McLaren Mercedes MP4/13 1998 Formula One Race Car

rowmk9

Thanks guys, yeah I noticed that seem line on the exhuast after looking at the picture with a critical eye, so its due to meet some sanding paper. Thanks for pointing it out though :P

The Top Studio set is very nice, if a little daunting to a modeller of my skill level. In the instruction sheet picture I posted, all the Top Studio additions are in colour, the Tamiya parts are in primer grey - so yes Madmonk, I think you're right too.

And I must admit, I did have to check with my mate (who is a true petrolhead) to find out for sure what Lambda sensors were.... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Nice project Rowan, this one is definitely on my 'to do' list, and has been ever since I saw the real thing at the VSCC "Return of the Silver Arrows" meeting at Donington back in the day. I managed to get some detail pictures (I had a press pass in those days), which I've scanned in. Hope they are of some use! I've built the Tamiya model OOB before, but when you look at the pics you realise how much is missing, which is why I want to super-detail it as you are doing.

tj23mFNX.jpg

3rnbrtR5.jpg

dg5e4ztt.jpg

JF9jg6UY.jpg

QQK8YbGm.jpg

PVRh2bQg.jpg

f24JAgOj.jpg

rrEwMOGM.jpg

3oXbzwJJ.jpg

SeL71hs2.jpg

W3vcS5xz.jpg

I1uiqGEL.jpg

UAp5NxBj.jpg

bvoY58xJ.jpg

CRVSN7R6.jpg

If you want a race-by race analysis of new parts, get Giorgio Piolia's "Formula 1 '98 Technical Analysis" book:

tSlSizwe.jpg

Or the "Formula 1 Yearbok 1998-99":

sS0NqkLu.jpg

Or of course Autocourse.

Happy Modelling! Cheers,

Dr_gn.

:yikes:

well what can I say Dr_gn? You very lucky lucky *******, that must have been some experience.

Those pictures are amazing, they really show the detail of the car. I'll be studying them carefully whilst I decide to move my F1 project on. Right now painting is off limits - too damn cold in my garage.

Thankyou for sharing them, I'm sure other motorsport enthusiasts will enjoy looking at them too :) I know I am!

I'll not manage the level of detail I can see in the pics, but I certainly have something to aim for thats damn accurate. I'm a happy boy :yahoo:

:yikes:

well what can I say Dr_gn? You very lucky lucky *******, that must have been some experience.

Those pictures are amazing, they really show the detail of the car. I'll be studying them carefully whilst I decide to move my F1 project on. Right now painting is off limits - too damn cold in my garage.

Thankyou for sharing them, I'm sure other motorsport enthusiasts will enjoy looking at them too :) I know I am!

I'll not manage the level of detail I can see in the pics, but I certainly have something to aim for thats damn accurate. I'm a happy boy :yahoo:

No probs. Shame it wasn't a digital camera - the scans aren't that good, but show how much is missing from the detail kit...this is one of the reasons I didn't bother: not enough experience of scratch building to do it justice!

Yes, it was lucky. Having said that, it was the previous years' car, so there were no restrictions on photography that you get during a current season. The VSCC have a "See Red" meeting at Donington, and there is usually a historic F1 race or demo, sometimes the Ferrari customer brigade are there. I've got detail shots of quite a few of the 90's and early 00's F1 Ferrari's too.

I was lucky enough to get passes for F1 testing in the late '80's and early '90's as well, so I've got some good reference pics of certain F1 cars. If anyone wants them, let me know the subject and I'll have a look!

Looking forward very much to seeing progress on this - it looks excellent so far.

Cheers,

Dr_gn.

Great photos dr_gn, certainly wont get that close on curent cars. Not wanting to hi-jack the thread but I have the same Top Studio set for the 2000 Ferrari, so if you have any pics they may get me in the mood to build it.

Sorry for the intrusion Rowan!

Great photos dr_gn, certainly wont get that close on curent cars. Not wanting to hi-jack the thread but I have the same Top Studio set for the 2000 Ferrari, so if you have any pics they may get me in the mood to build it.

Might have pictures, but don't think so...

I think I do have the Giorgio Piolia Technical Analysis book for that year though, I'll look when I get home.

Cheers!

Here you go, I think this is the Ferrari F-2000 :

m9qncO0y.jpg

kKj4kqoa.jpg

kIVasiw5.jpg

9Pb92sXp.jpg

Mrf0Qo4h.jpg

qTd9pYtK.jpg

7PWFKsUV.jpg

uFv5e7JY.jpg

qp7IpikF.jpg

3Z17CA2w.jpg

lwyZRMgc.jpg

UIMVqHR8.jpg

Dr-gn, Certainly looks like the animal, again great photos and many thanks for posting them. Not sure I will get as far as putting the serial numbers on the suspension parts though!

Rowan, hi-jack over!

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

Oi!

The glacial pace of my Macca progress is no excuse to have a prancing horse usurping my build! :P Nah I don't mind really, they are stunning close up pics of an F1 car and for that reason alone I can let it pass.

Anyway, there has been a BIT of progress on the engine, or to be more accurate, the heat shields that are protecting...uh, something from the hot exhaust temperatures. I've also put base colours onto the actual exhausts. Next stage is to add some heat discolouration which should be fun as I've not done that before!

The photoetch heat shields after being covering in silver foil, 'textured' with a file and sprayed x-26 clear orange

p1060386y.jpg

The engine and exhausts in situ.

p1060388.jpg

Oi!

The glacial pace of my Macca progress is no excuse to have a prancing horse usurping my build! :P Nah I don't mind really, they are stunning close up pics of an F1 car and for that reason alone I can let it pass.

Anyway, there has been a BIT of progress on the engine, or to be more accurate, the heat shields that are protecting...uh, something from the hot exhaust temperatures. I've also put base colours onto the actual exhausts. Next stage is to add some heat discolouration which should be fun as I've not done that before!

The photoetch heat shields after being covering in silver foil, 'textured' with a file and sprayed x-26 clear orange

p1060386y.jpg

The engine and exhausts in situ.

p1060388.jpg

Stonking Work - very clean which is always a good sign. Can't wait to get stuck into mine (when I get it!).

Carbon Decals on the floor or not?

I'm probably going to leave the floor black, from your pics any carbon fibre weave seems difficult to see on that part. Other bits like the suspension arms, I've yet to decide on but more than likely they'll be covered in decal. I know the cockpit will be (saying cockpit is fine for an F1 car :P).

edit: thanks for the compliment too! I avoid super close ups so it always looks better than it really is :D

Edited by rowmk9

As a little aside, the silver used on the 1997-01 cars was understood to be a Volvo colour. In total I believe the process of elimination ended after 16 full-size sets of bodywork were painted in various different shades of silver at the end of '96 and early '97 to be tested for suitability in different lights and on TV cameras etc. with the Swedish hue winning out.

Lovely build going on here. Looking forward to some more!

Once Christmas is out of the way, I will get around to doing some measurements and comparison photos of the front and rear wings from the two different Tamiya MP4-13s - promise!

No worries Obi Jiff! I'm a fair way off the bodywork yet, and I'm still a bit nervous about cutting/making new wing parts. I'll either do something silly like buy a Japan GP version (if I can find one!) and steal the wings or maybe leave it as the German GP machine.

I'll muse upon it further...

• 5 years later...