McLaren Mercedes MP4/13 1998 Formula One Race Car

rowmk9

So who here loves F1? (sees lots of raised hands)

Excellent! cause I'll be building this F1 car and posting progress of the build in the coming months (this one is going to be lengthy build for me).

For me, This is THE car that got me interested in F1. Being fairly young at 27ys I was too young really to fully appreciate the greatness of drivers like Senna, Mansell, Lauda, Piquet Sr or Stewart, although I do respect them. But I started watching F1 during 1998 and immediately became a doe-eyed fan of Mika Hakkinen, I still am really. His undoubted talent on the race track allowed him to take on and beat Michael Schumacher consistently (current season aside) and not many drivers could say the same, perhaps only Fernando Alonso. Mika's demeanour and attitude when out of the car was also very inspirational to me.

But enough for now about my racing idol, the kit!

p1060057.jpg

As you can see, I've forked out alot of money for the Top Studio set. Buying an upgrade set this expensive is rare for me, but this is a special case. The set itself is gorgeous, with PE sheets, resin parts, cables, pipes, seatbelts crammed inside, I'll show them as the build progresses. I've also sourced some West livery decals, so that the car can be displayed in its proper cigarette sponsor loving glory!

Of course, there's no doubt which car I'll be building....Mika's.

Edited by rowmk9

An excellent choice, Sir. For me, this is the best-looking F1 car of the last 20 years or so, and Mr Hakkinen my favourite driver of the same timeframe. I even named my cat after him!. I've been a fan of his since his F3 days, and still rate 1998 as one of my favourite seasons ever (not least because of the end result). It was especially nice to see Mika take the title after his near-fatal accident at the end of 1995.

I've got 4 of these in the stash (including 2 of the Japanese GP edition, with different front wing and West decals), and die-casts in 1/43 too. Did you know that, when released, this became Tamiya's best-selling F1 kit ever? I suspect it's been surpassed since, but it was so popular they seriously considered releasing a 1/12 version - if only!

I shall be following this build with great interest.

Incidentally, do you have a particular race in mind for the model to represent?

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Another Mika fan!

I've not decided on which race yet, by the look of the wings it is in a low downforce set-up, so possibly Hockenheim? The old track that blasted through the forest that is, not the new, shortened, neutered layout.

Ah, just checked the instructions, the model depicts the Germany GP version so I was right! Hockenheim it is!

Hurray, something without a prop or a jet engine!!!

Great choice, I built it first time round and IIRC very nice it was too.

I have the Top Studio set for the Ferrari F2001 which is a nice set so the Mclaren should be ae well.

As Obi said "will be watching with interest."

Ah, just checked the instructions, the model depicts the Germany GP version so I was right! Hockenheim it is!

It is indeed. The model has the right wings and sponsorship for the German GP, as cigarette advertising was not allowed in Germany, same as Britain and France at that time. From memory, the only low-downforce race with West sponsorship that year was the Italian GP at Monza, but Mika only finished 4th after brake trouble.

It is indeed. The model has the right wings and sponsorship for the German GP, as cigarette advertising was not allowed in Germany, same as Britain and France at that time. From memory, the only low-downforce race with West sponsorship that year was the Italian GP at Monza, but Mika only finished 4th after brake trouble.

Pity it's not the 1999 car from the Italian GP, that would have made a good diorama!!!!

"Kleenex for Mr Hakkinen"

of course!

that is a shame about the sponsorship decals. I prefer the West sponsorship adorned car, but I'm not too keen on modelling the car from a race it didn't win. Hmmm. I'll think on it.

Thanks for the info though! :)

Pity it's not the 1999 car from the Italian GP, that would have made a good diorama!!!!

hehe yeah, that's one of those rare moments in motorsport. I felt so sorry for him I think I might have cried a little myself! Of course, I'd never admit it...

He'd not been very well lately!

of course!

that is a shame about the sponsorship decals. I prefer the West sponsorship adorned car, but I'm not too keen on modelling the car from a race it didn't win. Hmmm. I'll think on it.

Thanks for the info though! :)

If you'd like, I can dig out one of my Japanese GP kits and measure up the front wing, and post some photos, including comparison with the standard kit's wing, in case you want to try a conversion. The front wing from the Japan kit should be pretty much identical with the one on the Luxembourg GP (Nurburgring) car (the preceding race), which to me is Mika's finest win ever. The car also wore full West livery there.

...Being fairly young at 27ys... But I started watching F1 during 1998...

