P-47D

Right then...

I sat down last night at the kichten table and started onthe P-47D. The text on the box alludes to an RAF SEAC option to finish the model, but alas the only transfers are those for the finish on the box top. I must have made this in 1966 when it was first released. I should know that it's going to be in pale grey plastic but I'm always disappointment to find that an old kit is not molded in silver plastic (or whatever colour it was originally).

Anyway, I have a neat little card tray inside the packaging, six paints, glue and two very decent brushes (I'm a but surprised at how good they are)

Pictures to follow...

Al

Edited by Al Gunthwaite

The obligatory first photo...

This is what I'm doing:

Boxsetup.jpg

Engine assembled and painted - black with a bit og highlighting in silver:

Engine.jpg

Painting the pilot with the limited range of colours was interesting:

Pilotintheoffice.jpg

Basic airframe done - just waiting for it to set:

Tailplanesbeingstuckon.jpg

So, time for a haircut.

To be continued...

Al

The cat's been kicked out to give me some peace...

Kitchentable2.jpg

First coat of paint on upper surfaces:

Firstpaint.jpg

Undersides with first coat plus a very thin wash of black:

Firstpaintandwashonundersides.jpg

FirstPaintandwashonundersides2.jpg

The next question is at what point are the transfers applied (bearing in mind I have no white or blue paint to touch them up)?

More soon...

Nearly ready for transfers:

Readyfortransfers1.jpg

Readyfortransfers3.jpg

Although there could be a bit more weathering to do...

Nearlythere.jpg

I have to admit, I found my old stash of transfers out (which up to about 4 months ago had been lost for about 15 years following a house move), and had thoughts about repainting the kit and using the old Frog transfers to finish the Thunderbolt in SEAC colours (bearing in mind that the Airfix box refers to the P-47 in SEAC service):

Alternatives.jpg

On the basis of what the box has to say about it I think a SEAC finish must be the 'lost option' for this kit.

Al

Edited by Al Gunthwaite

Transfers on...

Transferson2.jpg

Transferson1.jpg

Transferson3.jpg

And on the ceiling...

Ontheceiling5.jpg

A few more photos are in the finished gallery.

My comments on the exercise:

It seems to me that starter kits are intended to provide all basic material to finish a model at a beginner level and to provide Airfix with a bit of extra life out of their back catalogue. Obviously the P-47D was first produced by Airfix in 1966 so it's a millemium away from current standards. The kit went together reasonably well although the use of filler would have improved the end result no end.

I got on reasonably well with the paints - but the acrylics supplied are not the sort where you can slap on a single coat and expect a decent result. I did four or five washes of thinned paint to build up an opaque finish. The brushes supplied were a revelation - I normally only use Windsor & Newton Series 7 sable brushes (which are £5-£10 a pop). The brushes supplied held their shape well, carried paint well and had no rogue hairs dropping out or going astray. The only suggestion I would make is that the instructions might include helpful hints on using the paints and the larger brush might be replaced with a flat brush.

The transfers did not like the acrylic paint finish. Adherance was poor and as a consequence the transfers did not settle well into the detail on the model.

Overall great fun - it just made me realise that the opportunities I have for modelling tend to be limited to half an hour here and another there.

Anyway, on with the proper stuff of getting some figures finished from which this has distracted me.

Al

I forgot one further point. The box makes reference to the use of the Thunderbolt by the RAF in SEAC. The starter set is one ogf the more expensive (with six pots of paint). But there's only one option for finishing the model. Given that Airfix under Hornby seem to be focusing on British subjects, I feel a bit short changed that first there was only one option to finish the kit and secondly there was not RAF option (that was alluded to on the box).

Al

That looks just great Al... makes me wish I'd chosen either armour or something WWII so I could at least have hidden my terrible painting with some grime. No such luck on a Hawk! :crying:

Final Pic...

Whaam2.jpg

It ought to have a Zero in a state of disintegration in the pic. I suppose I ought to build the Zero and 'fly' it out of the bedroom window to create realstic battle damage before it's photographed - but that's for another day.

Al

Nice work Al, caught the reference to transfers, of cause that's what decals were called when I was a kid

Yes ,I still think of them as transfers, I think "decals" is another of those nasty colonial terms we seem to have picked up.

Final Pic...

Whaam2.jpg

It ought to have a Zero in a state of disintegration in the pic. I suppose I ought to build the Zero and 'fly' it out of the bedroom window to create realstic battle damage before it's photographed - but that's for another day.

Al

How about building a zero to be the other plane in Whaam!, I'm building a P-47 too, maybe I'll do this!