DSPIAE scribing tools

TheKinksFan

I'm almost a total novice when it comes to scribing. DSPIAE has so many products that it's a bit confusing, especially when they have quite complicated names. They have bits called Tungsten Steel Broach, in different widths. I find it difficult to conceptualize what is average width of a panel line or recessed detail on a 1/72 kit that has fine surface, like Eduard's. I  understand that they vary, and I would get as many as possible if the bits weren't expensive. If I would get one or two widths, what would be a good compromise?

I had the Tamiya equivalent (even more expensive!). I found the .2mm and .3mm most useful when it came to matching existing 1/72nd scribing on most kits - though .1mm might be more realistic.

On word of warning - drop them and the point will break :( I managed to break 2 in the space of a year, and though good, I've opted for move affordable (and robust) options. That said, given these are more affordable than Tamiya, I may give them a go myself. One benefit of these over some other scribers is that you can get into really tight corners.

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ckw said:

I had the Tamiya equivalent (even more expensive!). I found the .2mm and .3mm most useful when it came to matching existing 1/72nd scribing on most kits - though .1mm might be more realistic.

On word of warning - drop them and the point will break :( I managed to break 2 in the space of a year, and though good, I've opted for move affordable (and robust) options. That said, given these are more affordable than Tamiya, I may give them a go myself. One benefit of these over some other scribers is that you can get into really tight corners.

Thanks Colin for the warning. For some reason all the tools seem to land the sharp end first. DSPIAE have also sets, they're better value, but I don't think I will ever need the wider scribers. Individual bits cost now about 15€ with free shipping on Aliexpress. On Mojehobby.pl they are 26€, so there's quite a difference. 

7 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Just had a look at their site, some really good stuff on there, and not all at totally silly prices.

There's endless variety of all kinds of tools from the Chinese brands. I believe the competition is really hard between the Chinese brands, that's why the quality is also pretty high. Galaxy Tools, or Galaxy Model as it is nowadays called, has great stuff too. We can thank all the gundam modellers for this abundance. 

• Like 2

I bought quite a bit directly from DSPIAE; they are excellent sellers and tool manufacturers. 

When they say 'Push Broach' they mean a chisel tip, a 'Pull Broach' is a scriber. Just be very careful with them as they break easily. Not that it is a bad thing as good tungsten steel doesn't like punishment. Sharp tools are sharp but always fragile.

The best bet is to go to AliExpress and buy directly from their store (make sure it is their store and not the resellers), there will be a wait as it is shipped from China but it's usually 2 weeks and I've never been stung for extra Tax.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr_Sworld said:

When they say 'Push Broach' they mean a chisel tip, a 'Pull Broach' is a scriber. Just be very careful with them as they break easily. Not that it is a bad thing as good tungsten steel doesn't like punishment. Sharp tools are sharp but always fragile.

The best bet is to go to AliExpress and buy directly from their store (make sure it is their store and not the resellers), there will be a wait as it is shipped from China but it's usually 2 weeks and I've never been stung for extra Tax.

I can't find anything from them named 'Pull Broach'. Do you have a link for these two different types? Are these different tips meant for differing types of scribing?

The word tungsten brings to my mind these Personna razor blade commercials from the 1970s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIVh0v_trAc&ab_channel=BionicDisco

Here in the EU, the AliExpress prices already include the VAT, in my case Finnish 24%, so it's quite convenient.

32 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

Are these different tips meant for differing types of scribing?

The push broach is like a wood chisel - you PUSH the tip into the plastic. Useful for, say, creating an indentation. Not recommended for the longer lines involved in scribing as you have less control over the direction and much harder to achieve a consistent depth. The pull broach you DRAG across the plastic (preferably against a straight edge) so easier to use for panel lines etc. 

This is the link for the push broach set

https://oeshop.co.uk/collections/tools-accessories/products/dspiae-cs-pb01-push-broach-combination-set-0-1-15-3-5-1-0mm?_pos=2&_fid=653fb8d03&_ss=c

I use push broaches WAY less than pull broaches, but they can be useful. If for example I need a V shaped cut, I will first scribe a line and then use the chisel (push broach) to put an angled edge on it.

