FAA/Naval album online

TheBaron

Saw this online just now- some interesting FAA shots from a personal album. The last image of the crashing aircraft most dramatic but can't identify the type:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3558030/Fascinating-photos-Royal-Navy-captain-served-World-Wars-sale.html

Edited by TheBaron
  • Like 2

I think it's a Fairey IIIF, looking at the tailplanes and the photo of the IIIF above.

PS perhaps I'd better check the serial of the one above, but it looks like a IIIF, and appears to have the Lion engine.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Thank you for sharing this. Really superb photos. Some one is going to get a very nice collection.

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

III.Fs' Ospreys' Blackburn Blackburn,Nimrods and Rippons. There appear to be camouflaged Nimrods or Ospreys on one of the carriers.

John

I don't think they are either - they seem to have blunter noses and two bay wings. They actually look like Darts or Ripons, but those would surely be too early for camouflage and 'B' roundels?

Time for some book work on what served on Courageous

• Like 1

I don't think they are either - they seem to have blunter noses and two bay wings. They actually look like Darts or Ripons, but those would surely be too early for camouflage and 'B' roundels?

Time for some book work on what served on Courageous

The Aviation Workshop book, Wings and Waves FAA 1919-39 has a profile of a Dart N9558/05 of 463 Flt, HMS Courageous, 1932, temporarily finished in Nivo with red blue roundels (for night operations) and blue diagonal carrier band and fleet number 05 for fleet manoeuvres in 1932.

A photo of this aircraft in this scheme appears on p78 of the Air Britain book FAA Aircraft, Units and Ships 1920-39, and is probably the reference source.

• Like 1

The Aviation Workshop book, Wings and Waves FAA 1919-39 has a profile of a Dart N9558/05 of 463 Flt, HMS Courageous, 1932, temporarily finished in Nivo with red blue roundels (for night operations) and blue diagonal carrier band and fleet number 05 for fleet manoeuvres in 1932.

A photo of this aircraft in this scheme appears on p78 of the Air Britain book FAA Aircraft, Units and Ships 1920-39, and is probably the reference source.

Sounds like it!

• 3 months later...

The pranged aeroplanes are as follows; S1662 is a Blackburn Baffin, S1169 is a Fairey IIIF and directly below it is a Blackburn Blackburn. The very bottom aircraft crashing in the sea is a Fairey Seal; looks like a IIIF, but for the squared elevator tips.

Edited by nuuumannn