Hasegawa 1/48 F-4S Phantom FINISHED!

Mozzy19

I wasn't going to do a WIP for this, but it's going together so quickly, I thought I'd share my progress. :)

This build is a mojo restorer after I lost it while building the Kinetic F-16. So it's going to be completely out the box.

The kit in question
image_zps0b31c69f.jpg

Cockpit work. The seats have been painted and the side consoles tidied up since I took the photos.
image_zps6da54945.jpg
image_zps979d2519.jpg

Exterior work. Still more to do, then a few seams need tidied up.
image_zps2e357722.jpg
image_zps57c5cbd8.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the photos.
Progress should be pretty rapid on this one.

Sean :pilot:

• Like 2

The Norwegian F-16 is on hold until I finish this one. It completely killed my drive to build things. I'll get back to it though, the scheme is too nice not to have!

I'm not going with the box art scheme for the Phantom. It's going to wear the VF-161 CAG scheme, the second marking option. But I'll attempt to replicate some wear with different types of gull grey paint.

Sean

More progress today.

Made some basic seat harnesses out of various types of tape. Just need to paint them up and do the ejection handles once the glue has dried.

image_zps54b26852.jpg

image_zps91059104.jpg

image_zps800bea4e.jpg

Also fitted the wing strap and intake ECM as well as a small amount of filling.

image_zpscafa0f77.jpg

image_zps6a547bc8.jpg

image_zps23e80b85.jpg

It should be ready for paint soon!

Today's update concerns the seats.

Painted the firing handles using cocktail sticks to apply the red, yellow and black. Painted the belts using Modelmaster RAF green and Humbrol EDSG. Not wildly accurate, but they'll look good enough through the canopy. I also dry brushed the seat frames with EDSG to weather them slightly.

02793d70-c19d-45af-8f4e-c92122b44f2d_zps

4471a20f-ddc9-44c3-9660-e69a84c3ded4_zps

cd8dec50-1e0e-4607-8968-e97c7c868d7a_zps

7263790e-5e7a-460c-b26d-079fbb560e32_zps

I'm extremely pleased with how these turned out. They're by far my best seats so far, it's just a pity not much will be seen of them. :shrug:

The main fuselage has had quite a lot of sanding of seams and a small amount of filler, but nothing significant.

Ps. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this photography lark!

Small update today.

Tidied up the seams and primed them with black paint. Also painted up the instrument coaming and fitted a few other small bits and bats.

Pictures to follow,

Sean

Thanks Simon.

Well I said I'd have some photos of my progress, but Photobucket isn't playing nicely and I can't for the life of me understand what Flickr is all about. :(

Hopefully I'll get them uploaded today. :pray:

Fingers crossed,

Sean

Well, as it usually happens as soon as I posted, I went back and checked Photobucket, which is now working... :bangin:

6ab4a9b1-dc30-4b81-9629-ba976174419d_zps

b5cefd18-c63f-4da3-9bac-91f0256984de_zps

Back to my customary awful photography for these ones I'm afraid.

Sean

• Like 1

Update time!

Masked and fitted the canopy. And sanded back some of the primed seams.

6ed39d4a-3336-45c5-9012-e80e8e8620b0_zps

2c49ec19-c1dd-4e7e-a847-ff722371c796_zps

Then I applied the first coat of Humbrol Satin Gull Grey.

34ba460f-30d3-44a1-93fc-c58fb297d66c_zps

568bd4c6-1014-462f-8ea0-b4a07b96709f_zps

Not long after I took these photos, it fell over and broke the main rotor of an unfortunate Apache sitting on the shelf next to it. :(

Also assembled and painted the 2 wing drop tanks. One was painted using Modelmaster Gloss Gull Grey, the other Humbrol. I don't know why I bothered, you can only tell the difference of paints by the gloss on one. :shrug:

image_zpsb5adcfbd.jpg

image_zpsfaac0c0d.jpg

More tomorrow hopefully,

Sean

Got a second coat of Humbrol on this afternoon. I've forgotten how nice Humbrol is to brush paint with!

Pics to follow later/tomorrow. :)

Owcha. Micromesh time...

It is indeed... :shrug:

But I think I fixed it!

And I've added some panel variation, although I'll have to tone it down.

image_zps0dcd8865.jpg

And painted the hot end.

image_zps3a0b0e50.jpg

I had more paint peel off with the masking tape as well... :wall:

I take it that you're using Tamiya tape. Is it Humbrol enamel paint and have you had this happen before?

Yeah it is Tamiya tape and Humbrol. I can only think it's doing it because I haven't primed the whole thing. But it never used to happen before I started using primer.

That's a bit weird but I do think that priming is for the best. As you didn't prime it did you give it a nice soapy bath before painting? And I guess the other possible cause could be if the paint hasn't quite had time to cure fully before masking. Anyway, despite the minor paint lifts, it's looking very good.

I should have rinsed it, but I didn't. It's never been a problem before but hey ho, you live and learn. :frantic:

The next one is being washed AND primed!

Sean

Instead of using the terrible kit supplied exhausts, I replaced them with items from the Academy kit. Not as good as a resin replacement, but much better than the kit offerings.

They required sanding and some cutting of the inside of the fuselage, but they fit!

image_zpsd51dd2b8.jpg

image_zps57f1074f.jpg

I also toned down the panel variations and painted the ECM on the intakes as well as more touch ups from lifting paint...

image_zps57b8deaa.jpg

image_zps104cda91.jpg

Now for the wheel wells, then gloss coat and decals.