Cheers

Colin

40 minutes ago, ckw said:

The push broach is like a wood chisel - you PUSH the tip into the plastic. Useful for, say, creating an indentation. Not recommended for the longer lines involved in scribing as you have less control over the direction and much harder to achieve a consistent depth. The pull broach you DRAG across the plastic (preferably against a straight edge) so easier to use for panel lines etc. 

https://oeshop.co.uk/collections/tools-accessories/products/dspiae-cs-pb01-push-broach-combination-set-0-1-15-3-5-1-0mm?_pos=2&_fid=653fb8d03&_ss=c

I use push broaches WAY less than pull broaches, but they can be useful. If for example I need a V shaped cut, I will first scribe a line and then use the chisel (push broach) to put an angled edge on it.

Thank you for the explanation, Colin. As DSPIAE doesn't have anything named Pull Broach, is this Hook Broach that https://www.dspiae.com/productinfo/1026687.html

My main use will probably be deepening existing recessed detail and panel lines before sanding, and less so actual re-scribing. I'm desperately trying to get away without re-scribing, if it involves  complicated shapes. Straight lines is pretty straightforward, but I don't have any templates for hatches and such. I use mainly  VMS black CA and MR Dissolved putty (dyed black with Mr Surfacer Black), which are both quite soft and sandable when hardened, so it's possible to use pretty fine grit sanding sticks & sponges. Kits like Airfix usually have deep enough panel lines that they don't disappear, but with delicate and shallow lines I will try to deepen them before sanding.

Do you think a push broach would be useful for that purpose? The AliExpress store that I plan to order from doesn't have individual hook broaches, only a set.

1 hour ago, ckw said:

Cheers

Colin

Just to weigh in on this, I believe the push broaches (the chisel ones) are not for pushing per se. The chisel and hooks are used in the same fashion, that is dragging across the plastic to scribe, with the blade pointing away from the direction of scribing. I'm pretty sure this is the intended use as evidenced by dspiae's website. You can use the larger ones as chisels, although I tend not to purely because I have the nice trumpeter ones, and changing the bits in the dspiae handle is a bit of a performance.

They (the push broaches) are really nice, sharp scribers that give a very sharp square profile and build up the depth gradually with repeated applications. They do however like to 'walk' so you need to prescribe with a more well behaved tool. As for comparison with the hooks, I'm afraid I don't have the latter so can't compare.

As for widths, the 0.1mm is very fine and I tend to find is swimming in existing panel lines, and thin enough to be a bit marginal to still be there when you get round to washing it. I use the .15mm a lot. The next one up, 0.3mm, is up in 2010 era airfix land. The larger ones I never use, but really should use as chisels for parts cleanup and scratch building if I remembered were there, since they're sharp and well made.

The handle is fine, one needs to unscrew the black lid then use the tiny allen in the chisel set box to lock in the bit; it's a little labourious and I imagine designed as such so that you buy the nicer handle with the magnetic lid and chuck head.

hope this helps

Andy

3 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

The chisel and hooks are used in the same fashion, that is dragging across the plastic to scribe, with the blade pointing away from the direction of scribing

The chisels may well work like that, but I don't think that was what they were designed for - basically all you are doing here is scratching a line, whereas the pull/hook carves a neat profile. While the chisels might suffice, you'll get the same result using the back of a #11 scalpel blade (for a lot less money!)

58 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

but I don't have any templates for hatches and such.

To be honest, I don't think the hook scribers are great for this anyway, and rubbing the blade round a metal template is probably not great for the tool. For scribing with a template I always use a pin scriber - I have one that came with my Hasegawa templates, but a normal pin held in a pin vice will work just as well.

9 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

I have the nice trumpeter ones

I use them too - the main problem I find is that the blade can be tricky to get into tight angles (e.g. at 90 degrees to a vertical surface) - the hook/push scribers are great for this

I was always taught (by my wood working father) that every tool is designed for a specific purpose and should only be used for that purpose if you want the best results. That said, you could spend a fortune on modelling tools designed for X or Y. I think most of us have a few special favourite tools and tend to improvise for the rest!

Cheers

Colin