Sunderland Mk V at Far East 1945 - any with blue/blue roundels?

JWM

Hi,

Finally (in a last moment I guess) I decided to buy a Special Hobby Sunderland Mk V. I just did it... It was not easy to find a shop, which still posses it in offer. We will see if it came. I am interesting if it is possible to do it with a SEAC markings, so with blue-blue markings. And I am not talking about What If... (when I always can do such machine...)

The photo from machine at Coco Island, which is from 205 Squadron RAF seems to have a standard C roundels on fuselage and I guess a a late-war roundels with narrow white on the top (I do not remember what was their code...). It suggests, that machines from 205 were operating at far distances from the battle area and were not suppose to meet US fighters  which can be as friendly as friendly fire is, therefore they can retain red on markings... 

My question is - has anybody seen (or even posses a photo of Sunderland  Mk V wearing SEAC roundels? Or it never happened?

Regards

J-W

230 Sqn operated Mk III Sunderlands with SEAC roundels from Koggala - the Italeri kit has this option. They did operate Mk V Sunderlands from Jan 1945 but pictures are scarce. They would seem to be the most likely possibility.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JWM said:

I am interesting if it is possible to do it with a SEAC markings, so with blue-blue markings

As Ed says above Mk III's operated in SEAC markings (230 Sqn)

You have the options (from Ocean Sentinel - Short Sunderland), operating from

Kogalla, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka)

Mk III

EJ143 "S"

ML865 "J"

ML868 H

All had Mk II ASV aerials and no upper Turret

If you can give me a couple of days, I can see what I can find about Mk V's in SEAC

markings (though don't hold your breath ^_^)

If using the Special Hobby Mk V, and you mostly (by 1945) will find that the upper

turret had been deleted from production (Mk III/V) the Kit part of the Special Hobby Sunderland

is pure fiction (a lot of the SH Sunderland interior is fictional)

Sunderland%20MR5%20Build%201w.jpg

Sunderland%20MR5%20Build%201ddd.jpg

Actual shape in real Sunderland Mk V/MR5

Dorsal%20hatch.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot!, I am surprised that they ficional stuff... especially with airplane which exists...

I've been through 4 books on the Sunderland and all the wartime MkVs have C1 fuselage roundels including one assumed to have just been delivered to 230 Sqdn which would date it to February or March 1945.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 9:14 AM, rossm said:

I've been through 4 books on the Sunderland and all the wartime MkVs have C1 fuselage roundels including one assumed to have just been delivered to 230 Sqdn which would date it to February or March 1945.

Many thanks for your efforts

In general, the non-existing of something is much more  difficult to prove then existing, so there is  still some hope...

Regards

J-W