F-14A display on carrier deck

Hi all,

I want to build an 1/72 F-14A (either VF-2 or VF-84) and make a little carrier deck diorama. My problem is that I want it in this configuration:

- wings spread, slats, flaps out

- canopy open

-fully armed

Can anyone with adequate knowledge say if there is a realistic situation where the aircraft could appear like this? The only possibility I can think of is an aborted catapult launch due to engine trouble or something - the model (GWH) provides for the front landing gear to be built in the launch position and there is the Italeri catapult deck section. But I do not know what would have happened in such a situation. May be someone knows about this or another option...

Ingo

Drivingup to the catapult?

That would explain an open canopy and possibly spread wings.

Not sure if they would have the flaps out already....

Must be a  video on YT somewhere..

canopy closed it seems  (engine running?), flaps out (ish)

en canopy, no flaps..down

I think it could be possible,  wing sweep seems dependent on 'maneuvering room' on deck before the cat.

• Like 2

If you put aircrew in it, it could be the Alert 5.  They are normally sitting on the catapult, crew in their seats, all set up to start engines and get off the deck within 5 minutes of the order.  The Ready 15 is usually parked near a catapult unmanned but ready to go within 15 minutes, though would most likely have the wings swept.

Cheers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CH-53D said:

If you put aircrew in it, it could be the Alert 5.  They are normally sitting on the catapult, crew in their seats, all set up to start engines and get off the deck within 5 minutes of the order.  The Ready 15 is usually parked near a catapult unmanned but ready to go within 15 minutes, though would most likely have the wings swept.

Cheers

That is a nice idea - Alert 5: would the aircraft already be attached to the catapult (nose down)?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

That is a nice idea - Alert 5: would the aircraft already be attached to the catapult (nose down)?

Dont forget the maintainers casually loafing about bored but poised ready to spring in to action ....know this from experience 801 NAS 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

It would be attached to the catapult, but the nose gear would not be compressed until under tension right before the cat shot.

Cheers

• Like 1

I have a pic on my hard drive showing a Tomcat with wings spread , slats flaps deployed and canopy open while receiving a treatment by the maintenance crew on the carrier.

B/r

Michael

• Like 1