Lockheed PV1 and Lodestar in 1.48 (Civil) )

That's probably what I SHOULD be doing more of, instead of building these things!

Although, if I think of it as an art medium, I can nearly get away with it 😉

Short 184 at RNAS Newlyn 1918....

Short 184 at RNAS Newlyn

Tell you what, I'd rather draw one of these than try to rig one! 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

That's probably what I SHOULD be doing more of, instead of building these things!

Although, if I think of it as an art medium, I can nearly get away with it 😉

Short 184 at RNAS Newlyn 1918....

Tell you what, I'd rather draw one of these than try to rig one! 

I love it!

That is very good! You are very talented!

Mine is a bit, how shall I put it... "out there":

http://luchina.com/archives

• Thanks 1

Although the wings are not glued on yet, the prospect of getting her up on her legs is looming, and I'm sorting some parts. 

I tried this.... 

IMG_20200604_213540

It's a process that is not always successful, but these wheels are eminently suitable for it. 

A quick whizz round with a decent blade in the rim line and the surplus comes away to leave a very paintable tyre line. 

A couple of nice big flat spots on the balloon tyres and a first coat of black and we're in business.... 

IMG_20200604_224232

Any wobbles will clean back from the foil quite easily. 

The little tailwheel is a bit too fiddly for the same thing. 

Legs and brake lines and good to go. But I need a plan of action..... There's flaps to sort out and various items that could do with happening in a coherent order 

• Like 2

Very impressed with your artwork.  First saw the sketches back in August ‘17.  Drawing is probably less stressful than foiling a big model, which you are very good at (#47 for example).  How do you polish them up?

Results like you are able to achieve with foil are the product of much practice.  When, or if, I get around to choosing a finish I thought something like @Challenger350Pilot obtained on his Connie would suit me.  

A Camel calls

Dennis

9 hours ago, DMC said:

How do you polish them up?

I've got several emery board and manicure type bendy sticks in various stages of dilapidation, and of course there's metal polish. 

IMG_20200605_181300

The one to the left I can use for polishing transparencies at the final stage. 

They're well clogged with aluminium and that's the way I like them 

• Like 1

Nice  looking PV-1 with NMF.  Seven year old thread, a disciple of yours?

Re Challenge’s Connie:  I could not come close to matching the finish .  Just meant I’ thinking’s about Alclad. 

Cheers 

Denni

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Did you find his website?

Yes, bottom of #1 in the BM thread.

39 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

must say the PV1 looks pretty good like that 

Doesn’t it just.  Me now having 2nd thoughts about having a go with foil on the  (upcoming) Lodestar.  Plenty of ‘how too’ advice, yours included, for reference.  Possibility.

Do you have a brand of foil you prefer.  I was thinking about 3-M this morning.

This Image should prove useful re the nacelles.

resized_11cfc19f-36cd-47a6-8b82-339fb1e7

Dennis

Love the Ventura’s.

wrt my experience with foil I’ve gotten good results with baremetal 

49915680401_224683a447_c.jpg

Aluminium foil

48035176722_0bc7764099_c.jpg

Chrome foil.

i also have a large roll of  Bostik self adhesive foil tape which I plan to use in my caproni Campini when I get back to it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aquatarkus10 said:

Hi Robert

I'm delighted to meet you on here George, and thanks to DMC Dennis for making the link to your Ventura. 

And @Marklo, good job on those.

I have a couple of rolls of foil. My favourite is so old that there is no sign of a logo or maker's identity left visible on the core tube. 

I also have a Bostik make at just 50mm wide which is "OK" but sometimes the glue forms "stretchy strings and baubles" which can be irritating. Any deformation of the glue layer will show through the finished surface in the end. 

Sorry I can't be more help in the choice of Ali tape. Just a matter of trial. 

The main joints on the kit are remarkably good. The wings and Tailplanes are just dry fitted here and the whole airframe is happy to stand. 

IMG_20200606_141459

IMG_20200606_141444

I fitted the final bomb bay door opened as cargo /luggage access 

IMG_20200606_211951

....... and that was far more difficult! 

