1/35 Tamiya Universal Carrier Mk II +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Your comments are much appreciated - thanks guys

Got this one over the finish line...I had a half day today. First task was to fit the loops to the cable (string supplied in the kit). This had been treated with 2-3 coats of Ultimate washes to give it a 'rope' colour. I suspected it was too long and ended up having a devil of a time fitting it. Tightly wound round a brush and Gator Glue applied was all I could do. Loops painted with Tamiya Gun Metal.

004_zpsanhgaeif.jpg

Applied a coat of Alclad Gloss and then applied the kit decals. Finishing it as a KSLI machine in NW Europe. Usual Tamiya stuff - hot water and damp down with kitchen towel - they all fitted well.

005_zps2eezxsee.jpg

Sprayed Tamiya Buff as a dusty finish to the underframe and some light overspray on the body after sealing the decals with more Gloss

006_zpsdceocqyt.jpg

Running gear fitted next. Painless and easy. The tracks have not been glued, just notched together with the join eventuallu hidden behind the skirt. I had to snip some teeth off the drive sprocket to get the tracks on as there was limited clearance but it all went smoothly from thereon in.

007_zpslhziaord.jpg

Another coat of Buff to 'dust' up the running gear and tracks. Glued in the crew and accoutrements. The sergeant gunner had his arm broken off and re-glued as I couldn't get the front Bren in otherwise and he can now pose with his hand on top of the gun. Spare Bren, AA mount, Lee Enfields and aerial also fitted along with storage boxes and wing mirror

008_zpsmnfxqixf.jpg

009_zps6nxpnuq4.jpg

Skirts and footholds fitted and all received a further spray of Buff. All the final interiors fitted including the ammo boxes and storage and stowage.

010_zpsni55cuii.jpg

011_zpsbdxfnlks.jpg

The crew have been sprayed Alclad Flat. That's it as far as I'm concerned and I'll post an RFI later and to the gallery. Thanks all for watching and I hope you enjoyed it.. I did, it's a lovely kit...tricky in parts nut nice detail.

Just musing whether I should do a Gnat T.1 as a final build for the GB (unless I can find my Austin Tilly)

• Like 4

Well done. A nice neat and tidy build... far tidier than mine was! I'm glad you enjoyed making it. It must just be me then who didn't!

But as I said, these little run-arounds DO look good. Mine will end up in a diorama (currently WIP) What about yours?

Oh, one question. When I made mine I was positive that there was rope coiled up on the front cover. I did as you did, but mine fitted perfectly just by pure luck, and then I read the instructions and discovered that it was actually supposed to be a steel cable and had to repaint it in-situ. Now, it's possible I got my paint codes mixed up and I'm wrong and you're right. I don't think it makes any difference either way. I'm sure both were used., but what do the instructions say?

Regards,

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Well done. A nice neat and tidy build... far tidier than mine was! I'm glad you enjoyed making it. It must just be me then who didn't!

But as I said, these little run-arounds DO look good. Mine will end up in a diorama (currently WIP) What about yours?

Regards,

Badder.

Thanks mate. I'm early doors to AFV modelling and would love to do some dioramas. This will (for now) just sit with some of my other AFV models - I think there's a diorama build later in the year where I'm going to really try and challenge myself. I'm always so impressed by AFV dioramas at Telford and the various shows I go to - so much more scope than with aircraft.

I'll have to have a look at the instructions! However I've seen both on finished models and as far as I'm concerned it's staying as a rope!

• Like 1

That's looking great Andy.

But, wow, that filter on your spray booth really needs replaced :yikes:

And I refer you to "Last purchased" thread - they are on their way! :thumbsup:

• Like 1