Me 262 B1a/U1 Nachjager 1/72

Hi All,

This is the first of my multi seat/engined Nachtjagers of the late war.

Kit: Revell Me 262 B-1a/U1 (04179)

Scale: 1/72

Finished as: Me 262 B-1a/U1 “Red 12” as per the box art belonging to 10./NJG11, no WrNr 111980

Aftermarket accessories: none

Decals: Kit supplied with after market swastika

Extras: Scratchbuilt Naxos radar aerials.

Paints: Interior/exterior. AK Interactive acrylic Luftwaffe set and Tyre black. Upper surfaces RLM 76 base with pencil 'sqiggles', wings RLM 70, lower surface Tyre Black.

various detail painting with Tamiya acrylics, oil wash, Future gloss coat and Tamiya acrylic matt varnish.

Overall the kit is well detailed with no need to add any extras, even if you were to pose the canopy open, the cockpit is well done. Radar aerials were well overscale so I replaced them with fine electrical wire. Decals went down very nicely, I used Micro Set and Sol to help but do not think it was needed. There are a good amount of stencils which add the finishing touches. With the camouflage I decided that the upper wings and tailplane would have been solid rather than the splinter pattern in the instructions. I based this on 'Red 8' which is in South Africa. I kept weathering to a bare minimum because these machines had very little use before surrendering.

Overall a very nice kit and well recommended.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

In full sun

IMG_0179.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope that you enjoy it.

Shane

• Like 15

Nice work, the squiggles work really well.

I made the same kit quite recently but used some photos and a colour profile of Red 12 as reference for the colour scheme. They agreed that the wings were most likely a solid single colour.

Duncan B

Very clever camo idea with the pen! The result is really pretty, but I have to say that to me it doesn't look very similar to any actual Me 262 night fighter camo that I've seen on period photos.

Maybe a lighter grey and a wider tip would get it nearer to the impression of the original?

Inventive modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for all the (mostly) positive comments guys, appreciate it. Using a pencil (Sorry Reserve_22 I don't know the type of pencil as it has no markings on it and I bought it a long time ago, but it is a fairly soft, dark one if that helps) was very much an experiment trying to replicate the way the painters applied the squiggles in real life (however in the negative as it is the lighter colour that was painted as a the squiggle). At normal viewing distances it looks realistic, but closer up you can see it is simply drawn on so the technique still needs a bit of work. I have a Uhu that will more than likely have the squiggle scheme and I will see if I can improve upon this.

Thanks again for looking and the comments.

Shane