The little arms and fittings supplied with the kit to mount all 4 articulated bay doors proved to be useless in my hands and the instructions only confused the bad situation. 

The difficulty is that all these surfaces are curved in all directions. So making a hinge - line gets difficult.

The same applies to the uc doors - they are all curves as well, but the assembly is much less complicated.

Doing it with 4 doors, balancing on several little sticks, must be pretty close to crazy! 🥴

So congratulations to George @aquatarkus10because it looks like you have achieved it perfectly with all four bay doors hinged open 🏆🏅👍

I gave up and cleaned an edge of the door back to bare plastic and made a well-glued joint straight to the fuselage. 

• Like 6

Hi Rob,

you're doing very well. If you allow me I would like to give you a little trick for the four doors:

1- -fix the little arms to the walls of the compartment with a stong glue ( cyano or UV)

spacer.png

2- coat the four doors w/metal tape (your metal foil)

3- fix the doors in sequence to the arms!

the sequence:

spacer.png

Ventura is not an easy subject but you are doing very well believe me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are doing very well with this foiling business, Rob.  What was the first kit you tried it on?

Dennis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DMC said:

What was the first kit you tried it on?

You've asked me something there! 

Genuinely NO idea 🤔

I've got an Me262 that's been with me for a long time..... 

IMG_20200607_144721

It's really the only plane that genuinely warrants a Shark's Mouth nose art design! 

But I know I've done stuff that pre-dates that. 

Probably started out on the likes of NA F86 Sabres etc. 

Some...... several.....hit the bin of course! 

You'd do well to try out on a junk kit or two to see if it's workable for you, before you launch into a build that's of value to you 

The 2nd flap is under way 

IMG_20200607_214413

It's just a strip of stock 1mm plastic along the front edge as a spacer and then a flat plate of the same on top which has been shaped and feathered along the back edge to fit the void in the flap. 

That extension piece that mirrors the wing top strip that I was going on about has been removed so it is parallel front and back. 

All it needs is a set of saw cuts that angle down into the 5 fairings, like the 1st one. 

What else.... 

I foiled between the Tailplanes and the fuselage tail end. It's still a push fit but it's a tidy joint. It looks okay.... 

IMG_20200607_214654

I spent a bit of time on the passenger door and got it hung. 

IMG_20200607_214604

I added a couple of handrails, in the doorway and on the door. Needs a tidy up on the top edge and the hinges. 

Not sure what to do about the props. I don't think modification of the blade shape is an option. 

For now, because my props are removable and changeable, I'm thinking I'll go with these two and if the opportunity arises to get some paddle bladed types at some point, I can just slot them in. 

All I've done so far is mount them on brass rod shafts that's the same diameter as the Ali tube I usually use. 

And I foiled the front "bit", prop pitch adjustment mechanism housing....? 

It MUST have a name.... 🤔

So this is a strip of foil wrapped around one time, and the key to success is having just the right amount protruding out the front. Just enough to make it over the curved front and barely make it to the mid-point on the dome shape. 

You get me?! 

Then with the prop mounted on it's shaft, it goes in the cordless drill and worked like on a lathe. The totally worn out abrasive manicure stick does its magic, first on the flat section and then gently out over the curve and ease the Ali tape over into the dome shape. 

If there is a bunch of surplus tape on the front it will make a right old mess and tangle. 

The secret is having only just enough. 

IMG_20200607_214947

And I made a stick of milliput yesterday in a triangular section, and now I chopped 4 pieces for the wheel chocks. 

Coming on, here! 

There's not much left in the box 😎

• Like 5

Hi Rob,

Thought this might interest you.

resized_9ec3d2d2-ea1d-4255-9139-6aae559b

Blew up the Hudson plans (2 sheets) and compared them to the Ventura fuselage.  A good match but the span (kit) too short.  Hudson and Lodestar span the same @ 65’.  Could be plan span is longer because it’s for an RC model. Not sure how accurate kit span is.  I’ll check later.

Kit span span is almost spot on.as is length

Hudso length is 44’ plus

Cheers

Edited by DMC
Additions
  • Like 1