Best way to made an Hellenic F-4E

Nacho_73

Hello everyone!   

I will appreciate your advice to "easily" make a Hellenic F-4e. I could start from a Meng, ZM or Hasegawa but I don't know what conversion or scratch I should do. Ideal if it corresponds to a three-tone gray camouflage. Sorry for so much question but I'm a fan of the Ghost but unfortunately I'm not an expert  

thanks a lot for any help

I am not an expert on the subject too but 

unfortuanetely, this is a major task

Very synoptical,

You need new cone, iff dias antennas, slats, cockpit interior and hud, aim 120 rails  Etc.

Have a look at the conversion sets the market offers to get  an idea of what you need to accomplish, like this for example https://the48ers.com/f-4e-haf-aup-avionics-upgrade-program-conversion-set-limited-production-set.html

You can download instructions to study here:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/zeus-projects-48-002-r-f-4e-haf-aup-conversion-set--1380258

You will also need to collect all the resources you can get.

There are few more conversion sets in the market so  have a look at what other companies offer 

Perhaps someone else can enlighten you more in depth

Edited by frapes75
  • Like 1

By no means an expert either, but the "major task" @frapes75 refers to is, I believe, true only if you are trying to replicate the late configuration/full standard "Peace Icarus 2000" upgrades which were the final Phantoms in Greek service.  While the 3-tone "Aegean Ghost" scheme was unique to upgraded airframes, early in the program (begun circa 1997) there were definitely some airframes that wore the new scheme but did not have all of the mods seen later in service.  When 71751 attended the 2000 RIAT she wore the 3-tone grays but did not have the nose IFF modification.  For modeling purposes it was a standard F-4E with the following features:

- Slatted wing

- Slotted stabilators

- TISEO camera mounted to the port wing leading edge

- DECM antennae on the forward intake "shoulders" (these are similar to the US Navy F-4J/N/S ALQ-126 antennae, a unique feature of Greek F-4Es from delivery)

I can't speak to the belly AIM-7 launchers being reconfigured for AIM-120 at the time, but I'm not sure how visible the difference actually is - and of course if you load AMRAAMs in the bays, no need to worry what the launch mechanisms look like 😄

Similarly I can't speak to any cockpit upgrades, but those would be fairly straightforward to represent, especially if you opt to close the cockpit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If  you find the Aegean scheme challenging you could always try the interceptor colour scheme of Mirage F1 blue and (painted) aluminium undersides. These a/c go from pristine to looking like they have had 100 squaddies walking all over wielding large scrubbing brushes!

They were the standard slatted F-4 E with no TISEO and (mostly) the DIAS self protection system with the shoulder intake antennae (line an F-4N), a small under radome antennae and a two prong antennae on the parachute brake door,

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 1:20 AM, CT7567 said:

I can't speak to the belly AIM-7 launchers being reconfigured for AIM-120

I believe that compatibility with Sparrow stations was an AMRAAM requirement. 

Cheers,

Andre

You can even build one without TISEO and those antennas on the intakes.

Like this one, for instance. An ex-USAF/ANG one: https://airfighters.com/photo/205458/M/Greece-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4E-Phantom-II/67-0345/

Or this one: https://airfighters.com/photo/81544/M/Greece-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4E-Phantom-II/68-0402/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Creepy Pete said:

You can even build one without TISEO and those antennas on the intakes.

Like this one, for instance. An ex-USAF/ANG one: https://airfighters.com/photo/205458/M/Greece-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4E-Phantom-II/67-0345/

Or this one: https://airfighters.com/photo/81544/M/Greece-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4E-Phantom-II/68-0402/

Both of them where ex Indiana ANG planes. In HAF they were called SRA (Southeastern Regional Agreement) and they had some improvements compared to Peace Icarus I and II planes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hellenic F-4E’s were initially delivered in two batches,  Peace Icarus 1 and Peace Icarus 2. All F-4’s in the above two batches were delivered in the SEA scheme, the Aegean Blue was later adopted onto some of the a/c when the Hellenic AF reorganised the Phantom fleet. None of the PI1 a/c were TISEO equipped, whilst all of the PI2 a/c were(with the exception of 71743). Some of the PI1 a/c were DIAS equipped, but none of the PI2 a/c were. Therefore you cannot have TISEO and DAIS on the same a/c. TISEO was removed when a/c went through AUP but DIAS stayed.

Peace Icarus 1 a/c are identified by serials 015**

Peace Icarus 2 a/c are identified by serials 717**

On top of that, 2 a/c were delivered in 1976 to replace crashed examples from the first batch. These had serials 01618 and 01619, these two were delivered in the SEA scheme, never wore Aegean Blue and weren’t equipped with either TISEO or DIAS.

The HAF later received a third batch of ex ANG F-4E’s, these were all delivered in Hill Grey colour scheme and some later adopted the Aegean Ghost scheme, but none of these were modified to AUP standard, as they were in very poor condition, these are easily identified but the Black radome tip and USAF style of serial number on tail.

Best thing to do, is identify what a/c you want to build and come back to me and I’ll advise further.

Scott

Edited by scotthldr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scotthldr said:

On top of that, 2 a/c were delivered in 1976 to replace crashed examples from the first batch. These had serials 01618 and 01619, these two were delivered in the SEA scheme, never wore Aegean Blue and weren’t equipped with either TISEO or DIAS.

Interesting.  Can you confirm which two aircraft were lost pre-1976 please?

I only seem to have a note of 01504, damaged beyond repair on 21 July 1974.

The next loss I have is that of 01509 on 3 October 1977.

51 minutes ago, Andy Marden said:

It was 72-01506 that was damaged beyond repair on 22 July 1974.

The other aircraft that was involved in the same incident without being damaged was 72-01516.

1 hour ago, Andy Marden said:

01506 was lost Jul ‘74

the other loss I’ve been trying to find out myself for years. I’m guessing you’ve looked at Joe Baughers excellent pages, which have all other HAF a/c accounted for? Both replacements were ordered as new builds from FY 1974 interestingly as the only two F-4’s in that block, and delivered in June 1976. So either dates have been recorded incorrectly or the Greeks simply got a better deal for 2 a/c and thought ahead.

Edited by scotthldr