Airfix 1/72 Short Stirling BIII

Really nice model. Well done.

I was given one a few years ago. How does it go together,

Thanks.

Thank you.. I had no problem getting it together.. As expected you will need some filler in places, but the kit is from 1966 so no surprises there! Other than that it was a very enjoyable build..

The decals are ok as well, with a bit of careful handling.. they carry excess decal film, but that can be removed.. :)

Having the undercarriage collapse is taking realism too far!

Was the reason for the 99ft wingspan to do with hanger width? I thought it was to do with limiting the overall size and weight of the plane due to pre-war civilian concerns about increasing noise levels of ever bigger RAF aircraft?

Great model by the way! I have two hidden away to build at some point in the future.

I always thought it was to do with the hanger size.. but it's always interesting to find out otherwise! Glad you liked the model, you won't regret building yours, when you get round to it.. :)

yes it was to do with hangar width, the wingspan was made to fit existing hangar doors, instead of the other way round, just think what the Stirling could have acheived if it had the right wingspan, awesome beast, I have always loved the Stirling!

Well, it sure would have done better, with bigger wings.. but I guess to a degree the other bombers would have taken over gradually anyway, especially the Lanc with its adaptable bomb bay..

But the Stirling sure deserve credit for what it did do..

BM, thats a nice build, very well executed. Its 40 yrs since I built one, last seen crashing in flames into the back yard after a run in with a schragemusik equiped cleaning lady. Seemed like a trip to Valhalla was the only thing left, pity it was pre handycam. Your build has certainly brought back memories of the satisfaction I got from it & prompts thoughts of the one in my stash. Its destined for 75 NZ squadron colours but I think another in Mk V trim in late/post war transport command scheme would look kind of cool too.

Steve.

Great idea!! :) You can get a resin conversion set, I believe?? :)

That's a very respectable build, more so considering it is brush painted. Good job indeed of an underated type. :goodjob:

Thank you.. I am seriously tempted to build another one, maybe as the captured one that the Germans tried out... :)