Local interest Tempest V

bull-nut

I almost forgot that I'd signed up for this, but now that the two Sherman's are done, it's time to shift back to thinks with wings. Specifically, this kit;

SR848.jpg?t

With which I will attempt, in my ongoing project to model one each of all of my local squadrons types, a passing representation of one of the aircraft flown by No501 (County of Gloucester) Sqn RAuxAF. Which served as a fighter squadron from 1938 until it's disbandment in, IIRC, 1957.

(Yes, I know 501 still exists, but they are now a logistics support squadron, and I don't have room to display an Atlas!)

Airframe reg and codes to follow once I have suitably perused my reference material. I know I've seen a period photo of a bare metal finish somewhere. I want to say EJ533 SD-R, but I'll be back later after consulting Nil Time.

Edit: SD-R was EJ538, but was stripped of paint, so she will be my subject for this GB.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 3

Welcome to the GB bull-nut. It's always good to hear of someone working on a model with a personal connection or local interest and the Tempest is a fine subject on its own so these extra factors will make for a great project.

And so it begins; I forgot to take sprue pics before I started, so I'll refer you to @Beard's build if I may.

Anyway, there's not much to the cockpit in this kit, just a seat, stick, pedals and not even an instrument panel, but since the cockpit opening is tiny, I didn't bother adding any, I may squeeze in a pilot from the Revell set later. In the meantime, the office got a blast of Tamiya IJN cockpit green, a wash of Citadel Athonian Camoshade, and then I closed up the fuselage and added the main-planes. I think I'm going to need some filler before I go much further, plan for tomorrow is filler and tail surfaces.

aAc2a50.jpg

TTFN

• Like 2

This one is SDR.  Heller kit - same mould.

Heller_Tempest_S.jpg

Heller_Tempest_Tipper.jpg

Jet Age has an interest in 501, and I found a mag article about them. I'll PM some photos over later.

Titled "The Expendibles",  501 were to stop V1s at any cost.

This dio replicates a painting of one about to be tipped.

Various pictures of planes and pilots, one that particularly lives in my memory: an American pilot on exchange, rank Flight Officer, receiving a medal from the King.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

There is an instrument panel, it's underneath the propeller...

20180330_133510

Doh! That'll teach me for trying tandem builds. No matter, I don't think it'll be visible anyway, and not fitting it should make squeezing in a pilot easier. Or maybe I'll separate the fuselage halves and squeeze them both in tomorrow, I'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Funny, I was also briefly toying with the idea of building a Tempest from 501 Sqn as a local interest build in this GB. Mine would have been from the other side of things, though. Squadron Leader Joseph Berry, famous V-1 killer, was shot down just 5 kilometers from here in 1944, during a raid to Bad Zwischenhann in northwest Germany. It was a low level raid with 3 Tempests, and Berry's plane (ZJ600, SD-F) got hit by small calibre fire from the local German radar station just outside my town. He couldn't get to altitude to bail out and crashed into a field.

I couldn't find the Eduard kit, though, so maybe some other time. I'm looking forward to your build!