets off, what was left of my old Wimpy went in the bin, which was collected this morning so I can't check that either. The old tail turret glazing is if anything very slightly wider but shorter than the new one by the look of it.

I don't know how common this sort of re-tooling of the old kits was - not very I should think but perhaps in this case they were responding to complaints from people who flew or serviced them as there would be a lot still around when this was originally released, as I believe was the case when the original Spit was released.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

"Mind the Gap"!

DSC03404-crop

Don't think I can use the old nose turret as it would need about 1mm packing underneath it - possibly more. That's a pity. Anyway, I annoyed the family a little by getting up early and having a spray session before it got too hot. My latest compressor is a lot quieter than the previous Micon one, and once I figure out which joint is leaking it will be even quieter as it has a tank. Unfortunately the regulator broke and had to be replaced, and it has been leaking slightly ever since, so runs continuously at the moment. Must get it fixed!

Anyway, I am calling this done and will post in the gallery before long. The new style nose turret does seem to be a better shape than old one, but as is often the case in this hobby, in spite of all the time and effort spent on the interior it is barely visible. Oh well, I know it is there and the resin gun barrels do make a difference.

DSC03406-crop

It has not been a difficult build other than the turrets, though the hard black plastic was not very easy to work with.  I hope it is a fitting tribute to the one I built as a kid. Hopefully the fuselage joints won't crack open on this one - the hard plastic does not take glue too well and the old one was on a stand, which probably put a strain on it - this time the undercarriage should take the strain - well the French do call it a "train"😁

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

• PeterB changed the title to Vickers Armstrong Wellington BIII***FINISHED***

That's a great result - and you get extra credits for annoying the family. 😀

Of course you do know that this will probably result in extra DIY duties in the coming weeks and months...

• Haha 2

Hi,

As I was going to put the Wellington up on a shelf earlier I realised I had forgotten to fit one last piece! According to the pics and drawings I have most but not all Wimpys had at this stage been fitted with the so called "Towel Rail" aerial for Lorenz or something similar.

As I had a spare left over from my Manchester build, I have now fitted it.

DSC03426-crop

Cheers

Pete

• Like 5