Iraq 'receives Russian fighter jets' to fight rebels

thomastmcc

.....or reflagged Iranian 25's? Anybody considered that the 'new' ones may be a cover and that in return for their help Iran may receive them as spares?

Or am I being conspiratorial?

Trevor

.....or reflagged Iranian 25's? Anybody considered that the 'new' ones may be a cover and that in return for their help Iran may receive them as spares?

Or am I being conspiratorial?

Trevor

Well Trevor, I've taken off my foil hat because it certainly looks like it now... Those old Bulgarian camouflaged Su-25's did look a bit too weary to be operational within the quoted 3 days but similar jets from somewhere else could be...!!! The Iranians are pretty good at engineering ways to keep their force flying with minimal/no 'external' input but spares are spares. Politically, this is looking quite interesting... (sorry, banned subject)

The images shown by Magman2 are without doubt Iranian aircraft, obviously with Iranian pilots, they have an almost unique camouflage scheme. Also, the 'tactical' paint retouches cover the Iranian roundels, flag and serial number on the tail, the number on the nose is not in Arabic and is the same 'font' as those used on other Iranian AF jets too. It's so obvious they may as well have not bothered but of course for politics...

A large scale, Revolutionary Guard assisted counter assault looks as clear as the Middle Eastern sky.

It's a mess alright... and well done for keeping away from anything too political so far. Can't end well for everyone, and a lot of innocent people are in danger :hmmm:

Article on BBC news website confirming same................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28125687

In the Video, you can see the Iranian flag under the Paint on the tail.

Untitled_zpsf434f7dc.jpg

Net Photo

Blimey! Can't understand the point of such a half hearted effort at concealing the aircraft's national identity, plus I thought that military aircraft had to display their national insignia by international law... Why not put Iraqi AF temporary markings on them?

All pics are of twin seater's for 'training purposes' no doubt, wonder when the rest of the single seater's are due in? Crazy situation for the everyday folks in the middle though...

Blimey! Can't understand the point of such a half hearted effort at concealing the aircraft's national identity, plus I thought that military aircraft had to display their national insignia by international law...

USAF did not on later SR-71s and still don't on U-2s

Edited by Jabba

Blimey! Can't understand the point of such a half hearted effort at concealing the aircraft's national identity, plus I thought that military aircraft had to display their national insignia by international law... Why not put Iraqi AF temporary markings on them?

All pics are of twin seater's for 'training purposes' no doubt, wonder when the rest of the single seater's are due in? Crazy situation for the everyday folks in the middle though...

The pics on the BBC site link I posted are all of single seaters!

The following was posted on acig.org forums:

Today the first Su-25 squadron of IrAF started its operations in Iraq.
Yesterday and today all seven operational Su-25s of IRGCASF including three Su-25UBKM and four Su-25KM landed in Baghdad and joined those all delivered Su-25s from Russia. Ten Iranian pilots together with four Iraqi pilots are now flying onboard these machines.
Identity of that first delivered ex-Russian AF Rook has already known and it was a former East German based Su-25 (899th Aviation Regiment Buturlinovka). Maintenance of these Iraqi Su-25s will be granted to the Russia and Pars Aviation MRO Center engineers.
One more Su-25K (15-2450) will join them after its overhaul and modernization at Pars Aviation MRO Center...
Three of seven operational Su-25s of IRGCASF arrived Baghdad in the evening of today. 15-2459 (Su-25UBK, which was delivered IRGCASF by Ulan-Udeh in January 2013), 15-2451 (Overhauled and modernized by Pars Aviation MRO Center in 2011) and 15-2456 (modernized and overhauled in 2012).
These airplanes piloted by two Iraqi and two Iranian pilots departed Mehrabad International Airport today morning. Their delivery in Baghdad has filmed and reported by local Iraqi medias today:

Babak Taghvaee - 2014/7/01

Thought you'd find it interesting.

Also note the irony of Iraq having to buy back its own single seat Su-25s, :rolleyes:

PS IRGCASF has more Su-25s (apparently three) currently under overhaul.

Whether these will go to Iraq is anyone's guess but it does seem likely.

• Like 1