Just noticed, this makes us the same age. Maybe there's something about people of our age being drawn to Mika. More likely it's his talent, and the fact that he was the first man who looked like he had what it took to beat Schumacher in a straight fight.

He'd not been very well lately!

If you'd like, I can dig out one of my Japanese GP kits and measure up the front wing, and post some photos, including comparison with the standard kit's wing, in case you want to try a conversion. The front wing from the Japan kit should be pretty much identical with the one on the Luxembourg GP (Nurburgring) car (the preceding race), which to me is Mika's finest win ever. The car also wore full West livery there.

If you could do that for me Obi that'd be great. no rush for it though, as I'm taking my time with this one.

If you could do that for me Obi that'd be great. no rush for it though, as I'm taking my time with this one.

I'll dig the kits out of my mum's loft tomorrow, and post the photos etc in due course.

What sort of references have you got? I don't think I've got much in the way of interior detail shots, but I have Autosport and Autocourse for the relevant year.

Watching this one!! I've also got the kit, but plan on doing Mr. Coulthard's car. One day.....!!

Can anyone with more F1 knowledge/reference than me tell me if the kit has the 'correct' aerodynamic set up for Silverstone?

Looking forward to this one Rowan!

Keef

PS, can I ask where you got the West decals Rowan? I was looking when I got the kit when it was re-issued, but all my usual suppliers had sold out....

I'll dig the kits out of my mum's loft tomorrow, and post the photos etc in due course.

What sort of references have you got? I don't think I've got much in the way of interior detail shots, but I have Autosport and Autocourse for the relevant year.

I have to own up and say the only ref's I've got are pictures sourced from the interweb. Which is probably why I'm in this West sponsorship pickle! :P I think phase one of this build needs to be - research properly!

To Keff - I bought the decals about a year ago now and can't remember where I got them! Looking through my paypal history, after I bought the car kit I bought some things from SNC hobbies and Hiroboy just after but unforuntately it doesn't state the items I bought. So you could try either of them. Another good place for car aftermarket stuff is MediaMix.com, that ships from the far east

I just noticed I put this thread in the wrong place, it should be in the WIP - Vehicles thread. could a mod move it for me? pretty please with a cherry on top :please:

... I bought some things from SNC hobbies and Hiroboy just after but unforuntately it doesn't state the items I bought. So you could try either of them. Another good place for car aftermarket stuff is MediaMix.com, that ships from the far east

Thanks Rowan - those are three of my usual sources! Unfortunately all sold out. No worries if I do actually do a British GP car anyway!

Keef

hehe oh well!

I tried, but you're right, getting hold of the decals is very difficult. As are the wing conversion sets I'm now eyeing up, I think most sold out years ago!

For the British GP it is appasble although even then wing and fence/bargeboards differed slightly from race to race.

I have a part built model of the pre-season test car in the overall Orange scheme with West sponsorship. May have to did it out.

THC

Thanks Rowan - those are three of my usual sources! Unfortunately all sold out. No worries if I do actually do a British GP car anyway!

Keef

If in doubt, why not get them direct from ScaleMotorsport >>>Here<<<

I have the sheet, but actually damaged 1 off the full colour 'West' logos, removing it from the envelope for a fondle, the adhesive on the cellophane wrapper is bloody stronger than the adhesive on the decal sheet :oops: , luckily the markings for the Orange test car survived intact and I also have 1 of the Japanese GP kits that include the 'West' logos.

Hi Ant,

That's the test car sheet - aren't the race car logos a different size? I was always under the impression they were & the Tabu or museum collection sheets were the only 'correct' ones for the race cars? But I'm certainly no F1 expert, & have only gone by what I've read elsewhere! If the Scale Motorsport ones will work for the race cars, happy days....!!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I've not worked out quite what I'm doing in terms of wings, West and livery, but that doesn't stop me from working on the internals does it? Of course not!

So whilst I figure out what I'm doing with the bodywork I've been putting the engine and gearbox together. Still very much early days but at least I've got the ball rolling :)

The suspension arms are not painted yet, just to clear that up. And lots of detail needs to go in, this is just the basic engine block painted XF-16 Flat Aluminium and the gearbox painted X-10 Gun Metal with a splash of XF-1 Flat Black, as per the instructions.

p1060069d.jpg

p1060070c.jpg

And if a mod sees this, could they be so kind as to move this thread in to the Work In Progress > Vehicles forum? I started the thread in the wrong place, I'm sorry!

Edited by rowmk9