Airfix 1/24 Mosquito

Hi guys and gals,

Been away for a while, but now I'm back after a period of renewed lurking. :coolio:

Just finished the big Mossie and thought you would like to take a little gander. Prime reference for this was Dave Brown's excellent Mosquito VI book from SAM Publications.

Here's one of the engines:

24.jpg

25.jpg

And the cockpit:

23.jpg

22.jpg

21.jpg

It's a review kit, so I didn't add belts until after these photos were taken, and forgot to take more photos once I closed it in......

Weapons bay:

mossie24-4-03.jpg

Machine gun bay, using the excellent Master Models Browning MG barrels:

mossie24-4-01.jpg

mossie24-4-02.jpg

And the completed wee beastie:

mossie24-4-04.jpg

Mossie-done05.jpg

All in all, I was pleased with the build, but it is VERY large and the number of times I banged something in swinging it around the spray booth and modelling desk....

And the undercarriage is a bit fragile to sheering; I'd recommend the Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal set.....

Edited by Paul Bradley

Cheers, guys.

Seat leather - yes, a bit bright perhaps. Dave's book mentions the seat leather being green - I imagined that awful Institutional Green leather you saw on buses, doctor's waiting rooms and government buildings everywhere in days of yore......remember that from your childhood?

Anyways, I cannot believe that they sourced their leather from just one place, so why not?

Edited by Paul Bradley

Cheers, Terry! Yes, I will be adding the rockets and tanks at some later point - I really needed to get the review done and wasn't the slightest bit happy with either as they are presented in the kit. So I'm hoping for someone to do AM bits, or I'll end up scratchbuilding my own....

The decals were brilliant - easy to use and not a hint of silvering! Many thanks for supplying the review sample - I appreciate it!

I took her down to Modelzona yesterday and got many favourable comments on the model and the paint shceme, so hopefully this won't be the last one you'll see in these colours and markings!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the port undercarriage sheered off again on the trip home.......repairs completed, but I'd really recommend the SAC U/C........

Edited by Paul Bradley