Howdy from the frozen US North East...

Gruntpa

Hello to everyone from a Texan living in New Hampshire. New-ish member. Former Navy combat aircrewman turned retired Army artilleryman. Am an avid aviation buff thanks to my Air Force dad. Been building since I was knee high to an Jackalope. My first kit was Monogram's 1/72 B-52 complete with jet engine noise maker way back in the late 60's next kit was Hawk models chrome plated T-33. Been loving it ever since, this will be what keeps me sane in retirement and out of my wife's hair. Looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here.

To introduce myself here are some photos of the 1975 Revell 1/28 Sopwith F.1 Camel I did couple of years back. One of my favorite kits as a kid and I wanted to redo it and do it justice. Still need to work up the courage to rig it properly. Frame is balsa with steel wire cross wires and a micro motor powered by a 7.5v LiPo rechargeable battery. Always looking for tips and hints from the experts.

Full set here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194245204@N04/

Sopwith Camel 3

100_3577

100_1348

• Like 5

Gidday, good little aircraft, the Camel. Your model is nicely done. Do the guns fire? 😁

And welcome aboard, from a 1/600 scale ship modeler from the not-so-frozen SW corner of Orstraylia.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Hello SgtMac … :post1:  from the city of Chicago. I’m mostly a military aircraft builder but do other types for a change of pace. Very good looking Camel you’ve built. I have a Wingnut wings Albatros V in a box which is dusty as Im terrified to rig so you're not alone. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Welcome @SgtMac7to the forum from another displaced service member. Originally from Glens Falls NY but was stationed at Cannon AFB Clovis NM and retired here. Can't beat the weather most of the time. Great looking Sopwith Camel. I have in the stash a set of the (Original?)Revell issue from many years back and a bunch of re-releases of said kits. Also build the B-52D in the late 60's, was still hanging from the ceiling before my enlistment in 1971. Long since gone. I do mainly aviation but all the other genre's also. All kinds of information for the asking. Looking forward to your builds.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 10:20 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, good little aircraft, the Camel. Your model is nicely done. Do the guns fire? 😁

And welcome aboard, from a 1/600 scale ship modeler from the not-so-frozen SW corner of Orstraylia.

Regards, Jeff.

Bit of a swim to Cow Hampsha USA, good to meet you Jeff, wish the guns would fire lol!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 1:03 PM, dogsbody said:

Greetings from an even frostier place, off to your northwest.

Chris

Hi Chris, my son lived in southwest Wyoming for a few years he'd definitely agree with the frostier description!

On 1/22/2024 at 2:55 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello SgtMac … :post1:  from the city of Chicago. I’m mostly a military aircraft builder but do other types for a change of pace. Very good looking Camel you’ve built. I have a Wingnut wings Albatros V in a box which is dusty as Im terrified to rig so you're not alone. 

Dennis

Thanks! Ah, nice! Fokker came out with some amazing ahead of their time aircraft and nice to know I'm not alone on rigging.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:46 PM, f111guru said:

Welcome @SgtMac7to the forum from another displaced service member. Originally from Glens Falls NY but was stationed at Cannon AFB Clovis NM and retired here. Can't beat the weather most of the time. Great looking Sopwith Camel. I have in the stash a set of the (Original?)Revell issue from many years back and a bunch of re-releases of said kits. Also build the B-52D in the late 60's, was still hanging from the ceiling before my enlistment in 1971. Long since gone. I do mainly aviation but all the other genre's also. All kinds of information for the asking. Looking forward to your builds.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Hi ron, a neighbor of sorts! I've flown into the Floyd Bennet airport a few times on some cross countries only 45 min by air. Agreed with the weather in NM and no snow to shovel, bonus. Loved the B-52 kit same here though sadly, long gone. Once I can free myself from the rat race am looking forward to being a wee bit more active. Currently working on the Kittyhawk 1/35 AH/MH-6J Little Bird. Am in need of smaller fingers for that beastie.

• Like 1

Welcome GruntPa and thanks for your service.

I'm a husband of a retired Navy Chief but being Irish myself am concentrating on Irish Air Corps models initially but do have a couple of Ships and Helos I'll get to at some point in time.  Officially been a Texas resident for a few years now thanks to my Texian wife.

That Sopwith F.1 Camel looks pretty impressive looking forward seeing your future builds.

Colin 

20 hours ago, Philly1860 said:

Welcome GruntPa and thanks for your service.

I'm a husband of a retired Navy Chief but being Irish myself am concentrating on Irish Air Corps models initially but do have a couple of Ships and Helos I'll get to at some point in time.  Officially been a Texas resident for a few years now thanks to my Texian wife.

That Sopwith F.1 Camel looks pretty impressive looking forward seeing your future builds.

Colin 

Hi @Philly1860 glad to meet you and thanks! Took a few months to finish that beast. A few years back on the ramp of the local airport near me there was what I thought was a Scottish Aviation Bulldog/Beagle? in cammo with Irish markings but this was a few years ago. Looking forward to seeing your next projects and let your wife know thank you for her service as well please, making CPO is huge and I believe takes an appointment from congress to approve. I was an AW3 aboard the P-3C II's back in the mid 80's before I ETS'ed out and went Army Guard. Best time of my life was as spent as a combat aircrewman.

IAC (Irish Air Corps) never flew the Scottish Aviation Bulldog. I think the closest was the SIAI Marchetti SF 260 but never in Camo was dark green.  I wonder what it was you saw.