WE.177 Nuke reference

Smirtec

Hi to all.

Is there some good soul out there who has some good detail info about this bomb that would be helpfull in building one in scale? Need to 'decorate' my 1/48 FGR.2 that is currently spread all over my work table...

:nuke:

Best regards, Martin

Edited by Smirtec

I think they have one on display at Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm museum, next to the buccaneer on the flight deck.

I'm sure I've got a pic somewhere but can't seem to locate it atm.

Well, I'm not much into traveling now, but thanx a lot!

:cheers:

Anybody with dimensions?

I think they have one on display at Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm museum, next to the buccaneer on the flight deck.

I'm sure I've got a pic somewhere but can't seem to locate it atm.

Hi to all.

Is there some good soul out there who has some good detail info about this bomb that would be helpfull in building one in scale? Need to 'decorate' my 1/48 FGR.2 that is currently spread all over my work table...

:nuke:

Best regards, Martin

you do know that the FGR 2 Phantom was NOT cleared to carry them dont you?..only the Vulcan, Buccaneer, Jaguar and Tornado.

you do know that the FGR 2 Phantom was NOT cleared to carry them dont you?..only the Vulcan, Buccaneer, Jaguar and Tornado.

UPDATE..Also the Sea harrier frs1..training rounds were carried by raf harriers, but the weapon was never deployed to the harrier squadrons.

I know, but might look nice under the belly :speak_cool:

want to do something 'what if' style...

Also when fitted to the likes of the Jag it was not simply hung on the centre pylon, but had it's own pylon that angled it nose down. I have seen a pic of it on the web and that is why I mention it, but like Spike I still feel uncomfortable discussing them.

these things kind of make me sick to think about and edgy to look at thanks Christ we never used them

and i pray we never do !!!

to be honest theres a certain

finality and mystique when you look at merv's middle photo of the "angry one "

i have to say i truly admire gents like you merv ! constantly training for the maybe needful

but hopefully avoidable .

thanks for your service

jim

Do you know if the diameter of 8in is the main diameter or just the diameter of the rear part and how accurate are the dimensions?

hi smirtec i really dont know anything about them

sorry , just had a scan about when you said you needed help mate

these things kind of make me sick to think about and edgy to look at thanks Christ we never used them

and i pray we never do !!!

to be honest theres a certain

finality and mystique when you look at merv's middle photo of the "angry one "

i have to say i truly admire gents like you merv ! constantly training for the maybe needful

but hopefully avoidable .

thanks for your service

jim

hi smirtec i really dont know anything about them

sorry , just had a scan about when you said you needed help mate

Thanks Jim,

We not only hat to load them but also 'render them beyond enemy use' should Bruggen/Larbruch ect be over-run by Red Forces.

Note on the center photo,they are all wearing Radiation Doseimeters on their clothes.(the red 'square' on their shoulder tabs) oh,& the captions are wrong!Since when did RAF Policemen wear groundcrew overalls?Besides,they would'nt be allowed anywhere near the prep/storeage sheds or the aircraft.

Smirtec,

You want to do an RAF Germany squadron if youre gonna hang these on it.

Merv

There is also one on display at Cosford and I think Belcher Bits produces a set of British nuclear bombs which includes the WE177 although it may only be in 1/72nd.

The red tubes by the fins contain the wireing looms,the red edges on the fins are rubber covers removed before flight & the cable running from behind the tailfin collar is an earth strap.

yep, planning to do it as a FGR2 XV478 from 31 Sqn Bruggen,Germany from 1974 from the aeromaster sheet 48558 Aeromaster "Smokers" 1/48 RAF & RN Phantoms Part 2

Anybody interested in it can still get it here:

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/aeromaster-s...oms-part-2.html

Thanks Jim,

We not only hat to load them but also 'render them beyond enemy use' should Bruggen/Larbruch ect be over-run by Red Forces.

Note on the center photo,they are all wearing Radiation Doseimeters on their clothes.(the red 'square' on their shoulder tabs) oh,& the captions are wrong!Since when did RAF Policemen wear groundcrew overalls?Besides,they would'nt be allowed anywhere near the prep/storeage sheds or the aircraft.

Smirtec,

Merv

Thanks Jim,

Smirtec,

Merv

your very welcome Merv !

yeah i noticed the doseimeters mate . and like you said i was very sceptical that a snowdrop would be there too

police man LOL

Smirtec

thats a nice decal sheet should make a great Wiffer mate

Thanks Jim,

Smirtec,

Merv

It was only in the last couple of years that the population around Bruggen found out that they had ever been there, see we could keep a secret :) There was a big spread in one of the local papers about it at the time....

Jim,

The Idea of dropping a bucket of instant sunshine on anyone and lighting up their day was not something any of us looked fwd too,

it did have its perks however, there was a Cook that used to do the meals on site when we were on duty and he was training himself to be a professional Chef for when he came out and some of the stuff he managed to make up for us on our 24 hour duty was stunning.... I still remember his roasts with wine sauce reductions, and the hams with a spiced crust he used to do...... he was the highlight of the duty known he had pulled the same shift as us. He would ask what we fancied for lunch and then go raid the main kitchens for everything he could get his hands on to make our day and his specials.. one of my eternal memories of Bruggen, that and the Bierfests. ;)

There is one at Elvington BTW displayed in the upright position against a wall, I walked over to it and gave it a satisfying Kick, something I had wanted to do for years for some unknown reason . :)

Edited by TonyT

As quoted before, if you plan to do a RAFG Phantom, then to be strictly accurate it should be fitted with a B57 "nuke" which was a US weapon. This was kept under the control of a detatchment from the 36th. TFW, which was based at Bitburg, and also flew F-4s at that time.

If you like you can also get a decal sheet from Airdoc which will enable you to build any Phantom from RAF Germany. I plan to build a 17 squadron aircraft [When I get round to it!] :cheers:

Well...

Now I will probably fit it with the Mk.57 nuke and leave the 'what if' for something else. But I still need help with reference on the WE.177 and now even the Mk.57 bomb which I found almost nothing on the web so far, so if anyone has something about any of them please share it. I'm planning to make several scale weapons and thought these bomb might be a good start.

Thanks for the info Starfighter

As quoted before, if you plan to do a RAFG Phantom, then to be strictly accurate it should be fitted with a B57 "nuke" which was a US weapon. This was kept under the control of a detatchment from the 36th. TFW, which was based at Bitburg, and also flew F-4s at that time.

If you like you can also get a decal sheet from Airdoc which will enable you to build any Phantom from RAF Germany. I plan to build a 17 squadron aircraft [When I get round to it!] :cheers:

Well...

Now I will probably fit it with the Mk.57 nuke and leave the 'what if' for something else. But I still need help with reference on the WE.177 and now even the Mk.57 bomb which I found almost nothing on the web so far, so if anyone has something about any of them please share it. I'm planning to make several scale weapons and thought these bomb might be a good start.

Have you found this site which gives basic details of most USAF air-dropped nuclear weapons

US Nuclear weapons

Well...

Be patient Padawan..........

These nice people are bringing the W177B out in 1/48th scale for the TSR2. see 4th item from the bottom.....

http://www.theaviationworkshop.co.uk/resin/accessories/

size references here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...profile_png.png

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...%3D567%26um%3D1

Edited by TonyT