Airfix vs Italeri Jeeps +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

I have been having the internet problems from hell over the last couple of weeks and it is driving me round the bend.  First the forum kept throwing me out every time I tried to do something, then I lost all my pictures on postimagages.org  As if that wasn’t enough I have been experiencing my home internet going down every five minutes for the last few days. 

However, things appear to have calmed down – famous last words eh…

So there is just 5 weeks to go until the vintage Airfix GB begins and I need something to keep me occupied.  I do have a bit of ‘working away’ to do in the next few weeks, so I don’t want to get into something too complicated – so for ‘a bit of fun’ I thought I would attempt a ‘comparison build’ of sorts…

jeep001.jpg

At first glance there is simply ‘no contest’ with the Airfix kit weighing in at 71 parts and the Italeri Jeep consisting of a MASSIVE 11 parts – but you do get 2 Jeeps.  Now it has to be said that the Airfix box contains quite a few ‘bits and bobs’ on the sprues that don’t appear on the instruction sheet, which caters for both British and American versions too.  Then there is a trailer and/or howitzer as well.

jeep002.jpg

I am going to build British versions – so I won’t be adding any MG’s.  I won’t be building the howitzer either and though I am very reliably informed that the trailer is ‘wrong’ for a British Jeep – I am sure I can come up with a convincing ‘back story’.

Hers is a closer look at my latest ‘victims' - firstly the Italeri...

jeep003.jpg

jeep004.jpg

jeep005.jpg

jeep006.jpg

jeep007.jpg

jeep008.jpg

jeep009.jpg

jeep010.jpg

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with all the choices on such a 'simple kit'.  We will soon find out how it compares to a 'real kit' - in the form of the Airfix Jeep...

jeep011.jpg

jeep012.jpg

jeep013.jpg

jeep014.jpg

I won't be using either of these schemes, but a couple of little things 'intrigued' me...

jeep016.jpg

jeep017.jpg

jeep018.jpg

...now I know 'model making' is not just about assembling things - but adding things too - but not putting these 3 pieces of plastic in the kit is a bit mean of Airfix - especially the bridging weight disc.  Now I have a punch to cut a circular plate - but I would imagine many people don't - c'mon Airfix - are you trying to encourage kids or put them off.

As with everything I have been building recently – I know NOTHING about Jeeps – but I will learn as I go along and I’m counting on your help to point me in the right direction too – so please feel free to ‘chip in’ along the way.  I have spent a good week researching possible variants - so a little more later.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 7

• BIG X changed the title to Airfix vs Italeri Jeeps - 'Comparison Build'

As I have 3 Jeeps to work with I want to try 3 different ‘themes’.  I want them all to be part of the British 11th Armoured Division, but fulfilling different roles.  So I have been furiously googling away and received a bit of pre-build help from my good friend @badger

Jeep1 is inspired by this photo I found…

jeep020.jpg

As you can see it is clearly from the 11th – as signified by the ‘Taurus Pursuant’ or ‘Back Bull’.  Due to all the camo netting I could make out a regiment though.  I hoped by zooming in on the soldiers sleeve I might be able to make out the sleeve badge – but it is too feint…

jeep021.jpg

However – the cap badge looked pretty distinctive so I started googling regimental crests and finally found this…

jeep022.jpg

Result – that’s a white '51' on a red background for the arm of service plate.  I can also see a few things as a starting point - I know where the bull needs to go / it has a ringed star on the bonnet / I like the upturned jerry can on the mud guard / this one has the canvas 'tilt' in the closed position / it has a bridging weight disc on with a '2'.

That's plenty to get me started - 1 down 2 to go.

• Like 3

Jeep number 2 was originally inspired by this chap…

jeep023.jpg

I like the idea of an MP - complete with ‘red cap’ and white armlets – maybe marshalling the traffic on my forthcoming Bailey bridge.  A little more googling of the Military Police museum website only served to convince me…

jeep025.jpg

There is my target jeep on the right and are those Universal carriers and Cromwells...

