Maple leaf Hurricane Battle of Britain

Hello everybody... This was built in parallel with my 3 Squadron Tomahawk. It is the 1/72 Airfix Hurricane Mk.I. I removed all of the fabric detail on the wings. Then I re-scribed them so that i could represent a later Mk.I with metal wings. I built this one to represent a Mk.I with 401 Squadron RCAF during the Battle of Britain. They were stationed at RAF Northolt circa August or early September 1940. 

t3jzp7T.jpg

J5zHeEc.jpg

HBym0tS.jpg

EfvjVEv.jpg

tf7B1Db.jpg

4AZwBfx.jpg

03FjHgq.jpg

kKkqKxH.jpg

anSHcwt.jpg

oxJspYZ.jpg

4cEG0Ao.jpg

SqzEM4I.jpg

F8lrCh9.jpg

This was a build i decided to undertake to honor those few that are left that fought during the B.o.B..:poppy: Please feel free to ask questions, comment, or pass on your thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 24

Very neat Hurricane!

The overall finish is a bit shiny for a wartime British fighter – the paintwork was really almost dead matt (unless the erks had wax polished the CO's aircraft…).

Excellent work, and it's good to know that "The Few" are still remembered after almost 80 years!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great looking Hurricane and good to see No. 1/401 Squadron RCAF represented as, of the 'foreign' squadrons, they always seem to be somewhat overshadowed by 303 Polish.  Great work on the re-scribing.  Did you build the kit before Arma's Hurricane Mk1 release?  I would have been well miffed if I'd gone to all the trouble or removing the fabric detail and re-scribing only for a dedicated (and very good) kit being released which would have saved me all that trouble?  Exactly the same thing happened to me with Frog's old Shackleton (rivet removal and re-scribe) and the sudden appearance of the Revell kit. Darn.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

The overall finish is a bit shiny for a wartime British fighter – the paintwork was really almost dead matt (unless the erks had wax polished the CO's aircraft…).

Excellent work, and it's good to know that "The Few" are still remembered after almost 80 years!

Thanks for the compliment. Yes it is shiny, im currently out of Matt coat and wont have the budget for the foreseeable future. Rather than letting it sit for an unknown amount of time i called it done and will Matt it down as soon as i get Matt coat. 

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A great looking Hurricane and good to see No. 1/401 Squadron RCAF represented as, of the 'foreign' squadrons, they always seem to be somewhat overshadowed by 303 Polish.  Great work on the re-scribing.  Did you build the kit before Arma's Hurricane Mk1 release?  I would have been well miffed if I'd gone to all the trouble or removing the fabric detail and re-scribing only for a dedicated (and very good) kit being released which would have saved me all that trouble? 

Thank you for the compliment. I will build 303 yet in 1:48 as i have the decals, just no model. Actually i did the work a few weeks ago, well after Arma's kit appeared. The fabric wing will get done as i still need to do an 85 Squadron bird ( love the hexagon marking). I just didn't feel like doing a fabric wing right now. And my budget is empty so i cant order the Arma kit. When i can i plan on buying a few of Arma's kits in the different Mk's so that i can build a couple more. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Great Hurricane, it's a brilliant kit for the price, good job on the wing conversion must have tested your patience.

I've just picked up the Arms Hobby one in Navy colours will be interesting to see how it builds compared to the Airfix Hurricane that I did some time ago.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Great Hurricane, it's a brilliant kit for the price, good job on the wing conversion must have tested your patience.

Thanks for the compliments Yeah it was an experiment as i had a spare set of wings ( i had a resin metal wing for my last hurricane). If it all went wrong, i would have just built it as a fabric wing. It took a lot of grinding down with 150 grit pad. Then i had to re-scribe the gun ammo covers 3 times alone on the starboard wing before i was happy enough. Technically its not 100% accurate as the lamps are in the wrong position. Maybe the lines aren't the straightest but im happy with it, and it will sit on my shelf as a success.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Robert_ said:

Since you depicted a RCAF plane I thought maybe you were a fellow Canuck, but I checked your profile and I see you are not 👎🏼😆

I try as often as possible to depict many commonwealth units. They did there share and sacrificing just like everyone else. One of the two Malta birds done earlier this year was piloted by Canadian George Beurling.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235051923-them-maltese-blues-again/

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks for the compliment. Yes it is shiny, im currently out of Matt coat and wont have the budget for the foreseeable future. Rather than letting it sit for an unknown amount of time i called it done and will Matt it down as soon as i get Matt coat. 

Thank you for the compliment. I will build 303 yet in 1:48 as i have the decals, just no model. Actually i did the work a few weeks ago, well after Arma's kit appeared. The fabric wing will get done as i still need to do an 85 Squadron bird ( love the hexagon marking). I just didn't feel like doing a fabric wing right now. And my budget is empty so i cant order the Arma kit. When i can i plan on buying a few of Arma's kits in the different Mk's so that i can build a couple more. 

Dennis

It's a lovely kit (Arma).  Like you my budget is currently runnig a little dry - just when Sword's Skyraider AEW.2 and Airfix's Buccaneer are hitting the scene. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I try as often as possible to depict many commonwealth units. They did there share and sacrificing just like everyone else. One of the two Malta birds done earlier this year was piloted by Canadian George Beurling.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235051923-them-maltese-blues-again/

Dennis

Awesome, thanks for sharing that link. 

• Like 1