Airfix Spitfire FR.XIVe 1:48

Hi all,

Piccies of my latest completion below. Like many here I have been making the most of the lock-down time to get some modelling done - at least that's been a bit of a silver lining to the crazy times we are in right now :)

This is my attempt at Airfix's new and much longed for Spitfire FR.XIVe, which I got my hands on as soon as I could last year.

Theres plenty of reviews out there and fairly mixed, but for my findings it was an enjoyable kit to build and nicely detailed. Like others I found that there was a bit of a gap to deal with at the wing roots and the fuel tank cover needed a bit of thin plasticard adding to the front and shaping to get a good fit. Beyond that though no major issues and I will definitely be doing more of these in the future :)

Build wise I added some Master turned brass barrels that I had in the stash, along with some resin Ultracast wheels and an Eduard 'look' set for the IP and belts. I hollowed out the exhaust tips with the point of my scalpel and did the same for the little vent on top of the cowl.

Paints were mainly Tamiya RAF colours with Revell for the spinner (I chose red as there seems to be some ambiguity on the colour and I preferred this to yellow). I also had a go with some hairspray chipping for the wing root wear and a couple of chips on the spinner.

Anyway, enough waffle and on with the pics, hope you like and as usual any C&CC welcomed:

D2ylyto.jpg
VJpHaQk.jpg
bflbw1u.jpg
sh59jpu.jpg
fPJoJ4F.jpg
H0ap6Xl.jpg
Y2N2908.jpg
uRe8sSS.jpg
P2vT0gV.jpg
Ldi7RXL.jpg
CY9UIrA.jpg
ZlDiBwU.jpg
RXS1CfM.jpg

Couldnt resist a shot with my recent mossie for comparison :)

dliJd98.jpg

Edited by stoohoo
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Finished up looking great Stu. I think that you made the right choice with the spinner colour, it just looks right. Good job on the exhausts too, having done that myself I know how much of a task it is.

Pete