I’m not sure how I’m going to make that ‘MILITARY POLICE’ sign that is under the windscreen though…

jeep026.jpg

Luckily I have the relevant ‘43’ on a black background…

jeep028.jpg

I will use the painting as my guide for this one – as MP jeep pictures seem few and far between on the internet.  I will go for headlights exposed / no star on the bonnet / 43 on the left hand side – as you sit inside.

So these first 2 are both counter to everything I have built up to now – where the bull was on this side.  But hey – maybe jeeps were different…  …who knows.

So that’s 2 down and 1 to go.

• Like 2

The final Jeep was inspired by @badger  when he sent me this rather crazy picture…

jeep029.jpg

jeep030.jpg

Now I am going to draw the line at trying to re-create St. Nick – so I googled for ‘Jeep ambulances in the field’ or something similar and came up with various configurations of stretcher supports…

jeep031.jpg

jeep032.jpg

jeep033.jpg

jeep034.jpg

I think the back only configuration looks the easiest to make.

jeep035.jpg

jeep036.jpg

I have found I do have a stretcher in the vintage Airfix K2Y ambulance I plan to build during the GB – but 2 would have been better, even if I’m not quite sure about the ‘body’…

jeep037.jpg

If anyone finds they have a ‘spare’ stretcher – ‘just lying about’ – ‘looking for a new home’ I promise I would look after it very well :winkgrin:

I think that's all for tonight - but a good overview of what I want to achieve - so let's see how they shape up.  Tomorrow I try to get all the parts cut off the sprues and filed into shape.

Thanks again for looking in and if you have any cool tips or ideas - please feel free to share.

Cheers - Steve

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

I am very reliably informed that the trailer is ‘wrong’ for a British Jeep – I am sure I can come up with a convincing ‘back story’.

Most Non-Com’s are very good at supplying themselves with what might be needed. Lets just say he needed a trailer and had a spare Luger for tradsies. Happened along to a US GI that had a spare trailer but wanted a souvenir. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Most Non-Com’s are very good at supplying themselves with what might be needed. Lets just say he needed a trailer and had a spare Luger for tradsies. Happened along to a US GI that had a spare trailer but wanted a souvenir. 

SSgt. Crapgame perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well this build seems to be going nowhere - fast.  I have had a really busy week with work and when I've been getting home I simply haven't had the urge to 'get going'.  Anyway - enough excuses - I got the 'sanding down' done and came up with a realistic parts count for the Airfix Jeep...

jeep038.jpg

compared to what we already know about the Italeri Jeeps...

jeep039.jpg

I have done some very unscientific parts comparisons too.  The steering wheels for instance...

Here is the 'real thing'...

jeep047.jpg

very basic and very skinny...

Here are the 2 kit parts...

jeep040.jpg

...both look a bit 'chunky' - buts that's only to be expected.  However the Airfix on the right had 4 different bits of spare sprue hanging of it and some very poorly defined levers on the central column - which I  couldn't identify until I had filed them off..  The Airfix wins on being slightly more slender - but the Italeri actually seems more accurate in it's simplicity.

• Like 3

When it comes to the wheels and tyres - here is a sample of the 'real thing'...

jeep_040a.jpg

As you can see the central 'post' is quite pronounced - so it looks like the light grey Airfix wheel is way more accurate...

jeep041.jpg

the brown Italeri looks more like the flat centred spare of the Airfix.  I do like the more pronounced tread on the Italeri though.

• Like 3

The only bit on both kits that I found needed dome filler was the windscreen section on the Italeri - which had a lovely sink right in the middle...

jeep043.jpg

...a bit of Mr Surfacer was enough to fill it up though...

jeep044.jpg

The Airfix part is transparent - like an aircraft canopy...

jeep045.jpg

...so I'm going to have to cut a piece of clear plastic for the Italeri and try to mask the Airfix part arghhh...  I thought I'd got away from clear parts when I gave the aircraft a rest.

