Eurofighter

dov

3 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Sorry to go off topic but the Spitfire and Hurricane are not basically the same. In terms of construction the Hurricane shares a great deal with the biplanes of WW1, initially wooden frames with stretched fabric while the Spitfire is all metal structure. Come to Duxford and I am happy to prove my point.

Yeah of course! Sorry, that was not soo seriously meant... but for a jet guy they look similar in aerodynamic aspects... as does a bf109... 

The Hurricane is surprisingly large though! There was one in Zeltweg this year..

Edited by exdraken

My thoughts on this are rather more basic. There comes a point like airliners , a basic configuration comes to the fore that suits the requirement. Of course the F22 and F35 buck the trend! My throwing in the Spitfire / Hurricane earlier was just a bit of fun considering how many people get the two confused when flying overhead   . Anyway , wheels are round for a reason , it works 

Keith

• Like 2

Hello again

If I summarize all contributions:

·        The EF is an absolute independent Europe development.

·        The Lavi was an Israeli project. An IAI contract, the majority carried out by Grumman. The core of this a/c was designed and produced by Grumman. Paid by American financial resources.

·        Finally, the Lavi drawings and calculations were sold from Israel to China.

·        So, the J-10 maybe a derivate from the Lavi and some ideas from the EF or similar projects.

Happy modelling

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, Tony Oliver said:

That looks like a mig-21 with a new nose and intake? Can see the colour change where they chop shopped/ cut & shut it lol 

I can't disagree with your observations, that photo does look completely fake!  Luckily it wasn't a fake plane. I have an Eastern European resin 1/48 Ye-8 kit I built that I want to now strip and repaint, I'll get on it....

16 hours ago, dov said:

Hello again

If I summarize all contributions:

·        The EF is an absolute independent Europe development.

·        The Lavi was an Israeli project. An IAI contract, the majority carried out by Grumman. The core of this a/c was designed and produced by Grumman. Paid by American financial resources.

·        Finally, the Lavi drawings and calculations were sold from Israel to China.

·        So, the J-10 maybe a derivate from the Lavi and some ideas from the EF or similar projects.

Happy modelling

Yes and no...

1) Yes, the EF project draws on the expertise of the companies that partnered in the project

2) Not so simple... Grumman did part of the work but other parts were the result of work in both Israel and the US. The Lavi was in the end a IAI design with major contribution from US partners, it was not a Grumman design. Financially however yes, a large part of the money came from the US.

3) It is known that Israel supplied China with data from the Lavi project. And sure this was not done for nothing... Israeli companies also worked as consultants for China at a time when these countries were having very good relations, and clearly their experience with the Lavi was useful here.

4) Things are never so easy in aircraft design. The J-10 designers sure benefited from whatever part of  the Israeli experience with the Lavi was sold to China, but this does not mean that the J-10 design actually derives from the Lavi ! The two aircrafts share the same general layout but things don't go further than that. A