Should I paint red stars over green/black camouflage or red first and the camo second?

Am ICM LaGG3 is ready for painting. The kit decals did not look promising, so I bought a Montex Masks set. If the camouflage (AMT-4 green and AMT-6 black over AMT-7 light blue) is sprayed first, will red be strong enough to cover these colors, or should red (for the stars) go first, the camouflage colors to follow?
Richard

Either way will work, airbrush the red then apply the masks and then the camouflage, for my MiG 3 I did the camouflage first and then the red stars, using Montex masks and enamel paint.

But I would probably do it the other way around now.

spacer.png

More info here

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/54562-trumpeter-mig-3-build-back-to-plastic/

Cheers

Dennis

Hello Richard,

remember to use very bright red; something like Humbrol 60. Just a couple of days ago I visited a museum here in Finland where they display a Soviet P-39Q Airacobra and a shot down MiG-3. Both aircraft carry their original paintwork. The red used in the red stars is a bright red (almost like dark orange).

Here is a close-up of the Airacobra:

spacer.png

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your experiences, especially the Mig-3 thread and the photos from the museum in Finland, gentlemen! So red first it will be (Xtracolor RLM 23, they must have bought a can or two just before June 22, 1941; maybe a teeny bit of yellow to brighten it up?) , and then WEM AMT-4 and -7, with WEM US Navy Dark Gray for the black.

Richard

P.S.: nice shot of that hellcat taking a timeout on the Hellcat-box.

• Like 1