Uniden 3500XLT - HELP!

CockneyCol

Hi Folks,

Just brought a Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT ahead of Farnborough next weekend, however being a dunce I can't make head nor tail for the destructions....

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Col'

Sit down with it in a quiet environment.

Have to hand a list of the frequencies you want to put in.

The basic structure is analogous with a Windows file directory.

A "System" is a global heading for a collection of frequencie - e.g in mine I have one called "Europe."

Within the "System" is a collection of "Groups" - so within my "Europe" system I have Groups for a selection of airbases within continentla Europe e.g Spangdahleml Wittmund etc. I have a Uk "System" called "RAF Airband"

Within each "Group" are your individual frequencies - e.f Tower; Departures; Approach; Talkdown etc etc.

You can use the "lockout" feature to exclude individual frequencies from being scanned within the Group; or preventing Groups from being scanned within the System. Thus if I sit at Wittmund I can lockout all the other Groups so the radio does not waste time scanning frequencies which are of no interest at that geographic location.

You can get some Windows based software to create your frequencies environment on a PC and then d/l it to the radio; but you need a special USB lead. The softawre is published by Butel and available for on-line purchase and download.

PM me if you want any more information / help.

One piece of other advice. Be very, very careful if you use a multi-voltage adapater to power the radio. I used an in-car adapter and mistakenly pumped 12v into mine. It cooked the loudspeaker so I can now only use it with an earpiece. The supplied batteries are a bit naff and will run out in about 3 hours. I replaced mine with "Enneloop" batteries from the local Radio control model shop which last much longer - BUT they must have a long trickle charge before first use to condition them properly.

Hi

I've got one of these, and although I understood the basics (system, groups, etc) I found programming it a little . . . not so much confusing as awkward. As SPerx says, you can get software to program it via a PC. I downloaded bcTool - it's free and has made setting up groups etc SO much easier!

As is also mentioned, you do need a cable. I ordered mine from Nevada Radio (local to me) listed quite clearly as 'Uniden 3500XLT to Serial'. It was only when I went to plug it in I realised that not only does my laptop not have a serial port, but neither does my PC! I really should have know, I built it so should've known what the spec was but hey - who uses serial ports nowadays! :confused: So then I had to get a serial to USB adaptor. At least the cable's nice and long now, LOL!

I have to say it made RIAT, for me, even better. Being privvy to what was going on (OK, along with hundreds, maybe thousands, of others!) was strangely exciting. Sadly, I found even listing to ground giving clearance to Follow Me vehicles to cross the runway interesting :fraidnot: It was also intersting that the tower made a few broadcasts for those with scanners - one today was to let us know a C-27 was expected!

Jimbo

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it, i've managed to get a few freq's uploaded for Farnborough so am looking forward to nosing at whats going on.

(Mish, if you are going to the York model show bring your's and I'll pass on the basic knowledge I have, cheaper than buying a new one)

Cheers

Col'

Yeah will be at the show Col.

As a result of this thread I've had an offer for the beast, which I'm still making my mind up about.

This evening I have tried programming it again and got in a right mess. So I've reset it.

Out of all the scanners I have owned over the years this has to be the most frustrating and least intuitive to use. Or is it I'm getting old :shrug:

If anyone has any recommendations I would be pleased to hear them. At the moment I'm looking at ta couple of Alincos.

Well I love mine! Once you get your head around the Systems, Groups etc as outlined by the poster above it's easy to set up. The 3500 plus BcTool combination is excellent though obviously you'll need the cable to communicate with your pc.

An easier to use instruction guide is here http://marksscanners.com/3500/3500.shtml

Mish and Cockney Col, if you want I can send you a file with my frequencies so you can import it directly into your 3500 (cable necessary!), please PM me.

Mish what antenna/aerial are you using? I'm using a home brew dipole in the loft and pick up Mildenhall ground on most days.

Andy

Andy, I can understand the systems and groups, it's the programming of the damn things I can't get my head around. I'm afraid the software programming is not an option for me as I use Macs here and also no serial ports. I'll give it another go at Lakenheath on Friday.

As for antennas all I have is a magmount 1/4 wave that I use on the car. From here I can just about pick up Cambridge Airport.

I can't get that link to load at the moment :(

Oh dear. OK Mish, time to get nasty with it :) To get you going do the following.

Turn it on and wait for it to start scanning, press Hold and enter 309.200 on the keypad. When it asks you to quick save it press yes. Press scan to start it scanning again.

Same again but enter 370.250

Same again but enter 308.850

Same again but enter 313.550

" " 277.775

These frequencies should hopefully be active tonight (in fact QUID 99 just popped up on 309.200 as I write). One of the guys at LN should be able to show you.

Andy

Hi

I have to say it made RIAT, for me, even better. Being privvy to what was going on (OK, along with hundreds, maybe thousands, of others!) was strangely exciting. Sadly, I found even listing to ground giving clearance to Follow Me vehicles to cross the runway interesting :fraidnot: It was also intersting that the tower made a few broadcasts for those with scanners - one today was to let us know a C-27 was expected!

Jimbo

A scanner can real make an airshow much more intresting.

Did anyone hear the F-15 with the problem on the Thursday afternoon at Fairford,it was a great time to have a scanner on!

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Okay, I think I've sussed it :yahoo: Thanks guys reading through the simple on-line manual I've finally got my head around it I think. Even though I thought I understood the dynamic memory, I didn't fully understand it. I have now managed to set up a couple of Systems,one with two Groups and then several frequencies in the group. I'll give it another go tomorrow and then see how it performs at Lakenheath.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Excellent!

As an example of Systems and Groups, here's a screen shot of my BcTool. It's more the structure I wanted to share not so much the BCTool screen so note how I've set the 3500 up. Hopefully it will go some way to completing the puzzle.

On the left you can see I've three Systems, Civil, MilAir and MilAir 2.

MilAir has those Groups which I'd expect to hear daily. MilAir2 would have Groups like RAF Leeming, Valley or Yeovilton where I cannot pick up ground call signs due to distance.

The MilAir system has 19 Groups which are airfields or ATC centres in my set up. In the Group 'Wyton' there are 7 frequencies

BC1.jpg

If we open the Wyton folder you can see the details of the seven frequencies - TWR = Tower, GRND = Ground, APPR = Approach etc etc. The text where it says TWR 119.75 is called the Alpha Tag and that's the text that will appear on your scanner when you get a 'hit'.

BC2.jpg

We need to get you a dipole in the loft next :)