Another Hunter FGA9 question

tompot

During my researches into the Hunter FGA9 I have come across some photos which show the nosewheel leg coloured gold. See here. Does anyone know anything about this?

It could be the yellow primer, similar to that on Jaguars. When I photographed Duxford's Javelin, back in the 70s, it had one yellow, one green, and one red u/c leg. The yellow leg wasn't a bright colour, so, in bright sunlight, it could have looked like gold.

Edgar

it had one yellow, one green, and one red u/c leg.

Edgar

:innocent:

I seem to remember a rather saucy song along those lines whilst in the RAF :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jeff

During my researches into the Hunter FGA9 I have come across some photos which show the nosewheel leg coloured gold. See here. Does anyone know anything about this?

Many thanks Tompot for the head-up to that site. :thumbsup2:

Jeff

Sorry, folks, clean forgot this, and it might have a bearing. If you wipe gold foil, with white spirit, you'll often find that it's, quite simply, silver foil, which has been overpainted with a thin coat of yellow. I discovered this, after foiling a surface, then cleaning it, and my gold turned to silver. Yellow primer doesn't have much body, like all yellow paints.

Edgar

Look carefully-it's probably been retouched, something odd about the coluration of the ground starter unit behind...........

I don't think so, there are several other photos on the site showing the same thing.

I wonder if it was some sort of protective coating - WD40 style

I think you were closest, Dave. Here is the answer I got from someone who was there:-

With regards to gold painted legs and oleos, as far as I can recall, and I stand to be corrected, they were not actually painted gold but the preservative coating that was applied by the manufacturer (Dowty?) tended to turn a golden colour after a longish period in storage. This was also the case for the insides of undercarriage doors.

It seems some Lightnings also had gold undercarriage units ....there's a great picture of XN793/"A" King Cobra of 92 Sqn in Dick Ward's "Lightning squadrons of the RAF" (pp 56-7), with the caption...."The photograph illustrates the new gold finish to the undercarriage legs and doors"......Theres also a picture on the previous page of T4 XM995/"T" also of 92 Sqn..."the insides if the main undercarriage doors and top of the nosewheel leg have been given a gold-coloured protective finish".

Its only apparent on these two aircraft and both are painted in the later scheme of Dark Green over natural metal........the gold finish is very pale - very similar to those shown on the Hunters (and what a great site that is- particularly with the 8 Sqn FGA9's being armed with RP's.......)

(AND a camouflaged Meteor FR9 ....Dave!)