Indian Air Force 'Chakra' roundels

Ace From Outer Space

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I should be posting this topic here or in the Cold War section, so please indulge me a little if you feel I have posted it im the wrong place.

I am looking for decals in 1/72, 1/32 and 1/24 for early Indian Air Force roundels, notably, the 'chakra' symbol of a blue spinning wheel on a white circle as seen in the centre of the Indian tricolour. Does anyone know of any decals out there that fit th bill?

Cheers, and thank you all very much for any help and for taking the time to read this thread,

Viv

Edited by Ace From Outer Space

Thanks Giorgio. I have the Eduard 1/48 profipack Spit Mk8 so hopefully if i can find evidence of them being flown with the Chakra painted on, then I'll order the Iliad set. Thank you for your help and info,

Cheers

Viv

Hi, Ace! Technically it's "cold war", as the shoret-lived Chakra markings started to appear in 1948 as the first 'post independence' markings. Apparently "short lived" because they were very difficult to lay out and paint! There aren't a lot of photos of aircraft carrying these. If it should help, the Chakra markings on our sheet are 1.16" (ca 29.5 mm) for the large ones and .74" (ca 19 mm) for the small. And here's a poor photo, but one taken from an interesting vantage point. It looks to be a Dakota wing.

Bob

indianspits.jpgChakra-Markings.jpg

It should be in Cold War........ here's a picture of one of those Spitfires.... from "The Eagle Strikes" (history of RIAF 1932-1950)

21423182350_f75a4e2fd5_b.jpg

In April 1948 the R.I.A.F': adopted national markings consisting of the 'Asoka Chokra" to be shown on wings and fuselage; and tricolour flashes for the fin. The Asoka Chokra was navy blue in colour, while the tricolour flash consisted of saffron, white and dark green, with saffron towards the leading edge of the fin. (AFO (I) Tech 1/48, National Markings for Aircraft.)

Perfect guys, thank you very very much! Bob, I will place an order after the 26th as it is pay day!

Cheers and many thanks Bob, Ed and Giorgio, I will ask a mod to kindly move this!

Viv

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Phil. I've only ever seen black and white photos of aircraft with the Chakra roundels. I, well, the better half ordered me the Iliad set yesterday night so I'll go with those on this build!

Thank you all once again for your input, it has been most enlightening and very gratefully received!

Cheers al,

Viv

• 6 years later...
On 10/2/2015 at 11:37 PM, nubrawarriors said:

The Chakras on the Spitfire above are painted on a yellow circle, not white.

I don't think it is yellow. It looks like the RAF roundel was overpainted with fresh camouflage colour. The Chakra is usually seen on a white background but sometimes the underlying colour. Museum aircraft and profiles with garish green and orange Chakras are highly suspect.