Attempting to build Academy's 1/150 Type IXb U-boat

... or, beating my head against the wall!

I've always liked the submarine kits available in 1/144 scale, especially the U-Boats. Almost every class is available, the Type II, VIIc, VIIc/41, XXI, XXIII, even the Walter Type XVIIb. The only major class missing is the Type IX.

In a perfect world, the Academy 1/150 Type IXb would fill the gap.  This is NOT a perfect world!

While reasonably accurate in outline and scale, the kit was, unfortunately, engineered as a pool toy, motorized with a single vinyl prop and rudder, and rigged to dive and surface, and covered with large holes for switches, levers, and a huge stern keel to house the motor. Only a mad man would attempt to make a display model out of this, that's where I come in.

The conning tower is barren, and features a large slot in the back and deck for a lever to control the stern planes. That had to be filled with .180" of plasticard and shaped, air intakes routed out on the sides, many details added (not finished yet)

Before:

Tower 1

After:  (work ongoing)

Image3

The stern had a single screw and rudder, and a huge square keel for the motor:

Stern 1

Stern 2

The ugly parts were cut off, and filled with .060" card, and sections of a 1/48 P-38 drop tank (right shape and radius!), and shafts, props, diving planes and rudders from a discarded Revell 1/125 Type VII kit were resized, reshaped and fit ...

Image1

Image2

All the holes in the hull and deck were also filled with .060" card (the white line along the hull is also plasticard, as the kit had a rubber gasket along there)

Image4

I don't know how long this is going to take, but I've convinced myself that it is, at least, feasible!

... like I said, beating my head against a wall!

• Like 6

Gidday, that's very clever work that you've done.

10 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I've convinced myself that it is, at least, feasible!

Looking at what you've already done I think so too. Good luck with it. Regards, Jeff.

I'm tackling this one section at a time (worst first), and I've pretty much got the stern finished.

Image4

Image5

... it was actually more complex than I thought at first, while the tapered stern was from a P-38 drop tank, the stern torpedo doors were P-51 'paper' tanks!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

the tapered stern was from a P-38 drop tank, the stern torpedo doors were P-51 'paper' tanks!

Gidday rather ironical in that parts of US warbirds get used to modify a German U-boat. 🙂 But very clever work here. Regards, Jeff.

I started looking at the bow segment, and found that the rake on the stem was too acute, and straight. I sawed back to the planes cutout to split the bow, added a piece of .030", and trimmed to shape. It will be faired in with Milliput when dry.

bow 1

bow 4

bow 5

• Like 6

I have built one of these, and I can tell you from experience you're doing a fine job of turning  a pigs ear Into a fine looking U-boat.

( I gave up on accuracy with mine, and just built it as the pool toy that comes in the box. But, as far as function goes, ... it can dive and move about in the water .... at about a scale 150 knots per hour ! )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

this would have been a lot easier if Academy had made a model, instead of a pool toy!

Ah yes, but where would the challenge be? 🙂 I've sometimes felt the same with some of the more crude and simple Airfix ship kits. but then, they're relatively cheap. (When you could still get them).

I think you've done a marvelous job of this and it certainly doesn't look like a pool toy now.       Regards, Jeff.

More work done on the tower, carved a new anchor, and have started to add details to the hull. This is looking less and less like a pool toy!

Image5c

Image5

• Like 4