Stored underground, launched overground, some want us to leave, the missiles of Greenham Common are we

Wow, can't believe how quickly this group build has come around! I'd like to enter with this;

20240326_172304

An (in)famous part of USAFE, controversially based at Greenham Common and Molesworth in the 1980s. It'll be something a bit different to join my USAFE collection anyway!

The decision to house US BGM-109G Gryphon Ground Launched Cruise Missiles at UK bases led to huge protests, and especially at Greenham Common, the establishment of a women's peace camp. This actually stayed (in diminishing numbers) until 2000, despite the last missiles leaving in 1991, and the base itself closing two years later. I've not visited Greenham Common yet, but I have been to Molesworth, and a public bridleway borders the former GAMA (GLCM Alert and Maintenance Area), with its large, grass covered bunkers, and watch tower still in place. 

So, on to the kit. I'm not familiar with Model Collect, but it looks a nice kit. Not particularly common, I picked this up off Ebay for £30, a couple of years ago. Quite a few parts, considering it's 1/72!

20240326_172503

20240326_172543

20240326_172735

Some photo etch (eeek!!), which will be a new experience, plus some totally superfluous decals. As the truck is a MAN, I'm guessing Model Collect have done another version that was actually used by the German Army.

20240326_172854

Nice looking instructions (just a sample here, as they are fairly extensive);

20240326_172928

20240326_172938

20240326_172949

So, Greenham Gryphon or Molesworth Missile? Actually it doesn't really matter, as the vehicles carried absolutely no markings whatsoever. What does matter is the MERDC camouflage scheme!

20240326_173012

I've got quite a few photos of these TELs, which will help a lot. Won't be getting started for a few weeks anyway, as I've got two other GB builds underway, plus we're on holiday for the first two weeks of April!

Edited by danbuoy
  • Like 15

Nice choice of an iconic Cold War weapon - looking forward to seeing this coming together

I visited Greenham Common earlier this year and it's well worth a trip. The bunkers are still there (now listed monuments, interestingly) but most of the rest of the airfield infrastructure has gone. The exception is the control tower, which houses an excellent historical exhibition as well as a very nice café! The volunteers who staff the site are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their subject. Highly recommended 

Chris 

• Like 4

Greenham Common is very much somewhere I want to visit if I'm ever down that way. The GAMA compound was also the location of the Resistance base in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. 

Nice project!  One of my former bosses when I started in the USAF was a former launch officer on this weapons system at Greenham Common.  He said that it was a unique weapon for the USAF; his cadre, who were among the first to use them, consulted closely with retired service personnel on the 1950s MATADOR and MACE to develop applicable tactics, techniques, and procedures.  All of the men, including himself, were in terrific physical shape.  They ran, lifted weights, etc., and did frequent deployments with security forces personnel to ensure they got things right.  He told me that if the Greenham protestors had attempted to block their exit during a nuclear alert, the base perimeter had numerous "cut lines" in the fences that would allow easy exit to their dispersal areas outside GC.  He said it was the most fulfilling job he had in the USAF--far better than being on MX alert duty.  Later he switched career fields, and that's how I came to work with him. 

I later was posted to Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, where the 12th Air Force Headquarters building was formerly used to house the launchers for type/conversion training prior to shipping qualified crews to Europe.  The building was subject to periodic INF inspections by Russian verification personnel, just to make sure we weren't cheating!  The irony here is that the Russians were, indeed, cheating, with an analogous weapons system of their own, but that 's another story.  Thought you might find this interesting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks @TheyJammedKenny!, that's really interesting, especially about the training with the security forces and the alternative exits off the base, should the main ones be blocked. It must have been a constant battle against the protesters, and a source of pretty constant irritation. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

a constant battle against the protesters

I didn't perceive from my ex-boss that there was much irritation at the protestors, who had every right to be there.  The real concern was with preparing for the possibility of defending the resources against SOF attack if deployed outside garrison.  Even the launch officers were trained for perimeter defense and armed with M-16A1 rifles as a last-ditch blocking force.

• Like 2

On 27/03/2024 at 15:03, danbuoy said:

It must have been a constant battle against the protesters, and a source of pretty constant irritation. 

Not from what I remember. My Mum took me there at the time of the protests and it was pretty quiet apart from chanting and everyone wanting to make you a cup of tea.

This was mainly a female camp at the time and everything seemed chilled (if quite Hippy) when I was there.

spacer.png

Edited by Mr_Sworld
Added Photo
  • Like 4

Yes, I think the vitriolic hatred of protesters we see from some quarters is something developed post 1980s.  Part of the reason, perhaps ironically, is that at the time this was the sort of thing that separated us from the Soviets!

Great to see the ground forces represented, an unusual kit to be built, and something that really gets to the heart of the GB subject I think.

• Like 1