Morning all,

I haven't done a WIP in a while so I thought I might have a go with the new Airfix BE2c (1:72).

I'm planning to do this as an "out of the box" build-apart from one or two scratchbuilt details along the way.

First, the kit.

A nice, small and sturdy box :P

IMG_7488.jpg

The contents.

IMG_7489.jpg

Exceptionally good decals, very neat!

IMG_7493.jpg

Clear windscreens without any blemishes, the only problem is that they are terribly small!

IMG_7494.jpg

The sprues- one or two ejector pin marks on the inside of the fuselage- but these are out of sight when the cockpit is fitted.

IMG_7496.jpg

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 4

Continued....

Beginning on the cockpit.

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

A rather messy interior paint job on the fuselage walls, believe me- it looks acceptable when the fuselage is sealed up!

IMG_7501.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg

IMG_7504.jpg

I used lengths of wire for the control cables (although these are sort of fictional, it turns out, because the pilot is the back-seater -_-)

IMG_7505.jpg

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 3

Nice to see one of these coming together!

I could have sworn I saw a prerelease version of the normal day reconnaissance aircraft, but now I can only find it as part of the dogfight double set, and I don't want to pay $30 for it!

Ian

• Like 1

Good to see someone making a start on this. It's a funny-looking aircraft but an important one so I'm excited to see how it comes out.

I ordered one yesterday so I'll make the most of any tips you have before I start mine!

(By the way Limeypilot, there are loads on fleabay of just the BE2c, not the dogfight double)

• Like 1

Nice to see another one getting built. I've done two so far and from experience getting the cabane struts true is the most important task. Other wise you'll have to take a file and filler to the trailing edge part of the rear cabane set up. As for the reconnaissance version the camera and rear facing mg are in the night fighter boxing. Decals will have to be aftermarket.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Good evening,

As promised, progress has continued at a steady pace:

The fuselage has been painted and has been closed up.

IMG_7511.jpg

Engine compartment glued onto the front.

IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

Nicely detailed engine.

IMG_7513.jpg

An initial coat of vallejo silver with the vallejo dark grey wash.

IMG_7515.jpg

A slightly blurred photo, but you can just about the additional and final pieces of the engine- painted in a copper colour-mixed from vallejo silver and brown.

IMG_7521.jpg

Sam

• Like 2

Catching a welcome break from revision and endless past paers: I've started on the wings. The jig used for the struts was a real help (Thanks Airfix! :D ), i've had my first crack at the rigging- no photos of that- I couldn't bare to reveal it to the world! D: My attempts are dire, but I know how to get round it.

IMG_7522.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

Thanks for your patience :)

Sam

• Like 1

If only they'd thought of that jig for the RE8. Could have saved a lot of kids a lot of hassle! It's coming on nicely.

Ian

I'm no kid :P

But it would have definitely helped! The wings of mine now look like they have been riddled with bullet holes (I attempted the hot needle method to make holes for the rigging)- but i've now invested in some filler to smooth things over.

Sam