F-104G nose cone colour

Starfighter

I wonder if anybody here on the forum can help me out with a small question? I'm in the process of building a 1/32 scale F-104G in the markings of JaboG 31 "Boelcke" during the seventies.My problem is this: What should be the proper colour for the nose cone?

Some references suggest FS 16473 (ADC gray) but I've tried an initial coat of this, and it appears too dark when compared to photos of F-104's, of which I have many.

I know it's notoriously difficult using photos as a guide, but if my memory serves me correctly they were a pale bluish grey, and I wondered if anyone might have more information than I have which would be of help to me?

Hi There Starfighter

I am sure the WGAF F-104s had the same colour radome as the RnethAF machines which was FS16622 .

But as i found on the Daco sheet for the F-104, Daco do a paint for the early versions 1970s radome known as fibre glass green No15.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Craig

Thanks for your help, guys. I did look at the Daco site , but it appears that the colour in question is out of stock. I suspect that FS 16473 is not the right colour, so I'll experiment with mixes until I think that it' looks "Right" to me!

Once again, thanks for your help, :cheers:

Hi All,

according to the technical manuals I own and some original color chips taken during painting of the real aircraft, the nose colour is FS 16473. This colour is prone to fade quickly to any shade from the original one to off white. The choice is yours but keep an eye to pics of the plane you want to reproduce.

Greetings from Italy.

Duck egg blue Hum23 lightened with FS36622 shouldn't be far off. Or better still if you can get your hands on Humbrol 97 Eggshell which has been discontinued.

Bingo! I've just found an unopened tin of Humbrol 97 in my"Stash" so I'll give it a go . . .many thanks for that! :cheers:

I know it's notoriously difficult using photos as a guide, but if my memory serves me correctly they were a pale bluish grey, and I wondered if anyone might have more information than I have which would be of help to me?

The F-104 Structural Repair Manual, page 1-199, says the glassfibre radome should be painted 16473 and 34079. They are definitely not bare fibreglass.

Years ago I checked the radome of Dutch 104 D-8114 (before I knew the above), and noted 16473. I do not recall ever seeing faded radomes on Dutch 104 in the eighties.

16622 is noted on Modeldecal sheet 43, covering Dutch 104s, but I doubt whether that's correct, despite the excellent research of Modeldecal sheets.

I asked Danny Coremans about the 104 radome paint he made, since I *never* saw a greenish 104 radome. He told that this paint was not accurately matched. I would completely forget about it.

All of the above applies to Dutch 104s, but I would expect the German 104s to be identical.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

The F-104 Structural Repair Manual, page 1-199, says the glassfibre radome should be painted 16473 and 34079. They are definitely not bare fibreglass.

Years ago I checked the radome of Dutch 104 D-8114 (before I knew the above), and noted 16473. I do not recall ever seeing faded radomes on Dutch 104 in the eighties.

16622 is noted on Modeldecal sheet 43, covering Dutch 104s, but I doubt whether that's correct, despite the excellent research of Modeldecal sheets.

I asked Danny Coremans about the 104 radome paint he made, since I *never* saw a greenish 104 radome. He told that this paint was not accurately matched. I would completely forget about it.

All of the above applies to Dutch 104s, but I would expect the German 104s to be identical.

Rob

That's very interesting, Rob. . .Perhaps if I use 16473 but lighten it up a bit (For scale effect) that should be about right? I have the FS 595A fan deck, and I know that colour chips can appear a lot darker than on a full size airplane, so I'll experiment a bit and see how that turns out. :cheers: