AC-47 Gunship, Revell, 1/48....

Artie

Hi all.....I've found a Revell/Monogram AC-47 gunship in 1/48 scale at a local Toyshop...

I've been looking for a Monogram DC-3 for years now, but due to the size of the box, makes it very expensive to be ordered overseas,,,,shipping costs rise the price to an absurd figure....

My question is....could I build a common, transport DC-3, from that kit????? Apart from all the added weapons to represent a gunship, are there any other differences????? I don't really care about the interior fittings, as I'm planning to build it closed, and the interior will not be seen at all....

I've been told something about the nose contour, but I'm not sure what does it means....

faccbd6a35811a6a51f11ffadf1a4827.jpg

Hello, Artie

I have both Monogram DC-3 and Revell/Monogram C-47 in 1/48, but not the Spooky kit. Still, I doubt it is much different from regular transport version. So, yes, you can not only build transport C-47 out of it, you can also build it into one of demilitarized airliners if you like, providing you have suitable decals.

About nose contour: I read an article somewhere (Air fan, Le fana de l'aviation?) which claimed that in plan view nose of Monogram kit is too narrow. IIRC this had been remedied without too much difficulties with a prism shaped plug(s) and new windshield. Will try to find more. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: About nose contours: check this link, fifth and sixth photo from the top. This guy must have read the same article I mentioned above.

Edited by Jure Miljevic
P.S. added

What Jure said. The only things you'll have to do are add the heater intakes (the small pipes leading forward from the exhausts, shown clearly in your picture) which aren't included in the kit, and modify the exhausts themselves to get rid of the moulded-in ribbing. The exhausts will also need drilling out.

The AC-47 comes with the later paddle style prop blades which from memory are more common than the ones

that came in the original kit.

Though I much prefer this old tart

5MUyGyO.jpg

Thank all for your help........It seems the Gunship will need some mods to be built into a spanish air force example.....Most of them had the paddle style props, some of them had those heater intakes, but not all of them (in fact, almost none) had the large, upper cowling intakes....

ofvpq9.jpg

37.-Exhibici%C3%B3n-EADA-al-despliegue-t