Airfix 1/72 Short Stirling BIII

Good stuff! You've made a rather ungainly aircraft look very smart - saw your sanding filler video on youtube earlier and knew it was a Stirling you were fiddling with!

Thank you!! :D I posted the building video of the Stirling today, a fairly straight forward build.. :)

You made a decent fist of an old kit there. It's a shame the Air Ministry insisted on clipping its wings to 100ft so it'd fit in the existing hangars. That's what caused the engineers to have to add the double stack on the landing gear to increase the wing's angle of incidence on take off, which in turn made the gear into a weak spot, and with the lack of wing area, it really struggled to get to a decent height when it was laden with bombs. That made it easy meat for the German fighters, and even if you survived the mission, you had a good chance the landing gear would collapse :S

Yes, I don't envy the pilots who had to fly it.. Thanks.. :)

I still think this hangar door size limit is a myth! Wikipedia (which I know is not always reliable) says;

"It is often said that the wingspan was limited to 100 ft (30 m) so the aircraft would fit into existing hangars,[3] "The wing span was limited by the Air Ministry to 100 ft"[4][5] but the maximum hangar opening was 112 ft (34 m), and specification required outdoor servicing. The wingspan limit was imposed in an (unsuccessful) attempt to ensure the Stirling's weight was kept down.[1]"

This also matches with the Stirling Story by Michael Bowyer who says it was to with limiting weight rather than hangar dimensions.

that may well be the case, but they still destroyed the planes capabilities all for the sake of a few feet, oh what could have been!

Great choice... :) Will it be this kit or a 1/48 scale model?? :)

It's going to be this kit (Airfix). Don't think I'm up to the 1/48 vacform one yet. I also found the original one I (well, my Dad) built back in er, probably the very late Sixties up in the loft. It might get a bit of a restoration, along with the Frog Martin Baltimore, at some point. Ah, memories.

Brushpainted.. Straight out the box, the decals were the glossy type, workable, but not brilliant.. :confused:

Some of the little windows had a very poor fit, and had to be replaced with 'Clearfix'..

A nice job. I quite like it. The Airfix kit is quite good, as well as being unique.

I am inspired to pull mine out and try to summon enough enthusiasm to work on it. It was built for a relative to commemorate the one his father served in. No photo but a serial and code and a written description so I think it's a good resemblance.

A reasonable amount of detailing and a lot of work went into it.

Unfortunately after the ravages of the relative's small children it sits, dusty and broken, waiting for another infusion of TLC which I can't quite muster - maybe later this year.

P1020370.jpg

Edited by Ed Russell

Ohhhh bloody gorgeous. Made this old girl in 1974/3 or so. Always a favourite and so nice to see one so well put together and finished. Well done sir. Now fired up to do at least one of the re-released Battle and Hampden! Now all I need for the full nostalgia-fest is Needlers' fruit pastilles, Findus cod in butter sauce and Rossi Bros' Ice cream in Barkingside (2 doors down from Marments. Anyone remember?) Lovely build, thanks.

Thank you.. Glad you liked it!! These old Airfix kits are really full of nostalgia, aren't they... :) :)

That's an excellent looking model, superbly finished if I may say so. I agree that the Stirling is a much neglected subject in kit form, I really don't understand why since it was the first of the Heavies. I'd like to see one in 1/48th scale, guess I'll just have to tackle the Sanger one once my Oxford is finished! There is a Stirling forum (though not exclusively so) at http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/index.php which includes a modelling section for any enthusiasts.

Max

Thank you.. :) And thanks for the info about the forum, I will check it out.. :)

They say nostalgia ain't what it used to be. Well that's true in this case, not a single sticky fingermark, blobbed on paintmark or drooping wing in sight Not the way I remember mine at all, a lovely job and I would not have guessed it was brush painted.

Thank you... I have had a fair share of blobs and fingerprints.. but that's what wet'n'dry was made for.. :) And turps...

Thats a good looking Stirling, youve done an old kit proud.

One of my favourite aircraft models ...so ugly and beautiful at the same time ...very well finished model and good to see brush painting done well, encouraging people to have a go and showing that you do not have to have an air brush to produce a quality result .

Strangely the 3rd Stirling I have seen in a couple of days,having been down at Hornby yesterday,there is one in the Airfix display in the trade showroom and one in a very well done diorama in the Hornby Visitor Centre,complete with the tractor and bomb trolley..

Regards Trevor .... :D

A bit like the London buses then... none, none.. none...

..and then 3 in a row!! Glad you liked it.. :) Thanks..

I remember building one of these as a kid, I think the under carriage lasted for about a week before I broke it! Nice build of a classic.

Thank you... :0 Mine has already lost a propeller, but it will get stuck back on.. and that was just it sitting on the table.. :)

This is a lovely build, i have one in the stash to do and am pleased to see that the rivets look good too.

Thanks for sharing

All the best

Chris

Thank you.. :) For such an old kit there's not much wrong with it really, in my opinion.. Just wish the cockpit had a bit more detail... :)