Silver Wings Woodcock 1/48

Graham T

Ah "man flu", feeling like #### but at least I get a couple of days to make progress on this. I haven't made a biplane since I was building 1/72 Airfix kits as a kid, 40 odd years ago (the Tamiya Swordfish doesn't count on account of it's superb, near idiot proof engineering!) & as per the title, I think I may have done better with another subject/manufacturer than this. Don't missunderstand me, the kit is an absolute gem with beauitful, flash free resin main parts that exceed the quality/precision of some main stream injection moulded kits, along with a sheet of brass detail parts. Where the problems lie (for me at least) is in the quality of the instructions. There's rather more guesswork involved in identifying parts & where they go than a biplane newbie such as me is comfortable with, most notably concerning the undercarriage struts & the cabane & interplane structs that appear to be indentical to one another but which I suspect aren't & are going to cause me issues when I eventually get around to mounting the upper wing. I intend to paint the fuselage & lower wing, then attach the upper centre section with the cabane struts attached to it. There's no guidance reagrding the degree of stagger so I lined everything up by eye using CA glue & the box art for a guide which was quite fiddley to say the least. The struts feature wire inserts for added strength. Small location points for the struts are provided & I drilled them out to give a better anchor. Having done so the centre section now looks as though it's going to sit far too low over the front fuselage in front of the cockpit. To check this I attached the telescopic gun sight & sure enough it looks like I'm going to have a problem. I refilled th location holes in the fuselage with CA but it's too late to do the same with the ends into the centre section so it seems there's a fun time ahead! The undercarriage caused similar issues of alignmnent & location but I think I managed to nail it together & provide at least a reasonable facsimile of the real thing! As things stand I'm nearing the painting stage, having attached all the small detals such as the etched stitching strips, gun sight, etched step locations, tailplane & it's supprort struts along with the tail skid (THATS not going to last the build process!). I left the guns off for now as they'll cause handling problems down the line. Now I just have to guess the colours as there are ZERO colour call outs for any components. Regarding this matter, I painted the fuselage inside dark earth with a gloss varnish to represent wood & the typical Hawker tubular frame cockpit assembly black with steel seat etc., but rest assured that whatever colour you choose can't be seen when everythings closed up. The engine is a model in itself & impressive when assembled & will be left off until last knockings.

The apparent gap in the fuselage in front of the cockpit is filled with CA & polished.

So it's all a bit fraught but hopefully I'm not going to let it defeat me!

DSCN0648.jpg

DSCN0644.jpg

DSCN0647.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

Just removed the masking after having sprayed aluminum over the main airframe. I'd previously sprayed Humbrol 125 satin grey on the metal fuselage forward panels which has come out a litle darker than the tin lid suggested & probably too dark for the real thing. In the absence of colour call outs in the kit instructions or period colour shots, it'll have to do.

DSCN0674.jpg

Coming alive now Graham isn't it. Guess you could mist some lighter grey over the 125 if you wanted to, I wouldn't bother personally. 1) You might end up spoiling a nice finish so far, and 2) I think more of a contrast on a model can really make it ping when it's all done.

I wouldn't worry about the contrast between the doped silver and painted grey- Here's a Dankok:

http://www.airteamimages.com/116934.html

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image78612.html

Something similar appears to have been the case with the Woodcocks:

http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/hawker_woodcock.php

Will

Edited by Killingholme

• 2 weeks later...

Getting some rigging done! The port forward flying wires ought to be parallel to one another so I screwed that up, however they are so firmly attached with CA that I'm worried about pulling apart the whole wing assembly if I try to redo it. Guess I'll have to live with it, all in all I'm quite pleased so far with my first efforts. For the rigging wires, I'm using 20lb clear thread, that I'll paint silver once it's all installed. The engine is assembled & painted, along with the prop that I've painted using a dark brown gloss to try & replicate a dark mahogany effect.

DSCN0681.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg