RQ/MQ-1 Predator

Mike

RQ/MQ-1 Predator

Bronco Models 1:48

boxtop.jpg

I've been eyeing this kit for a while since its launch was mooted, and now that it's in my hand, I feel a quick build coming on. Bronco Models are best known for their armour models, but have lately diversified, and to my admittedly limited knowledge, this is their first aircraft kit.

The Predator is one of the new Unmanned Air Vehicles, flown remotely by the "pilot" from a position of safety back at base using advanced electronic communications. So far they have been useful for long range observation, with long loiter times on station, but lately these more capable platforms have been augmented with weapons to turn their role into more of a traditional seek & destroy mission.

First used in action in 2002, the Predator has the capacity to carry a pair of Hellfire missiles since 2005 following avionics upgrades, allowing it to pack a sizeable punch if it happens upon a target of opportunity, or is directed there by a FAC in the vicinity.

The kit arrives in a compact end-opening box, and comprises 2 sprues of grey plastic, one small sprue of clear plastic for the optics (no canopy, remember?), and a small ziplok bag for the decals, which is a considerate touch for those storing their kits in a damp loft.

Instructions are in color on glossy paper, and as you will probably have guessed, very straight forward, consisting of only 4 build steps. There's also an addendum sheet advising you to add some nose-weight before closing the fuselage - it's not just modellers that forget!

The detail on the kit parts is nicely engraved, with plenty of detail out of the box, and slide-moulding technology has been used on one sprue to give the Hellfires recessed exhausts, and their launch rails a nice concave structure. Commendable attention to detail for a relatively simple kit.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

There's an interesting upwards curve to the wing parts, which leads me to suspect that it has been modelled in flight, as available references of the Predator on the ground imply that the wing has no dihedral at rest. Taping the wings to a flat surface and applying hot water should cure that if it bothers you however.

Whilst on the wings, it's worthwhile noting that while they are each a one-piece moulding, there is not even the slightest sign of sink marks, despite the fact that there are some relatively substantial actuator linkages on the underside of the wing. A lot of injection moulding companies could learn a valuable lesson from this moulding.

The wings interlock inside the fuselage, giving them a very strong joint that is unlikely to separate in anything other than a catastrophic terminal velocity incident - dropping your model to you & I. The landing gear is necessarily long and spindly, but has been moulded with good sized locating tabs, so unless you overdo the nose weight you shouldn't have any trouble with splaying legs.

Color call-outs are made for detail parts throughout the 4 stage build process, and a paint chart sits at the bottom of the first page of the instructions covering Gunze, Hobby Color, Humbrol and Tamiya, which should cover availability for most if not all continents.

decals.jpg

The overall color scheme is of course grey, but the recon bird is painted in a lighter shade than the Hellfire equipped version, which is of course, the one I'll be doing. Decals are provided for both aircraft, as well as an Italian airframe, which is documented on the back of the box, together with another Hellfire carrier, which threw me for a moment, as I'd neglected to look at the bottom of the box. Color callouts on the airframes helpfully include FS numbers where appropriate, which should help the perfectionists immensely.

I used to think these "drones" were a bit dull, but they're starting to come into their own now that they're beginning to carry weapons, and as there's no cockpit to paint & detail, it should make a quick build.

Conclusion

A lovely moulding of a (dare I say it?) cute UAV from Bronco. It's right up there with the best in terms of moulding technology and finesse, and will make an interesting addition to the display case next to any of your manned aircraft, without taking up too much space.

A hearty recommendation, but don't forget to fix that dihedral on the wings if you're modelling it parked.

There is now a build review here

Review sample courtesy of hljlogo.gif

Just a thought....

Are the wings molded to have a 'droop' whilst on the ground laden with fuel? Can they be reversed like that?

Chris

Nope - the wings are "sided", with different detail top & bottom. I just nipped one off the sprue and tweaked it with light thumb pressure, so I don't think it's going to be too difficult to sort out :)