• Like 3

When it comes to the dashoboard - here are couple of real ones...

jeep048.jpg

jeep049.jpg

...surprisingly the Airfix one looks pretty poor next to the quick build Italeri...

jeep046.jpg

• Like 2

The radiator and headlamp assemblies are fairly similar - but the Italeri grille is 'deeper'...

jeep050.jpg

Here ae the 2 tilts too...

jeep042.jpg

• Like 3

Lookig at the back...

jeep051.jpg

The lighting on the Airfix is much mre 'delicate' - but ironically - if you filed it off an replaced it with some photo etch - it would probablt look more like the Italeri.  I like the aerial base on the Italeri too.  When it comes to the jerry cans - here is a comparison...

jeep052.jpg

...which do you think looks better...

• Like 2

Here is one side...

jeep053.jpg

the Italeri has moulded on tools - where you glue them on with the Airfix.

The airfix has a hooded light on the mudguard

• Like 3

Apart from the seating - which we will see when they are in place on the Airfix - the other major difference is the underside...

jeep054.jpg

The Italeri is all moulded on where the Airfix is quite complex...

jeep055.jpg

...if I  was modelling it upside down in a ditch I  would be well impressed - but to be honest - I  don't spend much time on the underside as you just don't see it.  There is no denying it is very nice - but looks awfully fragile too.

I  really must get something started though...

• Like 3

As I mentioned earlier - the Airfix kit comes with some rather nice machine guns - which are not appropriate for the British Jeeps I am building...

The 50cal is 'very delicate'...

jeep056.jpg

...maybe too delicate in fact as the barrel is already bent.  Here it is compared to the PSC offering...

jeep057.jpg

looking at the PSC compared to the Airfix - it looks like if I were to chop the barrel off and replace it with a pin it might look better - but not to worry for now.

You also get these...

jeep058.jpg

they will definitely be going in the spares box for 'future use'.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

41874526541_7fe7f1e691_b.jpg

Chris

Ah - a classic American version with the MG pillar mounted in the middle - he says...

...knowing nothing about jeeps - but learning all the time :blush:

• Like 3

An interesting comparison with the Italeri version (which actually looks quite nice - far better than the academy horror!).

As regards steering wheels - I used the Airfix one but thinned it down a lot. Alternatively Dan Taylor Modelworks does some etched brass ones which are nice.

Like the choice of subjects - a good representation of the different roles the jeep was used for. Still think you should convert the St Nicholas figure though!null

All the best

Ben 

• Like 1

Well the weekend is here & I’m determined to make some real progress on these – as it’s a bank holiday too…

As a pre-amble I decided to have a mess with the Howitzer – which I have no intention of actually using – but you know what it’s like when you have been away from the bench for a week or two -  you need to ‘warm up’ – like a top athlete.

I started out by drilling the barrel – to make sure my hands were steady – not bad…

jeep066.jpg

After a lot of phaffing about I managed to wrestle it all together.  What a fiddly little beggar it was too – here it is (minus the wheels) next to my PSC 6pdr…

jeep067.jpg

I just wish I’d ‘researched’ it now though – as the circles on the legs should be hollow…

jeep068.jpg

..one for the bin I think.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Doubt you'll find a better one.  :unsure:

Don't get me wrong Sgt - it is a lovely little thing - it's just a little late to hollow out the holes now :sad:

Despite my doubts on the Howitzer I thought I would 'knock up' the Jeep skid/cradle as well...

jeep065.jpg

...though I will be beggared if I can find a picture of the 'real thing'.  Can anyone point me in the right direction...

I do intend to use the trailer for 'something' - but I am informed it is incorrect for British use - I found this - which is interesting...

jeep062.jpg

That final description of the 'fender' assembly - which I would describe as a 'mudguard' assembly seems to bear this out.

Better evidence of British trailers and theri difference is shown here...

jeep063.jpg

jeep064.jpg

These guys look like British Paras to me.  They must be tough guys too as they don't need 'fender' assemblies on their trailer.  LOCK AND LOAD!!!

As neither jeep comes with any 'crew' I have been chatting to the lads in the spares box, to see who wants to 'volunteer' for duty.  they are busy arguing about it now, so whilst they decide who gets the jobs I have pressed on with the trailer...

jeep059.jpg

jeep060.jpg

jeep061.jpg

Again it is a lovely little thing - but it is time to crack on with the 'main event'.  I think I'm ready...

jeep070.jpg

I love a 'fresh' spraybooth :winkgrin: