Airfix 1/72 Short Stirling BIII

Brushpainted.. Straight out the box, the decals were the glossy type, workable, but not brilliant.. :confused:

Some of the little windows had a very poor fit, and had to be replaced with 'Clearfix'..

s1050195.jpg

s1050202.jpg

s1050201.jpg

s1050203.jpg

s1050197.jpg

s1050192.jpg

s1050193.jpg

s1050206.jpg

s1050192.jpg

Edited by BasicModelling

Now that is something we don't see on here too often! Lovely job and there's something more 'purposeful' about the Stirling than the Lancaster or Halifax.

Very nice and a great job of brush painting - there certainly is something agressive about the front end of the Sterling. Like to see a new tooling of this - with the short wingspan might just fit on my shelf!

Pat

You made a decent fist of an old kit there. It's a shame the Air Ministry insisted on clipping its wings to 100ft so it'd fit in the existing hangars. That's what caused the engineers to have to add the double stack on the landing gear to increase the wing's angle of incidence on take off, which in turn made the gear into a weak spot, and with the lack of wing area, it really struggled to get to a decent height when it was laden with bombs. That made it easy meat for the German fighters, and even if you survived the mission, you had a good chance the landing gear would collapse :S

You made a decent fist of an old kit there. It's a shame the Air Ministry insisted on clipping its wings to 100ft so it'd fit in the existing hangars. That's what caused the engineers to have to add the double stack on the landing gear to increase the wing's angle of incidence on take off, which in turn made the gear into a weak spot, and with the lack of wing area, it really struggled to get to a decent height when it was laden with bombs. That made it easy meat for the German fighters, and even if you survived the mission, you had a good chance the landing gear would collapse :S

Wonder why they didn't think to have hinged outer wings so it could have a desired wingspan ?

Ohhhh bloody gorgeous. Made this old girl in 1974/3 or so. Always a favourite and so nice to see one so well put together and finished. Well done sir. Now fired up to do at least one of the re-released Battle and Hampden! Now all I need for the full nostalgia-fest is Needlers' fruit pastilles, Findus cod in butter sauce and Rossi Bros' Ice cream in Barkingside (2 doors down from Marments. Anyone remember?) Lovely build, thanks.

That's an excellent looking model, superbly finished if I may say so. I agree that the Stirling is a much neglected subject in kit form, I really don't understand why since it was the first of the Heavies. I'd like to see one in 1/48th scale, guess I'll just have to tackle the Sanger one once my Oxford is finished! There is a Stirling forum (though not exclusively so) at http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/index.php which includes a modelling section for any enthusiasts.

Max

Very good - also nice to see another brush painter rather than an airbrusher. A couple of questions - did you paint the frames on the transparencies or are they painted strips of Sellotape (that's what I use), and have you had a go at the tractor and bomb trollies? I remember they were a real plus for small boys when the kit was first released!

They say nostalgia ain't what it used to be. Well that's true in this case, not a single sticky fingermark, blobbed on paintmark or drooping wing in sight Not the way I remember mine at all, a lovely job and I would not have guessed it was brush painted.

Very good - also nice to see another brush painter rather than an airbrusher. A couple of questions - did you paint the frames on the transparencies or are they painted strips of Sellotape (that's what I use), and have you had a go at the tractor and bomb trollies? I remember they were a real plus for small boys when the kit was first released!

Thank you... :) And in answer to your questions, I did paint the main canopy, but used Xtradecals decals strips (black) for the gun turrets and the clear part underneath.. it seemed to work ok in this case, I could never have painted it as straight and / or thin..

s1050208.jpg

Never heard of painted strips of cellotape, but I will give it a go on the Halifax kit I think, as I'm always willing to try new (and good) ideas.. The tractor is carefully bagged, together with the instructions and put aside for a future build, maybe for a smaller diorama with a Mossie or something.. I'm surprised Airfix hasn't released the tractor as a separate kit, I think there would be a good market for it as a stand alone model.. :)

Edited by BasicModelling