thickness for canopies

joeBo

anyone know what thickness in mm/inch clear sheet to use for vacuum forming 1/48 canopies?

thanks joe

Edited by joeBo

I wouldn't worry about it, you'll probably never get close to 1/48th of the real stuff unless you use Saran wrap. A quick Google search says that the average fighter canopy is about 3/4" or 20mm thick, divided by 48 gives us 0.147mm.

Edited by The Rat
Spelling

2 hours ago, The Rat said:

I wouldn't worry about it, you'll probably never get close to 1/48th of the real stuff unless you use Saran wrap. A quick Google search says that the average fighter canopy is about 3/4" or 20mm thick, divided by 48 gives us 0.147mm.

It's still a good idea to know the minimum thickness you can use to produce a workable moulding.

Paul.

I have no knowledge of vacuum forming, but does clear acetate have the correct properties to be used?   If so I know there exist clear sheets in 0.13mm, which is less than the quoted 1/48 average thickness.

32 minutes ago, JackG said:

If so I know there exist clear sheets in 0.13mm, which is less than the quoted 1/48 average thickness.

You usually start with a thicker sheet to allow for stretching over the mould while it's hot and malleable.  If you started with something very thin, you'd probably end up with one too thin, if it formed without tearing or puncturing. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

You usually start with a thicker sheet to allow for stretching over the mould while it's hot and malleable.  If you started with something very thin, you'd probably end up with one too thin, if it formed without tearing or puncturing. :shrug:

Been there, done that - first time was a dome for a little balsa UFO from that new Gerry Anderson series.

Paul.

5 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

Been there, done that - first time was a dome for a little balsa UFO from that new Gerry Anderson series.

Paul.

Yep, me too.  I made a canopy for my 1:48 Stirling, and the first one was pulled from something like 0.5mm sheet, which was horribly thin and wobbly once it cooled :owww:

First pull with thicker sheet

spacer.png