LVG lozenge Fabric Application

fredsopwith

Hi all. Bit of a chesnut this one, but how was the lozenge fabric applied to LVG's?

I am just about to start appyling it to my WNW effort so I am keen to get it right.

Was the fabric applied so that it aligned with the adjacent strip, so that the patten repeated itself evenly, or was it applied "as it came" making the join lines break the pattern ?

Cheers John.

looking through some old refs i found this , a drawing based on the shuttleworth restoration - img042.jpg

the pattern was not 'aligned' ( * it would waste material ) all the best , Blimp .

[/left]

lvgupperlozenge-1.jpg

- p.s. heres a picture of the real thing . note the join at the base of the struts - seams were not permitted on the ribs.
Edited by blimp

Hi all. Bit of a chesnut this one, but how was the lozenge fabric applied to LVG's?

I am just about to start appyling it to my WNW effort so I am keen to get it right.

Was the fabric applied so that it aligned with the adjacent strip, so that the patten repeated itself evenly, or was it applied "as it came" making the join lines break the pattern ?

Cheers John.

Hi John,

When I built my LVG last year, I researched the lozenge application rather extensively. What I discovered is that there are a couple ways it can be done. One way would have you applying the lozenge strips with the pattern going in the same direction for each piece. The other is to have every other panel alternate direction. The latter would occur as the person covering the wing would roll out one section, flip the roll, and roll it back the other way. I studied a number of photos, including models by builders with FAR more knowledge of WWI aircraft than me and saw both ways. I decided to go with the alternating directions on mine. Whatever you decide, you won't be wrong. :D

Just be sure to measure VERY carefully as there is not a lot of extra decal material. I hope these pics of mine will be of help.

LVG_TailLozenge_3.jpg

LVG_TailLozenge_4.jpg

LVG_103109003.jpg

LVG_103109004.jpg

LVG_103109001.jpg

LVG_103109002.jpg

LVG_Complete005.jpg

LVG_010710003.jpg

Cheers,

Eric

Your lozenge application looks great....I've only applied such a decal once on a egg Ni-11 of the Vulgarian airforce....the sourced decal came from a 1/48 Roden DVII...

P6290002ni11preriggedpic2.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Cheers John.

Other answers before mine are pretty much correct.

One extra point. The join between fabric strips is *never* on a rib, and so will not be hidden by a rib tape. This is because the joins between fabric strips are the weakest points and the greatest stress on the fabric is at the ribs - not a good idea for them to coincide.

Shane

Really..? That's good to know when I go for the next lozenge application...... thanks for the info.

Cheers,

ggc

Hi John,

When I built my LVG last year, I researched the lozenge application rather extensively. What I discovered is that there are a couple ways it can be done. One way would have you applying the lozenge strips with the pattern going in the same direction for each piece. The other is to have every other panel alternate direction. The latter would occur as the person covering the wing would roll out one section, flip the roll, and roll it back the other way. I studied a number of photos, including models by builders with FAR more knowledge of WWI aircraft than me and saw both ways. I decided to go with the alternating directions on mine. Whatever you decide, you won't be wrong. :D

Just be sure to measure VERY carefully as there is not a lot of extra decal material. I hope these pics of mine will be of help.

LVG_TailLozenge_3.jpg

LVG_TailLozenge_4.jpg

LVG_103109003.jpg

LVG_103109004.jpg

LVG_103109001.jpg

LVG_103109002.jpg

LVG_Complete005.jpg

LVG_010710003.jpg

Cheers,

Eric

All

Many thanks again for the generous feedback

Eric. I notice in the excellent completed LVG (I presume ) of yours, that there is renforcing lozenge strip around the edges of the flying surfaces.

Is there enough decal supplied in the kit to apply this ? I realise that this may not be a standard procces for applying to all examples.

John.

All

Eric. I notice in the excellent completed LVG (I presume ) of yours, that there is renforcing lozenge strip around the edges of the flying surfaces.

Is there enough decal supplied in the kit to apply this ? I realise that this may not be a standard procces for applying to all examples.

John.

I'm not Eric, but I'd like to point out that there are photos showing the LVG C.VI with light coloured edge tapes on both the leading and trailing edges, or just the leading edge, with the trailing edge in loz. Or the reverse! It's rare to see a photo of the same aircraft from both front and rear, so getting a sense of whether this happened in any pattern is next to impossible. The best you can do is match the photos of the aircraft being replicated, and make an educated guess about the remainder.

Shane

• 2 weeks later...
All

John.

Hi John,

I am so sorry that it has taken me this long to reply. I pop in and out of so many modeling forums that I tend to forget what I've posted where! Thank you for your kind words and to answer your question, no, there really isn't enough decal material with the kit to do the edge tapes. That's why you don't see them on a lot of the builds posted around. Not sure why Wingnut didn't provide enough but I was able to obtain an extra sheet of the upper lozenge decals, which is what the edge tapes are made from. One possible explanation as to why Wingnut didn't bother with them is that applying them is EXTREMELY tedious and requires a lot of careful measuring, trimming, and fiddling. Especially around the rounded wing and tail tips. They may have figured that the average person would not want to be bothered. Just my opinion though. Careful study of LVG photos clearly show the tapes.

Cheers,

Eric