Rick's Shunkmodels 1/48 HH-60J USCG Jayhawk FINISHED

infofrog

Looking so good but its gonna hurt when you'll have to close the two halfs and all of that lovely inside details

Did you dry-fit the two halfs and the front window?

I'm asking that because I've made a 1/72 SH-60B and the front window was realy near the control panel

Better test and see if the panel doesn't touch the glass than having troubles after painting

It's gonna be tight to put the other collective on the seat of the right side

Following and enjoying it

Edited by Vitor Sousa

Looking so good but its gonna hurt when you'll have to close the two halfs and all of that lovely inside details

I'm asking that because I've made a 1/72 SH-60B and the front window was realy near the control panel

Better test and see if the panel doesn't touch the glass than having troubles after painting

It's gonna be tight to put the other collective on the seat of the right side

Following and enjoying it

No I have not .

I guess , I better check that fitting .

Thanks for the advice

Rick

I'm sure glad you told me . Yes the front window was hitting the dash . I re-cut the dash out lowered about two hairs .

Im really ,so happy for that information. I never get that lucky .. You saved my butt ..

Again thank you

Rick

Yes the front window was hitting the dash . I re-cut the dash out lowered about two hairs .

It's really a big dash, don't know how pilots can see front in the real helicopter
And when I saw you adding metal to the kit I remember my Seahawk, same trouble there

Glad I could help :winkgrin:

Edited by Vitor Sousa
  • Like 1

The cockpit is almost all black .

The cargo floor has black faded strips . I guess non slip black strips that they are .

So I base the first colour black. Then I dry brush gun metal color

Thank you

rick

mh-60j_6003_30_of_62.jpg

mh-60j_6003_11_of_62.jpg

Here the cargo area . The floor black strips are weathered and faded .. The side walls and back wall will be Russian blue/green model masters . Yes weird colour . It matches the wall colour

mh-60j_6003_49_of_62.jpg

• Like 1

I just need Nigel airbrush . He has the cadillac airbrush .. I love that brush .. H&S Infinity . I do have an eye on his compressor too. He's lucky I don't live close to him , I would borrow .Then i'll be no return buddy . :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

Rick

• Like 1

This morning , I taped the black stripes off .

I painted the cargo floor med. gray .

Pulled tape stripes off , The lightly airbrushed very thin med. gray over the floor to give a faded look over the black stripes.

I will lightly dry brush later gun metal .

Rick

001-12.jpg

002-12.jpg

003-11.jpg

004-7.jpg

005-7.jpg

• Like 1

That's looking good Rick, nice to see some relief to all that black. I reckon some sort of lighter grey wash on the black areas would also lift things. The black on the real machine does not look quite as dark as you have it. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

That's looking good Rick, nice to see some relief to all that black. I reckon some sort of lighter grey wash on the black areas would also lift things. The black on the real machine does not look quite as dark as you have it. :winkgrin:

My limit exp. here .

Would gun metal dry brush do that ? Not sure

What would a gray wash be .? Just spray very thin med gray to over cast the black ?

only weathering exp. I have is Flory weathering product

Rick

Gosh Rick, I'm not sure what to advise. When I made the comment I was thinking of a brushed on grey wash. The floor area here looks a bit like the effect you would get with that:

mh-60j_6003_30_of_62.jpg

There is a Humbrol Dark Grey wash that might work or you could get some artists oil paints and mix your own. That would probably give you more control on the colour and density of the effect.

Paint a card with gray and fine tune the shade of gray holding him next the photo. If you hold a black card near the photo you'll notice that the photo doesn't look that dark.

I suggest you paint slightly with the gray you tuned but try it from above , not filling everything equally so that some dark remain under the gray has shadows. After that maybe a light dry brush to some highlight on the edges.

Edited by Vitor Sousa
  • Like 1