Legendary Blackbird - Part 2: M-21 Mothersip with D-21 Tagboard (Italeri Conversion)

After a long break, I made some progress on M-21 project. First the D-21 was coated with Alclad gray primer. After then the entire M-21 and the chine of D-21 were coated with Alclad Gloss Black Primer:

2332.jpg

2333.jpg

2334.jpg

Next step is to mask both M-21 and D-21 chines and paint both in titanium.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

Three months later all the masks have been removed assuming that all the paints cured enough 🙂

2560.jpg

Also the landing gear assemblies were painted and placed:

2561.jpg

Both mother and daughter were coated with gloss coat:

2562.jpg

2563.jpg

Now the decals can be applied.

Serkan

• Like 9

I realised that I forgot to paint the light blue coating on which the markings will be placed at metallic surfaces:

2566.jpg

With a bit masking effort these patches were painted:

2567.jpg

2568.jpg

Another gloss coat layer was applied on these areas. Next step is to apply decals...

Serkan

• Like 6

Hello Serkan.  It’s good to see you are progressing on the M-21.  Excellent work, as always.

It appears you have a metallic finish on the inlet spikes.  The spikes were a composite material and should be black.  The tip of the spikes was solid metal (and very sharp!), and I believe they were unpainted.  In 1/72, the metal part is only about 1 mm, IIRC.

Keep up the good work.  I’m looking forward to the next update.  You are close to the finish line!

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, billn53 said:

It’s great to see you back to work on your Blackbird project, Serkan! Let’s see if you can wrap these up for the holidays! 😛

Thanks Bill. My target due date is latest end of this year 🙂

2 hours ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Hello Serkan.  It’s good to see you are progressing on the M-21.  Excellent work, as always. It appears you have a metallic finish on the inlet spikes.  The spikes were a composite material and should be black.  The tip of the spikes was solid metal (and very sharp!), and I believe they were unpainted.  In 1/72, the metal part is only about 1 mm, IIRC.

Thanks for your very valuable remark David. One hour ago while I was checking the reference pictures for markings I also realized that the spikes must be painted to black except the sharp tip... I was busy with masking the intake and tip and painting the spikes in black during the last 30 minutes. When I finished the paint job I saw your post 🙂

2609.jpg

The metallic sharp tip is a bit longer than 1mm but I can live with this 🙂

Now I have another problem with the decals. The Italeri kit decals are not fully correct especially for Rescue markings and the little "134" at the both sides of the nose. But I can slightly modify the decal artwork I did for my A-12 build:

1545.jpg

Serkan

• Like 5

On 12/6/2021 at 2:54 AM, Serkan Sen said:

I realised that I forgot to paint the light blue coating on which the markings will be placed at metallic surfaces:

2566.jpg

With a bit masking effort these patches were painted:

2567.jpg

2568.jpg

Another gloss coat layer was applied on these areas. Next step is to apply decals...

Serkan

I never knew that these underlying areas were grey....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Serkan, how are you able to print white? Do you have an Alps printer?

David

Yes David, I have one of the last produced genuine MD5500 from Japan. The shipping and custom was a bit costly but worth every cent.

Also I have white toner cartridge from "Ghost Toner" which can be used with HP-M252 laser printer. It prints well but not opaque enough and white background printing is not possible. 

Serkan

• Like 2

Excellent progress. I remember, some time back in the 1980's I scratch built the drone in 1/48th scale. It was to go on the Italeri kit but sadly that got damaged in house move and the drone disappeared! Such is life!!!

Colin

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 11:46 AM, heloman1 said:

Excellent progress. I remember, some time back in the 1980's I scratch built the drone in 1/48th scale. It was to go on the Italeri kit but sadly that got damaged in house move and the drone disappeared! Such is life!!!

Colin

Thanks Colin and sorry for my very late reply. I have recently started another topic in 1:48 scale here:

If the the 3D printed fuselage parts from my ongoing CAD project fit well to Italeri/Testors kit and later on recently released Revell kit then I can think about modelling the D-21 drone as well.

Serkan

• Like 2