Boeing 787 Corogard

Hi gang

I'm building the very nice Zvezda kit of the 787 and have reached the point where paint is required.

What I need to know is do the wings have the dark grey Corogard coating on the top?

I've had a look for some photos on the net but haven't been able to find a nice clear one

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Antony

might be as well to find as many pics as you can, airliner.net and others,

and one idea might be to paint them grey until you find out for sure -

at least it's neutral and it's easier to add something, like coro or a coat of white than it is to take it off if it's wrong.

EDIT

dont know if this will help or not but since you asked the question, I googled it just to see what I found and came up with this...

Boeing787_1.jpg

Hard to tell from pics I know, and I could see Boeing using house colours on thier own livery but it doesnt look white to me, especially knowing how light boeing grey is....I can also see Lufthansa painting the upper wings white but what about American Airlines?

Hell would freeze over before they had white wings :)

Interesting question though.....I'll go look some more and it will be interesting to see what others think.

Edited by kev1n

this is going to be a fascinating discussion......

I'm looking at the pics as directed PTTAA, and I'm not certain that stating they wings are "ALL WHITE" come what may is right - I agree totally that they are very light....but are they a shade of white or a shade of light grey?

Difficult to tell in the pics I've looked at so far.

I'll keep looking :)

btw I'm not trying to be provocative here, niether am I trying to be disagreeable, but someday I'll want to builod 787 models so I'm as eager as anybody to get the colours right :)

some more on this -

certainly ANA and Air India seem to be having white wings on thier aircraft....

Boeing787_7_ANA5.jpg

Boeing787_6_ANA4.jpg

Boeing787_5_ANA3.jpg

Boeing787_8_AirIndia1.jpg

the ANA special scheme is quite attractive....wondor if somebody will do a decal for that.....

it will be interesting to see what American Airlines do with thiers....

:)

oh yeah Antony - what airline colours are you planning on doing yours in?

I'm always relaxed :)

I understand the point your making btw altho' I'm still curious as to what AA will do....

granted this is a pr pic and not a real one....

Boeing787_9_AmericanAL1.jpg

Can you polish the fuselage of the 787???

I seem to remember reading that AA had a similar issue with the A300 when they first had them, they were painted grey before a solution was found

and they were able to have the usual polished bare metal mirror-like fuselage.

Can you polish the fuselage of the 787???

I seem to remember reading that AA had a similar issue with the A300 when they first had them, they were painted grey before a solution was found

and they were able to have the usual polished bare metal mirror-like fuselage.

:footy:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/3067880/

yeah seen that...doesnt really answer the question tho :)

We have to wait until the first one pop up in KPAE Kevin, anything before that is pure especulation!!!

Edited by PTTAA

Don't forget the 787 is made from Carbon Fibre - if you polish it, all you'll get is a shiny brown-black colour :lol: ! I'm guessing that American Airlines will either have a silver mica based finish like the last Northwest Airlines livery or possibly try a chrome paint similar to that seen on the McLaren F1 cars. IIRC the grey on their A300-600s was because Airbus could/would not strip the primer finish off the fuselage sections after they were assembled. The initial primer treatment is designed to etch itself into the metal to create a highly corrosion resistant layer and is extremely difficult to remove, as anyone who has tried to strip the paint back to completely bare metal will know. I'm glad AA found a way to do it as the original grey scheme looked terrible.

The corrogard finish is designed to do what the name suggests - protect the wing skins from corrosion, especially the top panels. Since there is no aluminium in the 787 wing box it won't corrode :smartass: . Most customers will either choose white or, if Boeing allows it, a light grey to prevent excessive heat absorption into the wing structure. White wings have become popular on conventional wings for this reason - especially now a white version of corrogard is available.

The corrogard finish is designed to do what the name suggests - protect the wing skins from corrosion, especially the top panels. Since there is no aluminium in the 787 wing box it won't corrode :smartass: . Most customers will either choose white or, if Boeing allows it, a light grey to prevent excessive heat absorption into the wing structure. White wings have become popular on conventional wings for this reason - especially now a white version of corrogard is available.

05cbe1e3.jpg

one of the american airlines polished their BAe146s and reduced their fatige life.

back on topic, all the 787s to yet are white wings, but if a customer wants or repaints during the aircrafts life it could be re-done grey, but with out corogard.

Am I right in saying alot of new airliners dont have corogard already?

one of the american airlines polished their BAe146s and reduced their fatige life.

back on topic, all the 787s to yet are white wings, but if a customer wants or repaints during the aircrafts life it could be re-done grey, but with out corogard.

Am I right in saying alot of new airliners dont have corogard already?

Rich

They still have CORROguard since the wings still be made from metal and still be exposure to Corrosion. Whats happening is instead have the dark gray metallic we normally see on the pass, the new formulas available on the actual grey can be applied.

"On Boeings at least, the wings are painted with a coating that has the colloquial name of "corro-guard". IIRC, it is painted on top of a layer of green primer, and as the name suggests, it has been specifically formulated to prevent corrosion, thus, you get this coating on the wings as a standard fitment from Boeing.

The silver-grey colour is just the natural colour of the coating. "Corro-guard" has quite a matt finish, with a slightly uneven surface.

This coating contained aluminium flakes in it. I suspect that Corro-guard could be similar, as it does sometimes leave a graphite type residue of you fingers if you brush a section that has recently being abraded away.

Regards, JetMech "

Edited by PTTAA

the wings still be made form metal

PTTAA, I didn't know the wings were made of metal, I was under the impression it was carbon fiber reinforced plastics like the fuselage.

Cheers, Steven

Nah, the small font is still the best :P

Steven my friend,

my mistake, i was talking about the aircraft's before 787 (whe know the 787's are inject by revell and send to boeing :lol: ), and i believed this applied to the 747-8's as well. ^_^

I remember my times at TRANSBRASIL (just 12 years) and thats was a BIG deal when we got the 767's. Everybody was bet the will have the grey wings (as was with the -300's) when we order the -200. But they still come in colors (paint on top the corroguard) and look's fabulous!

Andre :beer:

Edited by PTTAA

Steven my friend,

my mistake, i was talking about the aircraft's before 787 (whe know the 787's are inject by revell and send to boeing :lol: ), and i believed this applied to the 747-8's as well. ^_^

I remember my times at TRANSBRASIL (just 12 years) and thats was a BIG deal when we got the 767's. Everybody was bet the will have the grey wings (as was with the -300's) when we order the -200. But they still come in colors (paint on top the corroguard) and look's fabulous!

Andre :beer:

Andre, I may have not understood your message I was referring to.

Yes I remember Transbrasil's livery with those amazing wings. Too sad the fuselages were so bland but... those wings !!! Would make a very nice model, I think I have a 1:144 Liveries Unlimited sheet for the 767s. And the livery before this one was quite striking too !

Regards, Steven