Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends

59 minutes ago, badger said:

Be interested to see what you are planning

Two trumpeter Famos, one dragging a 116 trailer, the other a 21cm Morser 18. The Famo engines will need serious surgery as the cooling fans are solid back to the rocker covers. 

Three IBG Scammels, The Tank Transporter, Recovery vehicle and artillery tractor. The engines look really good on these with PE fans and pulleys, along with a lot of other PE, something I've never had before on a kit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Good progress, nice to see that italeri model looking so good. Basic question but what diameter brass rod are you using for the fuel lines?

Thanks for looking in - it's scrubbed up quite nicely in the end.

I think the fuel lines are 0.3mm rod but to be honest I didn't notice - I just picked some that looked about right. I have a pot with offcuts of rod, tubing and wire that I keep as they "might come in handy one day".

• Like 1

I was looking at a build of a T-55AMV last night and noticed it has a late pattern loaders hatch with machine gun mount similar to that seen on the T-62 (might be the same possibly but I don't know much about T-62s).

I don't have any of these, and neither the Revell, Trumpeter or Italeri kit include it. Some determined googling found that Tankograd offer a 1/72 resin conversion for the Trumpeter kit to turn it into an AM version. This comes with a resin turret and various hatches, along with side skirts and turret armour. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tankograd-russian-t-55am-conversion-set--990398

As this includes the late loaders hatch and a host of other useful bits I ordered two sets. This will go onto the AMV and mod 1981 versions I am converting from Revell kits. The leftover bits will help with the Merida conversion as the Revell turret armour doesn't fit the Trumpeter turret I planned on using.

I also snuck in a couple of sets of resin wheels for a BTR-70 and a BTR-80 as I have both of these in the stash and they were a lot cheaper than the alternative Armoury ones.

More soon

Ben

10 hours ago, echen said:

Two trumpeter Famos, one dragging a 116 trailer, the other a 21cm Morser 18. The Famo engines will need serious surgery as the cooling fans are solid back to the rocker covers. 

Three IBG Scammels, The Tank Transporter, Recovery vehicle and artillery tractor. The engines look really good on these with PE fans and pulleys, along with a lot of other PE, something I've never had before on a kit.

Sounds interesting. I know Eduard did an etch set for the Revell Famo if that would help?

I've been contemplating the IBG Scammels. I know there's a few shape issues, but as Airfix have cancelled releasing theirs in 1/72 the IBG ones are the only game in town.

59 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

still hoping Eduard will re-release their 1/72 range for vehicles...

Me too! I could use about 6 of their M-113 set. 

I tend to use Part detail sets but these are mostly WW2 vehicles. The post war / modern subjects are quite badly served for etched detail sets.

11 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

For some things Tetra Model Works is coming to the rescue... but also very limited

Very true  - I have a couple of their sets for trucks. SG modelling are doing some very useful sets for cold war soviet and british (available from Jadar models). I have their BMP-1 sets for the S-model kits and can highly recommend them. 

4 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

I gave their BMPT Terminator set a go. A pleasant surprise for the detail

737736-11032-15-pristine.jpg

Great job :goodjob:

I have a set of slat armour for a BTR-70 and a Modelcollect BMP-3 with cage armour that scares me silly every time I open the box :hypnotised:

• Like 1

Progress.

I decided to pick up the  Enigma tonight and have attached the side armour (which necessitated removing and repositioning the turret armour), blocks above the front mudguards and fuel drums (which still need some cleaning up).

2021-08-15_09-59-19

I have had a stumbling block about fitting the side armour, but some time away from it, and the realisation the turret armour was fitted too low has meant I've been able to resolve this now.

More soon

Ben

• Like 3

Hi Badger

You inspired me to actually start a new T-54/55 build (i have two built OOB in various stages of painting). Anyway I went for the black dog enigma build and your experience above has led me to question my own build. 

I actually think the reinforced fender parts are supposed to replace the existing fender which would then result in the side armour sitting lower. I had just supper glued them on top of the cleaned up existing fenders but from examining the blackdog pics it actually looks like they have cut out part of the existing fender and replaced it with the resin reinforced part, I can't say I'm too keen on this approach but interested in your thoughts?

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Hi Badger

You inspired me to actually start a new T-54/55 build

I had just supper glued them on top of the cleaned up existing fenders but from examining the blackdog pics it actually looks like they have cut out part of the existing fender and replaced it with the resin reinforced part

Hi

Thanks for this - don't think any of my builds have ever inspired anyone before so I am truly honoured!

I had the same issues with the side armour fitment, and like yourself, didn't fancy chopping sections out of the fender. If you stick the mounting on top of the fender the armour sits too high.

My solution was to tape some sandpaper to a piece of glass and then sand the mounting plates until the sections in between the brackets were wafer thin and almost transparent. I then stuck these to the top of the existing fenders and it seems to have worked ok.

I would recommend fitting the side armour before the turret armour. I didn't and had to readjust it as the turret armour was too low to clear the sides.

I downloaded and printed the Tamiya instructions from scalemates which have been very useful in helping to locate and align parts.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

I often seem to be better at acquiring kits, conversion sets and aftermarket bits than actually building anything. Then there is the choice of what to build....

This thread is great as you are tackling such a variety of kits on my current fav. tank. 

Thanks for the tip on the fenders it hadn't occurred to me to thin the black dog part down, as my box actually contained two sets of fenders I think I will give your approach a go. 

Slightly different topic but have you attempted any builds using the PST kit?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

I often seem to be better at acquiring kits, conversion sets and aftermarket bits than actually building anything. Then there is the choice of what to build....

that really sounds familiar in a way...

that Enigma kit was also recently acquired.... so maybe a third one on the way soon...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

This thread is great as you are tackling such a variety of kits on my current fav. tank. 

Thanks for the tip on the fenders it hadn't occurred to me to thin the black dog part down, as my box actually contained two sets of fenders I think I will give your approach a go. 

Slightly different topic but have you attempted any builds using the PST kit?

Glad the thread is helping - I'm quite enjoying it so far!! I would recommend trying the thinning approach - I used some wet and dry double sided taped to some old picture frame glass and sanded in a circular motion until I could see light through the resin (health and safety was also followed as I wore a mask to avoid that resin dust!).

I did contemplate building the brackets myself onto the kit fenders using some styrene strip but I thought I'd try modifying the Blackdog set first.

Let me know how you get on if you try - feel free to post up on here if you like - the more 1/72 builds the better!

Like yourself I have a huge amount of kits / add-ons etc. This thread was an attempt to actually get round to building some of them. Problem is I've enjoyed it so much I've bought more! My ERA blocks for the T-55 AMV have apparently arrived today - must resist!

I had the PST kit but sold it a year or two back as I didn't like the tracks (very basic) and wheels (tyres were much too thin). Having said that I believe it is more accurate in shape then the Revell kit so could be a good basis to use for conversions. 

59 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

that really sounds familiar in a way...

that Enigma kit was also recently acquired.... so maybe a third one on the way soon...

Join in - you know you want to :devil: 

• Like 2

Badger

A pic for you.

1629124633612732-0.png

One down and another to go. It needs a scrape and then good to go. I used some Asda emery boards (wasn't using my good Revell ones but I still not sure if they are any better) held tight on a mat while I rubbed the part back and forth. I possibly went a bit far when the first triangle of backing came away, but when I saw the resin was fairly sturdy without it I kept on and removed all the backing, I did have to shift the pressure I was applying to focus on the remaining parts and did have to poke out the last couple of triangles. In dry fitting the turret overhang fits like a dream where it wouldn't fit before.

I think I'll start of a WIP thread for T-54/55's and other interesting tanky things all in 1/72 of course.

• Like 2

@sardaukar - thats great news! Glad it worked. I must admit I didn't remove all the backing and had some issues getting it to fit under the underhang so it sounds like you got it spot on.

Looking forward to seeing this progress now.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 1

Progress!

2021-08-19_10-19-50

I got the SG Modelling resin Kontakt blocks through earlier this week and wanted to have a go at the AMV to see if this was possible (I was very much hoping so as there's £20 invested in these!)

I knocked up the bare basics of the Revell hull before work yesterday and have managed an hour tonight in which I've fitted the first 22 of approximately 215 individual blocks!

With a trial fit and some thought, they just about fit the width of the Revell hull front.

I'm using the 1/35 Takom instructions as a guide as I printed them out a few weeks back.

Rather pleased with how this has gone, although I really must get back to the other versions first. I can't start the turret on this yet as waiting for a order from Tankograd to arrive from Russia (currently somewhere in Poland).

More soon

Ben

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Not had much time recently to do anything on these as the start of a new year at work is always crazy busy!!

However 2 of these arrived in the post today and I'm very impressed by them. Much better than anything I could cast myself. Plenty of spares that can be put to good use as well!

2021-09-01_06-22-05

In case anyone is interested these are the Tankgrad T-55am conversion set - worked out about £12ish in the end (I placed a large order to offset the slightly high postage cost as it was the same for one item, or everything I ordered)

More soon (hopefully!!)

Ben

• Like 4

7 hours ago, badger said:

Not had much time recently to do anything on these as the start of a new year at work is always crazy busy!!

However 2 of these arrived in the post today and I'm very impressed by them. Much better than anything I could cast myself. Plenty of spares that can be put to good use as well!

2021-09-01_06-22-05

In case anyone is interested these are the Tankgrad T-55am conversion set - worked out about £12ish in the end (I placed a large order to offset the slightly high postage cost as it was the same for one item, or everything I ordered)

More soon (hopefully!!)

Ben

some very nice bits there, was that direct from tankograd?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sardaukar said:

some very nice bits there, was that direct from tankograd?

Thanks for that - I'm rather impressed with them.

Yep - I ordered direct from tankograd. Postage to the UK worked out about £10 which split across everything I ordered wasn't too bad.

Took just over 3 weeks to arrive but was tracked all the way.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Small amount of progress tonight on the AMV version.

Nothing worth a photo as it attaching some boxes to the fenders and starting the roadwheels.

Still at least it was some progress.

• Like 1

To go alongside the T-55s I have been collecting various Soviet tank crew badges. The last one turned up today so I could finish off my frame.

2021-09-03_10-35-22

That can hang in the hobby room alongside my display cabinet.

More soon

Ben

• Like 5