1/32 EE Lightning

tango98

I recently purchased an ID Models English Electric Lightning and was thinking along similar lines. It's a basic kit and needs all the help it can get.

Would love top pick up an Echelon kit some day.

Does anyone know anything about this kit? you don't see any builds or reviews and doesn't seem to be in the Tigger Models range either.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

It's many moons since I last saw an ID Models Lightning and like you, I don't recall seeing anything published on the ID kit but if it was then there is the possibility that that something may have appeared in the Scale Models or Scale Aircraft Modelling or even the IPMS UK mag issues of yesteryear.

If I come across any info referring to the ID kit I'll let you know.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98

On 4/30/2019 at 11:49 PM, FZ6 said:

I recently purchased an ID Models English Electric Lightning and was thinking along similar lines. It's a basic kit and needs all the help it can get.

Would love top pick up an Echelon kit some day.

Does anyone know anything about this kit? you don't see any builds or reviews and doesn't seem to be in the Tigger Models range either.

Regards,

Mark

MHW Models (now defunct) used to sell ID vacs I know. I'm pretty sure that they date from the later 1970s. Magazine ads from the time would confirm that. I never built one myself, partly because of the large scale but also the seemingly extreme simplicity of the mouldings and the need for equally extreme scratch building skills.

• 2 months later...

I think the 1/32 ECHELON Lightning actually does NOT need any aftermarket detail sets 😉

In that kit very nice cast metal parts are provided by the master modeller Frank Brown  (and excellent decals!). Decades ago I have a great chat with him at IPMS UK Donington Nationals, a great modeller and gentleman.

I made one kit in 1997 (and still have one very rare Echelon Lightning in the stash).

Check out my 1/32 ECHELON RAF Lightning F2A model at:

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/lightning/lightning.htm

Make that ECHELON kit! It is great! Go for it .......

Meindert

(Amsterdam)

spacer.png

Edited by meindert
typo
  • Like 7

On 27 April 2019 at 3:24 PM, tango98 said:

Gents,

Do any of you happen to know if the Aires resin a/market sets i.e. cockpit, tailpipes etc are suitable for use with the Echelon Lightning?

TIA for any info.

Cheers

Dave

I've been told they do very well, especially the exquisite jetpipe set which doesn't fit the Trumpeter kit (but obliges modifications to that kit so that it becomes more accurate. Something I've done once).

I have three Trumpeters, Aires, Eduard, Xtradecals and the Whirlybird T.5 conversion but would still love to get an Echelon, to use as a kind of template to fix the Chinese offerings.

Happy hunting

Tony 

Thanks Tony,

So aside from the cockpits it looks as though the jet pipe set is also something to consider and as I still have two of the Echelon kits it looks like I'll be ordering two of each set.

I'd already built one back just after they became available and thoroughly enjoyed it and then, after reading through John Wolstenholme's impressive build a few months ago on ARC, decided to now build the other two

once my current projects are completed.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 years later...

To be frank, given Aires resin extremely poor reputation for fitting into the kits they're supposed to be designed for (without some major surgery), I would say that fitting Aires in to the Echelon kit might be viewed as "just another day in the office". 

I'm not being facetious here. To every "this Aires resin simply slotted into place..." comment I've seen, I've probably read 5-10 comments along the lines of "The resin set had to be beaten into submission and you can still see some gaps, after all my careful work on it..." 

Cheers. 

Chris.