Hello everyone... This was built as a companion build to my Hurricane Mk.1. shown here in this RFI.⬇️

I built it after asking multiple questions for almost two years, as well as asking more questions in this thread. ⬇️

I built it as one of P.Ofc. George Buerlings Mk.Vb’s. I used the Italeri Mk.Vb which wasn't that bad of a kit. However i am not satisfied with the cockpit. The instructions have you make a weird mount for the seat frame. Mine didn't work out right, so the seat is in very odd position. I went through the entire construction and paint for a Maltese Spitfire. I actually painted it in the Desert scheme. 

Vzcw0yg.jpg

gv8JuxC.jpg

qwMpxEw.jpg

Which was then oversprayed a custom mix for “malta” blue. 

3y3WEcq.jpg

The final outcome i present to you now. 

JZfCdCS.jpg

XLuP1lq.jpg

MevFDHF.jpg

inGAvIa.jpg

hZToVEh.jpg

XcQLxE3.jpg

thOC6A3.jpg

1hbnZAP.jpg

sZbUNOi.jpg

uAKbGi5.jpg

You will note the missing “pitot” that has become carpet monster fodder. Im not exactly certain about the white codes ? But thats the way the decal sheet came. Someday if i need to i will correct them in grey, or whichever color they should be in ?  I hope this is a satisfactory example of a Malta Spitfire ? Questions, comments, or jokes if you please ? 

Dennis

• Like 35

Love that you have shown the process you used, really like how it’s turned out. 

I love malta and it’s history especially the siege from 1939, and it’s mythical spitfires and hero’s. it grabs the imagination, and fills me with awe as to what they went through and managed to overcome.

the aircraft there are such a can of worms and I have put a lot of time and effort into trying to find out what’s correct, In know way an expert at all, but have given it a good go. What I’ve found is there is no definitive answer to most of it and what we make is a possible option most of the time, and it’s fine! As we will all have different interpretations on the same info.

i really like what you have done here and your effort to find answers has paid off. 

Rob

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I love malta and it’s history especially the siege from 1939, and it’s mythical spitfires and hero’s. it grabs the imagination, and fills me with awe as to what they went through and managed to overcome.

the aircraft there are such a can of worms and I have put a lot of time and effort into trying to find out what’s correct, In know way an expert at all, but have given it a good go. What I’ve found is there is no definitive answer to most of it and what we make is a possible option most of the time, and it’s fine! As we will all have different interpretations on the same info

Thank you for the nice compliments. I agree with you entirely about Malta. I have Familial connection to Malta as I have a great uncle that served in the R.N.. He was on a Hunt class D.E. (O.R.P.Kujawiak), it was sunk on a convoy to resupply Malta in 1942. 

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

:goodjob:

Stuart

Thank you.

3 hours ago, allyby said:

What's not to love! It's a Spitfire, nice work.

Thank you, i agree with your comment. 

25 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice. Right or wrong, its exactly how I want to finish mine

Thank you, i hope to see it someday soon fubar. BTW Oddball is one of my favorite characters in a movie, great choice for an avatar. 

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you for the nice compliments. I agree with you entirely about Malta. I have Familial connection to Malta as I have a great uncle that served in the R.N.. He was on a Hunt class D.E. (O.R.P.Kujawiak), it was sunk on a convoy to resupply Malta in 1942. 

That’s quite a connection you have to the island. I’m visiting it in June which has been something I’ve always wanted to do.

i should get my Malta spitfires build really! I started 3 out of a planned 9 spitfire build but they stalled. They can sit with my two Malta based hurricanes and the gladiator when I get that done then.

both my kids love the tales from Malta so I made a clipped wing spitfire vb in blue and a hurricane mkii c which Both hang above their beds.

Rob

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Nice one, Dennis! You are one prolific modeler- I am sooo jealous!

Mike

Thanks Mike, i need to be prolific its my drug of choice. Dont be jealous i know you have plenty to build. Many of which im envious and/or jealous of myself. 

Dennis

Very interesting colour scheme and nicely done. The Malta Spitfires are a fascinating, if somewhat speculative subject which you have encompassed beautifully,

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed. I like the method you'be used but probably wouldn't be as precise with masking the camo.

I have a Malta Spit on my to-do list. Who knows, I might even get around to building one!

Pete

• Thanks 1