Luftwaffe Starfighter - FINISHED

Having just started one build in the WWII Twins GB, why not start another one here? I'll be building a Luftwaffe-operated F-104G 23+92, construction number 683D-8102, in the colors of JaboG 34, out of this Revell kit (currently OOB, no extras.) According to 916-Starfighter.de this plane had its first flight on May 30, 1963 so it should be good to go.

spacer.png

/Jari

Edited by Jari Lehtonen
Marking it done.
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's time to get this thing started. Below is the sprue shot; detail seems nice and in scale. Today's work was some subassembly building and priming, as well as putting weights in the nose to prevent the plane being a tail sitter. So, not a lot to show for. Tomorrow I think I can get the cockpit done and close the forward part of the fuselage up. 

spacer.png

/Jari

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was curious about which iteration of camouflage you will be going with ? I know these wore a few in German service including the maritime colors. I figure 3 maybe 4 possible schemes ?  

I think I'll go with the Norm 83 -scheme. That is also the scheme provided by Revell in the instructions. The finished model will be a representation of this airframe in late 1985-1987 timeframe.

/Jari

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jari Lehtonen said:

I think I'll go with the Norm 83 -scheme. That is also the scheme provided by Revell in the instructions. The finished model will be a representation of this airframe in late 1985-1987 timeframe.

/Jari

Nice choice with that scheme, thats probably my favorite followed by the splinter type norm 72. 

Finally some visible progress on this bird. First the cockpit:

spacer.png

Also visible, some of the fishing weights I've stashed in there to keep the front wheel on the ground. The cockpit is very basic, and I didn't spend much time in there. Kit decals for instrument panel and side switches, some paint on the stick and seat, a little brown weathering liquid. And yes, I know there's a part still missing. Getting around to painting the little yellow dashes any day now...

spacer.png

Sum total of what's done so far. The rear part of the fuselage went together very nice, on the front part there was some drama, but I got it together in the end. There's around 15 grams of weight around the cockpit and in the nosecone, I wonder if that's enough?

/Jari

• Like 7

Let's get back on track with this build again... I've been a bit preoccupied with my build of Beaufort in the WW2 Twins GB

Today I managed to get my hands on the Starfighter as well. The result? It's now a pencil-shaped thing from the nose to the afterburner, as the fuselage parts are together. I have to say that Revell hasn't made it particularly easy to put the front and aft parts together, and they would like to have the undercarriage in place before mating the halves together, too. Well, I'll try it differently and we'll see what happens. Anyway, here we are at the moment:

spacer.png

I can see some filling and sanding in my near future.

/Jari

Edited by Jari Lehtonen
  • Like 9

I remember struggling with a front half to back half fuselage joint on the 1/72 Hasegawa Starfighter.  I don't know if these kits are related?

Cheers

On 24/02/2024 at 11:52, CliffB said:

I don't know if these kits are related?

Looking at Scalemates, I think there's no relation, this is supposed to be a "new tool" for Revell in 1995, but ... the whole diagram is a bit of a mess 🤔.

Anyway, I've been busy finishing the Beaufort for the WW2 Twins GB, but that should be done in a couple of days, and then I'll get back to this. 

/Jari

• Like 1

Hey, some progress on the Starfighter!

I managed to paint the wheel wells and other covered spaces with aluminum, and then used blu-tack to fix the covers into place for painting the camouflage. So far, only first try at primer, and there's several places I need to do some sanding still. The glazing also got protected and will get a black coat before camouflage colours.

spacer.png

/Jari

• Like 9

Finally, some progress on the Starfighter. I've been hemming and hawing about the green shades of the camouflage, testing various shades and looking at pictures of real planes. Finally I made a decision, and while I've no idea if it's the right one, it is the one I'm going forward with. I'm using Vallejo Model Color 70.893 US Dark Green (FS-34079) and 70.823 Luftwaffe Camouflage Green (FS-34095). 

I painted the US Dark Green as the base colour last Thursday and today spent almost two hours masking for the Luftwaffe green. Here's the before:

spacer.pngspacer.png

And here's the after:

spacer.pngspacer.png

I'm really unsure about the colours, let's hope that the third color in the scheme (70.862 Black Grey or 70.869 Basalt Grey) will make it look right.

/Jari

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Jari Lehtonen said:

Finally, some progress on the Starfighter. I've been hemming and hawing about the green shades of the camouflage, testing various shades and looking at pictures of real planes. Finally I made a decision, and while I've no idea if it's the right one, it is the one I'm going forward with

Its your model I say paint it the way that will make you happy in the end. Never mind if the name doesn't match what it should be. Now from an outside point of view I think the color’s look good to my old Mk.I’s 👀

• Like 1

Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle, that's what I'm gonna do. And in my eyes, now that there's some black in there as well, the colors look like they are close to reference pictures. 

I spent a couple of evenings mulling over the third colour. I tried (on a mule) Vallejo 70.869 Basalt Gray and 70.862 Black Gray thinking that straight black would be too dark, but both were too gray (!) compared to pictures. In the end I decided to use 71.251 NATO Black (Revell instructions call for Matt Black, so that's close) and the result is pretty much right in my view. I'll do the rest of the masking and painting tomorrow, then there's still the need to fix some gaps with a brush.

I feel like I'm finally over the hump with this model!

IMG_4262.jpeg

/Jari

• Like 10

Well, the painting is done. I put the final touches (nosecone) in place today, and put a protective gloss coat on top of the upper surfaces. She looks decent, I'd say.  The slight white stripe between the fuselage and the nosecone olive parts I think I can fix later by brush.

Next I need to build and paint the undercarriage.

spacer.png

/Jari

• Like 8

Another progress report on the Starfighter: she's standing on her own!

I took my time (today's wonderful sunny spring weather didn't help) in fiddling with the undercarriage bits and other stuff so that only today I finished gluing them in position and sprayed a gloss coat on the underside. Still missing are some clear parts around the fuselage and some other easily broken bits. Next up are the decals, as soon as the varnish has had a couple of days to dry.

spacer.png

spacer.png

/Jari

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Well, update at last. There she is, all decal'd up, lightly weathered and having had a matt coat airbrushed all over. I'll let the varnish dry until tomorrow, then there's some clear parts still to be attached and the canopy masks to be removed. It's not been a difficult model to build, but I lost the enthusiasm for this plane somewhere along the way, so it's been a bit of a slog. I am, however, happy with how the camouflage ended up.

Finishing line is in sight now :) 

spacer.png

/Jari

• Like 7

Thanks @CliffB, it's been worth it but glad it's over 😆. Fixed the landing lights in place and decided to replace clear pieces measuring 0,5 mm in diameter (guaranteed to go ping from the tweezers) with drops of Ammo Ultra Glue and I'm calling this done. Here's the final picture, more in the gallery soonish.

spacer.png

Thanks for following, and for the encouragement, everyone!

/Jari

• Like 9